1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Acquire Gerrit Cole

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CometsWin, Jan 13, 2018.

1. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Speaking of excitement, I think this future Cy Young is excited to being a Houstonian, “Flat-out elated,” Cole said by phone Saturday night. “It’s just an unbelievable opportunity.”

2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Handwriting checks out tbh

3. Buck Turgidson

Who was the bench/asst coach who had calligraphy as a hobby? And where did he go?

Fullcourt likes this.
  4. pw1993

pw1993 Member

With the Cole trade, the Stros just leapfrogged the Indians and Nationals in terms of starting rotation. Fangraphs still has the Yankees ahead by a tiny margin but I can't imagine Tanaka, Severino, CC and that gang really getting the best of the 2018 lineup on any consistent basis.

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=SP

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Looks like Dodgers from that link. Even then, Dodgers are in NL and likely get a bump based on weaker competition.

texans1095 likes this.
  6. mick fry

mick fry Member

Unless CC has done some cardio over the offseason I can’t see him being much of a factor, at some point this season he will fall off. The dude was sweating bacon grease.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It was that he finally looked like the 6th pick in the draft. Teams are swayed by his huge improvement in AAA and I think those MLB PAs did leave room for optimism. Certainly rebuilt his value.

8. pw1993

pw1993 Member

Thanks, that's what I get for reading Fangraphs at the end of the workday. Dodgers, Yankees, they all bleed together.

9. pw1993

pw1993 Member

I was confusing the starting rotation table with the relievers table, which has the Yankees on top:

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=RP

If Sipp continues to look a bust in spring training and gets replaced with an Iglesias/Hand/Colome/Osuna type, that probably puts the Astros pen in second place behind NYY.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The minor league resurgence, sure. Then again, he was that bad in 2016... on the verge of being DFA’d last year without a bounce back.

But I highly doubt those watching the 2 games worth of AB’s (which was during the midst of the trade deadline) were completely aware of what he was going through, and how far he’d actually fallen.

It is that amazing that Luhnow was able to flip him just one year later. I agree with @Joe Joe... what’s next, AJ Reed for Archer?

MadMax likes this.
  11. vince

vince Member

In regards to 2016,It could be the Astros were working with his swing to inject more power to his repertoire. It’s common practice in the minors to sacrifice numbers to correct an error the coaches noted. I’ve heard GMs state continuously that the prospects are working on an aspect of their game, and the coaches aren’t concerned with the numbers.

I don’t know if that happened with Moran, but his 2017 improved numbers were a welcomed addition, and a result of hard work.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

LOL man I did the exact same thing.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Could have been plenty of things. IN addition to what you mentioned, maybe he wasn't getting laid... or maybe he was. Maybe his eyelids were jammed. Who knows?

The Astros are fortunate he went from prospect, to almost being DFA'd, to back to being a prospect... because now they have Cole.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Jarred Cosart - the gift that keeps on giving @MadMax

15. vince

vince Member

I’d never heard the rumor he was about to be DFA’d. But if that were the case, kudos to him for making that much sooner the adjustments to make his myself relevant.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he repeated his 2016 in 2017, it would have made zero sense to keep him on the 40 man roster.

He would have gotten the Singleton treatment.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I tried to tell y'all he'd be awesome for us. None of you believed me.

Buck Turgidson, Hemo_jr and eric.81 like this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Haha... I was right there with you.

Jared Cosart trade leads to..... Justin Verlander (via Daz Cameron), Gerrit Cole (via Colin Moran), and Frankie Tuesday who may be a future stud starter or closer (or may be traded for yet another all-star).

I know Luhnow was crediting the Gattis signing as the "start" of the MLB rebuild... but the Cosart trade may darn well be the keystone.

MadMax likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Don’t forget that Marisnick fellow....

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sorry... was limiting it to all-stars or future all-stars.

Jake is another piece though