1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astros @ Cardinals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Pitching Matchups:

9-14 -- Roger Clemens (16-4, 3.19) vs. Jeff Suppan (15-6, 3,97) 7:10 on FSSW

9-15 -- Carlos Hernandez (1-2, 5.72) vs. Matt Morris (15-9, 4.69) 7:10 on FSSW/ESPN

9-16 -- Brandon Backe (3-3, 4.44) vs. Jason Marquis (14-4, 3.58 ) 7:10 on KNWS

#1 Castor27, Sep 14, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I believe Backe is now starting the third game of the series...

And with that, it becomes a WWW. Expect the last two games to be high high scoring affairs, with Lidge beating Isringhausen both times.

3. red

red Contributing Member

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    i believe

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

To my way of thinking this is a make or break series. Good Guys need to win 2 (at least) to prove they deserve to be in play offs.

Go'stros!

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't know about "make or break"... that may be next week in San Fransisco.

You don't normally win series agains the Cardinals... just look at their record... the fact is even though these teams may be evenly matched on paper, their record gives them an heir of confidence which enables them to believe that they WILL WIN every game and every series.

And, if the Astros can somehow manage to take 4 of 6 from the Cardinals, I will be ultimately satisfied with the team's effort for the season, given that they were without Wade Miller and Andy Pettite for most of it.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Have to win 2 out of 3. I think it will go WLW. Backe will pitch well with the confidence that he is now considered the #3 starter.

I don't think this series is as "make or break" as the media has. It is definetly important. I would tend to agree with Nick that the series with SF is more make or break. I also believe that the series at home with the Brewers is very important. Can't let them do what they did to us last year.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

This one is not even close. Astros sweep.

8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I love the confidence man...

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

After playing a bunch of scrub teams over the last few weeks, this is where we our put in our place, i.e. the beginning of the end. The Astros are notorious for choking in the big games. As a realist, I see no reason why this trend should not continue. However, as an optimist, I'm hoping for the best. Play ball!

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

To rephrase, or to expound -- I don't believe they 'get' to SF without showing up v The Redbirds. Thus and therefore, I believe Clemens must step up (yet again, yes again!!!) tonite. Big time. If (WHEN!) Roger shows the way then Carlos can seal the deal. Backe? Better than Munro (tho I love Munro. Grit. Determination. EFFORT. Just no talent).

11. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

LLL

A very close series :(

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

With postseason on the line, every game a must-win

The last time the Houston Astros faced a more important game at Busch Stadium than the one they will play Tuesday night was the final day of the 2001 season, when Shane Reynolds beat St. Louis, 9-2, to give Houston the National League Central Division title and the Cardinals the Wild Card berth.

That year, both teams finished the regular season with identical 93-69 records, but Houston did the celebrating in the Busch Stadium clubhouse.

This time, the margin isn't nearly as close, as the Cardinals have the best record in baseball and are in position to clinch the NL Central in as few as three days. Meanwhile the Astros, 17 games behind St. Louis but only one game out in the Wild Card race, desperately need victories against Tony La Russa's rampaging Cardinals.

"They are a powerful team," Houston manager Phil Garner said of the Cardinals. "It's not by accident they've got the best record. Some teams get hot early, others late and some in the middle of the year. They've been rolling since early on and haven't slowed up a bit. We've certainly got our work cut out for us."

The Astros, 22-6 since Aug. 14, will send ace Roger Clemens to the mound against St. Louis right-hander Jeff Suppan in the first game. Clemens (16-4) along with right-hander Roy Oswalt (17-9) are a combined 15-2 in their last 23 games. Their contributions at the top of the rotation, along with a resurgence by the Astros' offense, have fueled Houston's rise in the race.

"Roy or myself, we're just going to have to continue to do what we've been doing. That's win and get quality starts," Clemens said after his last start. "We've had the luxury of pitching with the lead. That's been nice. I said before we've had some young guys who are getting on-the-job training. Now they're getting pennant race training. It's going to be time for them to step up and really show that they belong."

Besides the motivation of a Wild Card berth, the Astros would also like to get out of town before the Cardinals clinch the division. Nobody likes to watch a rival celebrate clinching a crown, and the Astros have witnessed it often enough. The Cardinals' magic number to nail down the division is five, but just three to mathematically eliminate the Astros.

Of course the priority for Houston is the Wild Card. After the Astros close out their series with the Cardinals, they will go back home, where they will play nine of their remaining 15 games. The only road trip Houston has left after St. Louis is a six-game journey to San Francisco and Milwaukee. The Giants are currently on top in the Wild Card race and the Astros want to get to SBC Park close enough to the leaders to control their own destiny.

To accomplish that, Houston must not stumble in St. Louis. The Astros have reached a point in the season where they cannot afford to lose any more series. With so many teams involved -- as of Monday afternoon, six were within 4 1/2 games of the Wild Card lead -- every game is a precious opportunity.

"We understand this is going to be a tough series," Astros first baseman Jeff Bagwell said. "It's always tough against St. Louis. They have nothing to lose. We have a lot to lose. That's a tough thing. We're going to have to swing the bats, because we certainly know they are. We can't hit like we did here (in Pittsburgh)."

St. Louis is coming off a 2-4 road trip to southern California. The Astros lost three of five at Pittsburgh over the weekend. Both teams had a day to rest on Monday to set the stage for this all-important series.

"We know right now that every game is a must-win," Astros closer Brad Lidge said. "There's no different mentality than in any other series. We have to win whenever we can, and that's it."

#12 across110thstreet, Sep 14, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

14. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Believe

15. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I believe in the Astros but this Cardinal lineup is unreal. After Clemens tonight they will go up against 2 minor league pitchers and its gonna get real ugly. WLL The next two games might be like on the 4th of July when the Rangers hit about a million homers on us.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Clemens hasn't exactly been shutting people down in the 2nd half. I hope he brought his "A" game.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

WLW. Let's go Stros!

18. sm0d

sm0d Contributing Member

Amen.

19. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

20. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

WTW

The first tie in ages.