1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros @ Cardinals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 14, 2004.

1. AGBee

AGBee Member

KILLER Biggio defense! :eek:

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Biggio seems to lack a certain coordination needed to play in the outfield. He doesn't seem to be able to judge the trajectory of the projectile in a satisfactory manner. ;)

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Anybody have any clue what Garner wanted to talk to Tim McClelland about? (tonight's third base umpire).

At first, I thought he was going to ask him to check Luna's bat to see if it was tampered (corked) with.

You do remember that McClelland was the one who ejected George Brett over the pine-tar incident, and sent Brett into probably the greatest baseball hissy of all time.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Blame Beltran for this loss.

5. Surfguy

I think this one is freaking over! #*$(

6. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

blame the hitters for the loss.

7. AGBee

AGBee Member

Blame Beltran for the wild pitch.

8. LongTimeFan

He's been lazy this inning and it cost us two runners advancing to third from 1st on a single. There's no way that should happen, especially to a CF of his caliber.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

he bobbled a ball that he was charging... he made a mistake.

Where was he being "lazy?"

In the longrun, he'll save more runs than he gives up... (and that's the mark of a true gold-glover)... but he WILL eventually give up runs.

Of course, if this is a battle of the bullpens, it becomes an even worse mis-match in favor of the Cardinals... they've got Izzy, Tavarez, King, Calero, etc. We're trotting out Russ Springer.

Our only hope to win this game was to get to Morris... which we didn't.

10. LongTimeFan

Don't get me wrong, I believe that without him we would be no where. But that last inning was pathetic.

He bobbled the ball too late, even if he would've fielded it, Pujols was safe. Beltran casually strolled up to it, and Pujols made him pay for the mistake. Renteria same thing, but Pujols has no where near the speed ER has. It just frustrates me to see players not going 100%.

That withstanding, 9th inning rally!

11. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

beltran should have gone onto the Cards!

who are actually kind of slumping right now. hope they don't run out of steam right before the playoffs.

who's still good though is jim edmonds. 5 tool player! okay maybe four tools.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Honestly, sometimes when it seems that Beltran isn't going 100%, he's still faster than any outfielder out there... he's just soooo smooth in the way he runs (almost like he glides).

Just watch him when he steals bases if you don't believe me.... it doesn't even look like he's running full speed, but he's still fast.

That being said, I do believe he made a mistake... and it WILL show up in the box score as an error.

back to the game...man... what a 9th inning catch by Taguchi... that's what a good left-fielder will do for you. (Bidge would have been nowhere near Kent's hit).

Just a loss today to a very good team... fundamentally sound, and exploits every mistake...

13. AGBee

AGBee Member

3 losses behind Chicago, not looking good.

14. lalala902102001

We need that goat to wake up again right about now.

15. Elienator

Elienator Member

I can't imagine people thought we would sweep the Cardinals (especially after dropping 3 of 5 to the pirates). I thought before hand we needed to go 4-2 against the cardinals and 3-0 against the giants. We're still in line to do that. We're also going to need some help against the Cubs. Given their recent pitching performances hopefully this will happen.

If we win tomorrow night and sweep the Brew crew, we should be no more than a game out going into our series with San Fran. So, things look a little bleak, but not much more so than going into today.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

really need a win today.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

I think if we continue to win 2 of 3 we will be right in the mix at the end. If we could sweep someone that would make us the front runner. I'm not concerned. Things change so fast.

18. Surfguy

Not to sound negative, but I think we have already blown it. I think we lose this game tonite and we lose to St. Louis again when we see them next series while also losing to San Francisco.

It's just the way of the Astros. They tried to give us false optimism with their winning streak against scrub teams with bad pitching. We can't compete consistently against the good teams as they have better pitching obviously.

To be honest, I don't think we deserve to go to the post-season nor do we stand much of a chance anyway. So, it won't really upset me if we don't go for this reason.

I still give them credit for making a late run. I'm not ready to completely throw in the towel. I'm just making a dire prediction based on what I believe when comparing the remaining schedules among the teams and how they are performing currently. The Astros have not given me a reason to think they can get the job done and go to the post-season. They talk about how they need to win but their good at talking about it but not doing it. To be fair, our starting pitching went through hell with the injuries and still did reasonably well with pitchers I would have never expected to perform.

Aww shucks... :( . I'm ready to be proven wrong.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

didn't we get a new reliever named wheeler or somthing like that via trade? I remember the new guy getting ejected after plunking Lee against the Cubs. That wasn't springer was it?:confused:

20. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

WE got Dan Wheeler from the Mets. He pitched a scoreless inning last night I believe. Springer was signed a couple of weeks ago and spent a few games in AAA. he was the one who pitched last night and gave up the 2 runs.