1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros.Com] Redding: Trade me if I'm not a starter

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Feb 22, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...222&content_id=948135&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp

By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- One of five pitchers vying for the fifth starter's job will join the Houston Astros' rotation when camp breaks in five weeks, and the other four will be considered for the bullpen.
    But in Tim Redding's case, he'd rather go to another team than make the Astros' Opening Day roster as a reliever.

Redding considers himself as a starter and shudders at the notion of going back and forth from the rotation to the pen like he did last year. If he doesn't win the fifth starter's job out of Spring Training, he plans to talk to Astros management about a possible change of scenery.

Redding was handed the No. 5 job last January, a full month before pitchers and catchers reported to Spring Training. Former manager Jimy Williams and former GM Gerry Hunsicker were hoping the club's vote of confidence would have a positive effect on Redding, who assumed before the announcement that he would compete with Jeriome Robertson for that final slot.

Instead, after a good spring, Redding struggled from Day 1 of the regular season. He was winless in April, allowing 14 earned runs over 21 1/3 innings.

"I'll say, 'Do whatever you can to move me.'"

General manager Tim Purpura refrained from relaying his feelings about Redding's comments through the media.

"I'd have to wait for Tim Redding to come and tell me that," Purpura said. "I don't want to speculate on how we would react to that situation. We're only a few days into camp right now.

"Tim's role right now, from my point of view, is he has to make the ballclub. After that, his role on the ballclub will be determined. As we've said all along, he's a candidate for the fifth starter's job."

The arbitration-eligible Redding is out of options on his contract, which means he has to either make the team out of Spring Training or go elsewhere via trade or release.

Of the other candidates up for the fifth starter's job -- Carlos Hernandez, Brandon Duckworth, Dave Burba and Pete Munro -- only Hernandez can be optioned to the minor leagues. Duckworth and Munro are in the same situation as Redding, while Burba is a non-roster invitee who can accept a minor league assignment if offered.

What the hell has this guy think he is, what has he done to demand trades.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is pretty funny. I don't really think that Tim is in a position to demand terms. Trade him anyway. Get it over with. See if there is any package that the A's would want for Eric Byrnes that includes Timmah and that doesn't include Burke.

He's not going to perform. I really thought he'd win 15 games last year. He is the Chris Holt of the 21st century. Get rid of Redding, please.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If only he showed this same moxie in games... especially when his team commits an unfortunate error, and he lets it all go to hell afterwards because his precious "pyche" can't handle that (plus, who cares... none of the runs were earned).

4. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Redding should of demanded the #1 spot! I mean he is that damn good.:confused:

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Redding has acted like a spoiled brat from the moment he got here.Just who the Hell does he think he is?His attitude really stands out because it is the antithesis of what we're used to seeing from an Astros player.
    I'm sure there are teams out there that will see upside.....Take him,please.

#5 Plowman, Feb 22, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  6. fya

fya Member

Redding and a pack of cigs will do it.

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

8. Glish21

Glish21 Member

Tim Redding is a man among boys, its drayton's fault, for not spending enough money, that Redding hasn't had better numbers. Redding has proved time and time again that he is the best of the best just look at his numbers. 5-7 ERA: 5.72.....Oh wait ya he sucks stick him in single A and let him rot.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Give him to the Cardinals for nothing and maybe we could win a few games against them.

10. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Bye Redding. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

11. msn

msn Member

Trade him to the White Sox or Devil Rays for a 32-year-old minor leaguer and a six-pack.

12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Ok so teams know he wants to either start or be traded.

Who would trade for him? Are there teams willing to gurantee him a starter spot?

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Maybe this is the battle that will make him the pitcher his promise has never delivered.

14. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Im sure he would look good in Tampa Bay in return for say ...... Aubry Huff .

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He is taking career advice from Dan Langhi apparently.

16. msn

msn Member

no sixpack, no deal.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

lmao, redding needs to shut the **** up. until he decides not to suck he has nothing important to say.

18. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I'll throw in a 18 pack if they take Timmay ! :D

19. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Get him outta here. Trade him to the rays along with Mo Taylor for Scott Kazmir.

20. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I still like Redding. Everyone is quick to forget that most of his starts in 2003 were solid. There was a good amount of time where he had nothing but 2-3 runs or less given up. He still had some bright spots last year, too. He just has time where he pitches poorly, LIKE ANY OTHER PITCHER.

I'm not totally defending him. I don't believe he is the answer to all the pitching problems, nor am I saying he is neccessarily the best pitcher qualified for the 5 spot now, but I'm reminding y'all he's not that bad.