1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astro's announce Dierker will keep job.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Puedlfor, Oct 1, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Is that a good thing or a bad thing??

------------------
    Remember.... You are not really drunk until you must hold on to the grass to keep from falling off the earth.

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Bad.

------------------
    "You look a team that's been to the mountaintop like the Houston Rockets, I'm going to put pressure on myself to be the best possible player that I can be. With the pieces they already have in place and myself, we can do some amazing things next season."

Maurice Taylor

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why is it bad? Was it bad to keep Rudy T after last season? Dierker has maintained a loyalty to the Astros for a number of years, he has delivered 3 division titles in 4 years, he had to deal with the loss of Kile, Johnson and Hampton in consecutive seasons, and he has had to deal with huge injury losses the last 2 seasons. They have had a winning record since the all star break despite a pitching rotation that contains 2 rookies (miller/ncknight) and 2 guys who have lost 16 games each (lima/holt). Granted, Dierker's decisions haven't always worked out, but he hasn't consistently made coaching blunders and it appears from the comments in the Chronicle that he has not lost his player's respect (at least not publically). Also, last year the Astros were 13-14 when Dierker was recovering from his seizure (.481 winning percentage) and 84-51 with him in the dugout (.622 winning percentage). That has to say something since it was the same players in the same season being managed by 2 different people. You can allow for some falloff with the player's concern but that is pretty dramatic.

------------------

5. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Hey bobrek, preach it brother!

------------------

6. JayZ750

Actually,
    their numbers DO compare somewhat.

Piazza 1993-first significant year
    .545 runs/game
    .064 hr/ab
    .205 rbi/ab
    .084 walks/ab
    .370 OBP
    .561 slugging
    .318 average

Melusky 2000-fist significant year
    .407 runs/game
    .043 hr/ab
    .206 rbi/ab
    .163 walks/ab
    .408 OBP
    .498 sluggin
    .308 average

Sure, Piazza's numbers were still somewhat better, but you cant miss the fact that Melusky had more RBI per at bat, more walks, and a higher on base percentage. Nobody can forecast the future, so will Melusky become the next Piazza...who knows??? But in the absence of any optimisim, on my part, or pessimism, on yours, realistically, Melusky is a very good offensive catcher, especially considering he wasnt the every day catcher for the whole seaosn, breaking any rythm he might have had.

BTW, I doubt MAlone will ever be a Rocket, but I never though Quitten would either, anything is possible.

------------------
    Remember.... You are not really drunk until you must hold on to the grass to keep from falling off the earth.

7. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

He has two years remaining on his contract at $750,000 per season.-from article

Jose Lima makes twice that much. Why don't we fire him?

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

countingcrow - I've gotta defend my old Astros Buddy.

------------------

9. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

bobrek, Dierker was my Astro Buddy in 1971. I still have the card too.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

10. JayZ750

I dont doubt Dierker's ability to manage. I think he knows the game and more importantly he knows pitching. SOmetimes I question his moves, no doubt, but that happens in every city (maybe except for the Yankees and the Braves). the reason I would want Dierker to be fired is if any of these rumors are true about his having bad relationships with players, such as Hampton, and players such as Hampton saying they might come back if "Some things changed" You gotta think the Astros would be doing even better if their players and manager were more in synch.
    But I am still excited about next season. I am impressed by the rookie pitchers and know this is jsut the start of a good minor league crop of pitchers. Truby has proven he can hit, at least in Enron, Melusky should develope into a Piazza clone eventually-increased hitting average,good power, not soo good defensively but always imrpoving, BAgwell shows up every year, Hidalgo finally showed what he can do and Alou should be the comeback player of the year. The main questions going into next year are the same that we had at the beginning of this season...middle relief.

YAHOOO! 600 posts.

------------------

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Melusky will develop into a Piazza clone when Karl Malone becomes a Rocket...NEVER!

------------------
    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.

Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the mother****** upside the head!

12. dc sports

dc sports Member

I think the only player that's really publically stated a loss of respect for Dierker is Lima. Lima has kind of a "say what's on your mind right now" attitude, and I don't know how much weight I'd put into it. Lima's had a bad year anyway -- enduring his own criticism -- so I don't think he'd be a happy camper under any manager.

------------------
    Stay Cool...