1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Break Even Again

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by msn, Sep 6, 2022.

1. msn

msn Member

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We were in the tail end of the Boom/Bust (all in) cycle at that time. This club is built for sustained success so I expect a different result. We still have fans stuck in the Boom/Bust (All In) mentality.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its nice to know.... but not necessarily a make/break milestone for me.

Over the last 8 years, they've had more sustained success than any Astros team (hell, any HOUSTON team) in history. There's a very good chance this team will not have another run like this in any of our lifetimes (and the run isn't over yet... not by a long shot).

I'm grateful to be at the point of my life where I can fully appreciate this golden era, having lived through the past perceived "golden eras"... and even if they don't pull off another WS ring, I'm perfectly content with the ride they've given us.

I didn't even mind the rebuild as much... or the daily "promote Springer" posts I annoyed everybody with... it was a formative time here and all of you who were sticking with it (or never left) know how much more this can be appreciated having suffered through the worst of the worst.

msn, arkoe and dmoneybangbang like this.
  4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

While it is the best given we won a title and been to a couple of more WS, but the Biggio & Bagwell run was amazing. We had only one losing season from 1992-2006 (and a great 2008 run killed by a hurricane). Heck, despite the limited title winning, the Astros were very successful franchise from 1969 on, only losing 90 games twice until the teardown.

Also hard for anything to eclipse the Olajuwon era for the Rockets.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... that was the previous great era, although the 2005 World Series run wasn't much due to Biggio (and Bagwell was out till the end). They were still topping out with celebrations for winning a division or making the wild card. This run is better. And for the rockets, the clutch city years were amazing... this run is by all accounts more successful/historic/lasting compared to the rest of the league.

Those other runs will always be looked at with slightly elevated status because they were the "first" sustained or pinnacle success for either team.

Another way I look at it is that those other runs were big for Houstonians but unfortunately didn't register much on the national scale. The current Houston Astros are very much in the pantheon of all decade-type teams and this should only get further appreciated with time.

6. vince

vince Member

https://houston.sbnation.com/housto...r-died-ed-wade-fired-by-astros-boss-jim-crane

This was a good article about where the Astros where when Crane bought the team. They were in a no-win situation, simply putting bandages when stitches were necessary. Essentially the Astros were busy chasing .500 ball, perhaps too delusional to realize they didn’t have the horses to compete.

I will say, I am glad that Drayton sold the team when he did, because I think he’d of settled for a bag of peanuts for Altuve if he’d of known how good Altuve would be. And I liked Drayton McLane, as he was the owner of another great era of Astros baseball, the Bagwell/Biggio teams. I just don’t think Drayton knew how to move on from Bagwell and Biggio bygone years.

But this Altuve era Astros has been special to watch. It’s been such a privilege to follow the fascinating rebuild, winning, retooling, sustained excellence of this eras Astros; hence when a rebuilding goes right.