1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros @ Brewers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 24, 2004.

1. MONON

MONON Member

Redding's a head case that couldn't handle a the pressure of a 8 game run for the roses.

2. edc

edc Contributing Member

Not really. The only "waste" is that he didn't get the victory. The team won. Roger's ERA continues the downward trend, and another impressive performance. IMHO, the Cy Young is his to lose.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Clemens is just amazing! 12ks in 7 1/3 scoreless innings.....dayum.

4. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Aaaaahh

We agree on something. Well said sir.

Nonetheless this season has been both painful and exciting, and Roger has definitely been a huge part of the excitement.

5. lalala902102001

Let's hope that the Astros can find a way to bring back Roger for another season.

6. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Common bats!

0-1 Brewers in the 3rd

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The old Stros are back. We somehow can't score any runs against the Brewers stellar pitching staff. :confused:

8. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

3-0 Brewers ... Cmon Stros ... We've got to get some runs ... The Brewers pitching staff IS NOT this dominant.

Also ... Mets have bases loaded no one out

EDIT: And of course they can't even score 1

#48 RocketManJosh, Sep 25, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Garner's lost his mind putting Redding in there. That's not exactly my idea of trying to keep runs from scoring. Things do not appear to be going well. 5-0 Brewers

10. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Yeah, I think its pretty much over now. This team has not hit for about 2/3rds of the season. A couple of hot streaks thrown in is all they've done all year. It really is time to breakup this team and get some younger more reliable bats.

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

If I was him I wouldn't want to. He's had a great season and is one of the league leaders in wins, but on any other contender you've got to figure he'd have at least a few more. I kind of doubt he'll go play for another team like some people believe; my guess is he hangs it up for good after this season.

Don't get me wrong, I want him back next year - I just don't see it happening.

12. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Crap the Cubs just gave up a 3 run homer in the ninth to tie up the game. Errrgghhh... poop.

13. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Why not? He's still a Cy Young caliber pitcher who can pitch for a team that'll have won 90 games the previous year. year. Plus he'll still be able to have the best of both worlds, spending more time with his family and pitching every 5th day. I think he'll pitch until his arm falls off.

14. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

The only thing that makes me think he might come back is that the season didn't go the way he would have liked- maybe he wants to make the playoffs one last time, maybe he wants to pitch a full season with Pettitte healthy.. Since he's such an intense competitor, I would be very surprised if he were satisfied with this season, even with his personal stats.

but on the other hand, maybe winning another Cy Young will be enough of a high note for him to go out on.

15. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

great...we blew a chance to make up a game:mad:

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Clemens may come back to pitch a full season with his buddy, Andy. After all, it was Andy who helped bring him back to play in Houston. Yet, they never got a real chance to show what they can both do for Houston. It was great what we did without Andy. Just think about what we can do with a healthy Andy...and Roger.

Who knows, though? He may hang it up but it would be a shame. I think it's a lot to say your going(or want to) to bring a championship to your hometown but expect to do it in the first and only one season. I hope he has the mindset where he wants to give it another go with a healthy Andy back. There are no guarantees, however.

He's still got it. He lives in the vicinity. He gets some perks in the contract. If we totally ditch the current team and go in another direction, then I don't think he will be back. If we try another go while retaining most of our current roster(+/- a few players), then it might be still in his interests to come back.

A second season would answer a lot of questions about how good we could be with Roger and Andy both healthy for most of the season. I like our pitching staff next year if it works out. We had so much potential starting out that was never realized. A few changes on offense and in the field....it could be another season of real excitement.

Surf

17. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I think he will come back for at least another season for the reasons mentioned above and for a shot at possibly reaching 350 wins.

18. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Cubs LOSE. The pain. It hurts mom.

19. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Well at least we are still 2.5 games back because they lost ... All I am hoping for is for them to be within 2 games at the start of the last series of the season. It's possible for Atlanta to take 2 out 3 from the Cubs in preparation for the playoffs while we could sweep the Rockies. I think getting within 2 games by that point needs to be the goal right now

20. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

The Astros do well as long the national spotlight in NOT on them (regarding the winning streak). Once everyone started to pay attention them they go back into their old ways. :(

Makes you wonder how they are expected to handle the pressure of the playoffs.

#60 DavidS, Sep 25, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2004