1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros] Biggest Prospect Dissapointment

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by T Rex, Jun 22, 2005.

?

Which young prospects have been the Astros' biggest dissapointments?

1. Ezequiel Astacio

26 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. Brandon Backe

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  3. Chris Burke

64 vote(s)
    50.8%
  4. Jason Lane

21 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Chad Qualls

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  6. Wandy Rodriguez

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Luke Scott

19 vote(s)
    15.1%
  8. Willy Taveras

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  9. other

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

This was suppose to be the year that our young prospects stepped it up and showed that they could play on the big-league level. For the most part, it hasn't happened. Who has been the biggest dissapointment of the kids.

2. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Lane's shown a bit of pop in his bat this year. Ensberg DEFINATELY has shown that 2004, NOT 2003, was a fluke. Everett still can't bat worth a damn, but his glove is what has always been his strongpoint, and he's saved a ton of runs (I'm looking at YOU Julio Lugo). Willy's got the speed and needs to get the bat on the ball just a little more in order to be an effective leadoff hitter. Burke is the only one I'm really worried about, but he seems to be making better contact the past few games, but well, we'll see how he does.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

There really isn't a disappointing prospect on this team. Mainly because there isn't a single super prospect this year, with potential along the lines of a Berkman, Hidalgo, Oswalt, or a Redding. Chris Burke would be my choice, but his problem is more about opportunity than anything else. It's not easy for a guy to move to a different position, not getting consistent at-bats, and getting moved to AAA and back.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

well, so far...it has to be Burke, and perhaps astacio too...though I didn't expect much from him.

5. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

None of these guys have been given enough of a chance yet to be major disapointments. You want disapoinment, do remember these former #1 Astro picks: Jeff Juden, Ryan Bowen, Willie Ansley, Cameron Drew, Robbie Wine?

6. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

On the flip side, the least disappointing Astro this year is Tim Redding :)

7. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Daryle Ward was supposed to be a 35-40 HR guy.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i'd much prefer griffinfan's pick of Ward. I mean, what the hell? Give a guy half a season and say he's a bust? (burke) So many guys prove their worth after 2 or 3 seasons in the L. At least give our guy 1 full one before saying he's done. Or geez, give him a full HALF season! He hasn't even started this season all the way.

Burke is disappointING, but not a disappointMENT. An important difference that people aren't recognizing.

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Phil Nevin and Mitch Melusky. I'm still that both were such headcases for us. Nevin turned into a really good 3B for the Padres, and I'm not sure what happened to our catcher of the future after we traded him to Detroit.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it's not just the numbers, though. it's just in watching him play. in watching him bat. this guy was a middle infielder with pop in the minors...he has absolutely no pop in his bat so far.

as you said...it's early. but i've been very disappointed with what i have seen from Burke. and as Buck says...it's always Burke's name that comes up in trade speculation; that tells you what the Astros think of him.

11. mulletman

mulletman Member

how about eric anthony. werent big things expected of him?

i think you could add gerald young to that list too

12. MykTek

MykTek Member

every shortstop prospect to date.....besides adam everett....for now.....

13. kaleidosky

he did have the longest HR hit at the dome. that's big ;)

14. kaleidosky

understandable. But we all said the same about morgan last year. Not to say I expect the same thing. But ensberg had that happen, everett was pretty bad when he first came up...this isn't all that abnormal.

I think we just had expectations that were a little too high coming in. With this many young guys playing, to be getting great production from even one (Taveras) is what we should have hoped for, I think. And another one or 2 in time.

(If teams are still willing to trade for Burke--not sure if they are or not--then that tells you what other teams still think of his talent and potential, even if he hasn't shown it yet in the ML)

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Apparently no one is willing to trade for Burke. I don't know the willingness to trade anything of value for him. I know the Astros have offered him up and they haven't made a trade yet.

As for the Ensberg comparison...Ensberg performed far better in his first 100+ AB's:

Ensberg's 2002
    132 AB's
    .242 AVG
    .346 OBP
    .394 SLG

Burke's 2005
    112 AB's
    .188 AVG
    .238 OBP
    .259 SLG

Burke hasn't even shown flashes. That's what's concerning..that and the fact he was touted as our "best" prospect.

I'm not saying this is all you'll EVER get from Chris Burke. I am saying he was overrated coming in as a prospect...and I'm getting that, as I said, not merely from the numbers he's putting up, but from merely watching him at the plate.

16. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

Yep, Burke has shown us NOTHING. NO-THING.

& it's not like he hasn't had his chances. He's young ... I'll give him another year, but like Lane ... I'm gonna be pissed if these guys don't pan out when we could have gotten some immediate talent in return.

Backe too. He has to step up again like he did in the playoffs. If we keep passing on trades, we could be in for a long ride for upcoming seasons.

17. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Ty Gainey
    Jeff Juden
    Scott Elarton

18. Buck Turgidson

Lane, no question.

19. Luis Alvarez

Luis Alvarez Member

WHAT ABOUT RAMON CASTRO HE WAS ONE OF THE ASTROS 1ST ROUND PICKS AND NOW HES A BACKUP FOR PIAZZA.

20. Truth

Truth Member

So when's Hunter Pence going to get promoted to AA? Although I know it would never happen, I'm fairly sure that Hunter could give the Astros better production in LF than what they've been getting right NOW ... I mean what's the worst he could do? Bat .188?