1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros.com] Bagwell making strides

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by l3igballer23, Aug 3, 2005.

1. l3igballer23

l3igballer23 Contributing Member

Sounds like good news...

Notes: Bagwell making strides
    08/02/2005 10:52 PM ET
    By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

PHOENIX -- Jeff Bagwell postponed taking live batting practice on the field until the team is in San Francisco this weekend, deciding instead to hit in the cages off hitting coach Gary Gaetti at Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix on Tuesday.

Bagwell, approaching the two-month mark since his June 7 shoulder surgery, said he probably could have taken batting practice with the team prior to the series opener in Phoenix. But having spent much of the last week hitting off soft toss, he felt more comfortable hitting in the cages in what was the first time he had seen anything close to real pitching since May.

"This is the first day to hit off the coaches and it's good for me just to see how I feel, instead of making it a big circus out there, watching me hit [on the field]," Bagwell said. "I'd rather wait a few days until I feel comfortable."

Manager Phil Garner watched the BP session and was impressed with the outcome, noting that Bagwell had made considerable progress since his soft toss session on Saturday.

"He hit the ball good," Garner said. "He was swinging pretty strong through the zone, had good extension. He hit the ball the other way some.

"Last Saturday, I thought, 'Well, we have a ways to go.' Seeing him today, the results were double. He was swinging harder, he was hitting the ball harder, he was going through the zone good."

Bagwell said he is eying September as a possible return date and hopes to be able to, at the very least, pinch-hit for the Astros through the final month of the season.

"I have to start throwing eventually," he said. "A lot will depend on how that goes."

This road trip marks Bagwell's first with the team since May. He was required to remain in Houston following his shoulder surgery because of a rehab schedule that called for two visits a day to The Insititute of Rehabilitation and Research at the Texas Medical Center.

Needless to say, Bagwell, who watched most of the road games on television from his home in Houston, is glad to be back with the club.

"It's obviously more enjoyable," he said. "I feel like I'm actually doing something baseball-worthy. Instead of having to follow the guys on TV, I can see a big league ballgame from a nice seat."

Stamina: Roy Oswalt may be experiencing a slight case of dead arm syndrome, but he is confident that any fatigue he felt in his last outing will not affect him in his future starts.

Oswalt allowed three runs on nine hits over six innings in the Astros' loss to the Mets on Sunday, and said later his arm and legs were somewhat fatigued. On Tuesday, however, he said he felt strong, and to illustrate, he went for a pregame run in order to regain his stamina.

"I feel good," Oswalt said. "I'm still young. There's nothing to be concerned about."

Odds and ends: Had Roger Clemens not been able to pitch on Tuesday because of the back problems that have hampered him the past week, Garner would have turned to right-hander Ezequiel Astacio, who is scheduled to start the second game of the series in Phoenix. Because of the off-day on Monday, everyone is receiving an extra day of rest this time through the rotation. ... Conor Biggio, the 12-year-old son of Craig Biggio, conducted a pregame interview for the Astros TV broadcast with D-Backs left fielder Luis Gonzalez on Tuesday. Craig made sure Conor asked Gonzalez about his "World Series jam shot" off Yankees closer Mariano Rivera in 2001, and if it is true that Gonzalez keeps a tanning bed in the D-backs clubhouse. ... The Diamondbacks begin their home games at 6:40 p.m. MST, Monday through Saturday. Wednesday's game begins at 7:10 p.m. MST because it is being televised by ESPN2.

Coming up: The series in Arizona continues on Wednesday, beginning at 9:10 p.m. CT. Astacio (1-4, 7.17 ERA) will face D-Backs left-hander Brad Halsey (7-7, 3.81 ERA).

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

he hit the ball WELL, phil. not good. well. :)

3. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I am happy to read this. Imagine a championship next year. Clemens, Biggio, Bags, Pettitte,... can all retire champions.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Who let the dawgs out, woof, woof!! Baggy!!

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

It would be sweet to get him back in late September...

6. msn

msn Member

I keep hoping for the near impossible. I keep wishing Bags could come back, hit about .280 with 7 or 8 jacks and 15 or so RBI's in September, play in the postseason, and reach 500 dingers next year.

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

would we throw him back out at first, or do yall think he'd be relegated to pinch hitting? berkman back to the OF?

help me out here.

8. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

i really doubt garner would risk playing him at first, or anywhere else on the field for that matter. being able to swing the bat and being able to play first base are 2 completely separate issues. i am glad to hear that bags is hopeful to return in september, but i think the best we can hope for is some quality pinch-hitting at-bats, and of course, with bagwell being the designated hitter in away games in the world series ;)

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

So you're telling me that you'd rather insert Chris Burke, Jason Lane, Mike Lamb or Orlando Palmeiro in the line up then a recovering Jeff Bagwell? I think not. If Bags is well enough to play, he should play... I mean we are paying him 18 million dollars this season to play, not to mention that he is a Hall of Famer who deserves his shot. Obviously once he comes back he is going to be worked into the line up with pinch hitting duties and some spot starts, but if he comes back in September and is well enough to play everyday, he should.

A Jeff Bagwell at 60-70% is better then any other option we have, and he is easily our best option at first base even with a bad arm. Mike Lamb and Lance Berkman are far from great first basemen, and Bagwell was gold glove caliber in his prime and he still has a good glove, all we have to worry about is his arm (but we have for 3+ seasons now). If there is ANY chance that Bagwell can be a day to day player in the Playoffs we need to get him all the work he can get in the last few weeks of the season... him sitting on the bench does us no good.

10. msn

msn Member

If he can't throw, he can't throw.

I want to see Bagwell at 1B every day, too, but the searing pain every time he attempted a throw caused him increasing difficulty at the plate as well.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Great news. Man, my dream still may be possible. Come on Bagwell!

12. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Good Luck Baggy . It would be nice to have him be able to contribute somehow this season . :cool:

13. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

It would be great if he could help give us that extra bat for the strench run into the playoffs. Then we can sub him for someone that can hit in the playoffs. :D

OK, that was just wrong, i'm kidding, he did pretty good last year. :cool:

Go Bags! We need you and you still have as good plate disiciple as anone one the team. ;)

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

This news gladdens my heart.

But I have a question......

Did the June 7 surgery fix everything wrong with his shoulder? Or if he still going to continue to experience bout of pain and discomfort in that should for the rest of his career?

Basically, is he going to play baseball again (in the majors) healthier than he has been in the last 3 years?

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Healthier than he has been in the past 3 years - YES
    How good he is going to play overall is the question and i'm sure he will have some discomfort but nothing like he had the past 3 years.

16. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Bacically his shoulder is ruined. After he retires he'll need shoulder replaceplant. The guy can't even sleep w/o waking up in pain. Nor thow from 1st to 3rd base. Maybe he can now, i remember when he couldn't in spring training.

I give next year as his last and a 1st ballot HOF'er. The writers know the pain he's been going through which seperates him from Frank Thomas. Plus being a likeable on the same team your whole career guy gets you a few extra votes. I wish we could replace him next year, but why would he give up the money? :confused: