1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros.com] Lamb to the outfield?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Feb 17, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...&content_id=945377&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp

By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Houston Astros manager Phil Garner likes the notion of having a healthy amount of competition among teammates during Spring Training. In that respect, the skipper should find this spring quite satisfactory, considering plenty of jobs are up for grabs.
    Unlike last year, when the only competition was between five middle relievers fighting for two open bullpen spots, a few jobs are available this time. In the next six weeks, Garner is going to have to decide who will play second, left and center, along with who the fifth starter will be and who will comprise the bullpen.

Right now, the plan calls for Craig Biggio to play left and Chris Burke to play second, with Jason Lane probably in center, unless Willy Taveras explodes this spring. If that happens, Taveras goes to center moving Lane to right.

Everything depends on when Lance Berkman returns from his knee injury. Assuming he's out for the month of April, the Astros are going to have to be creative when comprising a starting outfield.

This spring, plenty of players are going to be asked to spend some time in the outfield. Expect to see Mike Lamb, Eric Bruntlett and Burke -- all natural infielders -- taking a fly ball or two.

Lamb, a third baseman, is the most intriguing. The Astros need to find a way to get his bat into the lineup, especially during the first month, when they will be without a left-handed hitter in the starting lineup. Lamb has very little experience in the outfield -- he's only played two games there in the last two years -- but the Astros have never been averse to moving exceptional hitters out of position for the sake of the lineup.

"I haven't had a lot of talks with Lamb, but Lamb will do anything," Garner said. "I haven't talked to Lamb, but I do have that in mind to [try him in the outfield]. I talked briefly to Burke, and he's OK with all that. I haven't had an in-depth conversation with Biggio.

"I think it's important to get Lamb some at-bats, any way, no matter what. I think he's a good offensive player, and I think last year he played well at third base when he played. We'll see what he can do in the outfield."

I think its a great idea since he can't be any worse than Biggio defensely and we better not start Orlando Palmerio opending day or it could be a long year.

2. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

If they can platoon him, should work unitl Berkman gets back. I don't like the idea of Palmero being everyday until fat elvis gets healthy.

3. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

we should recruit Jesus as our CF

the catches would be.... miraculous?:p

hold the applause please.

4. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

He signed with the Mets. Drayton wouldn't grant a no-trade clause.

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

NO way this guy beats out Palmeiro.

6. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

What? Palmeiro sucks so bad.

I like the idea of Lamb in the OF.

Lamb is one of our best hitters. I'm sure he can become a servicable outfielder. Glovewise, I think he might become a better outfielder than a third baseman.

7. gr8-1

Come on, if he clears this steroid cloud formed by Jose, he's a lock to go into the HoF.

8. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

What? You do know this is Orlando Palmeiro were talking about don't you?

9. gr8-1

What?

10. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Palmero is horrible . <~~

I would like to see Lamb in the OF , his glove cant be anyworse there than it is at third base .

If he can be a consistent hitter like he was last year it would definately be worth a try .

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

The hits just keep on comin'

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I would really, really like to see Lamb in the OF some. I'd just like to work his bat into the lineup as much as possible.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Who knows, maybe he'll be ok in left. It's certainly not an easy position to play at MMP. They need his bat in the lineup, especially early in the season.

I wonder if there is a way for them to recreate the short porch in left in ST for them to practice.

14. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Yikes - an outfield of Biggio, Lane, and Lamb would be brutal defensively. I'm not sure of the runs they would provide on offense would be worth the runs they would give up in the field.

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

LF and RF are absolutely offensive positions. You can get by with a weaker bat at SS or CF, but in the corners you need production. Anyone other than Palmeiro, including Mike Lamb, would be an improvement. Actually, I bet Lamb would be an improvement over Biggio there. At least he should be able to throw the ball in towards the IF without needing a cutoff man.

16. MadMax

i have no idea if Lamb can play LF or not. but i'm guessing if berkman could make the transition, so could Lamb.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If Lamb were to cut it in LF, I bet that Biggio is at second. You are right, that would be an atrocious OF defensively. Although, I'd put anyone out there to keep Orlando Palmiero on the bench.

18. NJRocket

If we could Lamb in there instead of Palmiero, we will have a much better shot at beating out the Reds for 3rd.

19. MadMax

you honestly think the Cubs have a better lineup than we do?? they would kill for Jeff Bagwell or Craig Biggio in that lineup right now.

20. NJRocket

absolutely...no doubt about it.....and a better starting rotation too

Barrett, Lee, Walker, Nomar and Ramirez BLOWS our IF out of the water....offensively and defensively.....

Patteron, Burnitz and Hollandsworth sucks too but AT WORST is the same as us defensively AND offensively

if you think they would rather have Bags over Lee you are nuts....Bidge over Walker or Hollandsworht ? Perhaps...but not over Burnitz or Patterson

#20 NJRocket, Feb 18, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2005