1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2018 Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Mar 20, 2018.

?

How far will they go?

Poll closed Mar 29, 2018.
  1. World Series Champions

49 vote(s)
    89.1%
  2. ALCS Champions

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  3. ALDS Champions

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. ALDS Losers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Miss Playoffs

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

https://www.sportfacts.org/report-2018-mlb-fan-optimism-scores/

2. Buck Turgidson

If he wasn't left-handed he would have made a hell of a 3Bman.

Am I the only one who thought Junction Jack was a terrible mascot?

texans1095 likes this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

But, being left handed his glove side could guard the line.

- DD

4. Buck Turgidson

Or just learn to throw right handed.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My younger cousins loved him when they were kids. To me, kids liking a mascot is the determining factor on whether a mascot is good or bad. Supposedly, small children did not like General Admission.

6. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I remember sitting in the pavilion seats at the dome as a kid, ages 6-13 before the move to Enron Field. I'm sure the first General Admission cannon shot after an Astros HR terrified me but I've got nothing but fond memories of those games. Even of old (drunk?) Batty Bob.

7. Buck Turgidson

They just needed more Dome Foam.

eta: and Hot Smokies

moonsh0t likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Upper Deck, LF, back in our 20's. My buddy's crazy ass huge rugby playing brother is there. Fully hydrated. Orbit shows up in our section, throwing one of those nerf fooballs with the fins back and forth into the crowd. Mike catches it eventually, steps out into the aisle, takes 1 step and unleashes a rocket that 2-hopped the pitcher's mound. From the upper deck. You could see the guy inside the Orbit costume watch the nerf fly, turn back around, sink his shoulders and say, WTF?

King1 and moonsh0t like this.
  9. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Well, IMO it's a crappy prediction article, but here's a 2018 MLB Predictions article from BR (written by Zach Rymer).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2765838-final-win-loss-predictions-for-every-mlb-team-in-2018

Here's an excerpt of his Astros prediction...
    Rymer predicts the Astros to end up with the 7th best record in the MLB (4th in AL) behind the Yankees (100), Indians (97), Cubs (97), Red Sox (96), Nationals (95) and Dodgers (92).

I understand the concept of a WS hangover but usually there's some sort of offseason complacency from the front office and players that contributes to that. A great example is the Cubs last year. They didn't do anything to improve their roster during the offseason. The Astros both improved their roster during the offseason and, by all accounts from media members who have been present at Spring Training, the players are far from complacent heading into the 2018 season. Not to mention the fact that we'll be getting a full season of JV.

So, while a WS hangover could happen, I just don't see it happening.

DuBose, pw1993 and marks0223 like this.
  10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

108-54

And WS champs

#30 Tomstro, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

WS hangover is another name for regression. Most teams that won World Series are great teams playing above their true talent level over a short period of time (i.e., great teams playing great beat great teams playing less than great). Astros in 2018 look to be a better regular season team than in 2017 which is often not the case for WS Champs.

texans1095 likes this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I do expect offensive regression from this team. Bregman could get a little better, Correa could stay healthy, otherwise every other player performed at their likely ceiling, or seemingly above it last season. Not that I expect some big fall off, just that we won't be easily best offense in baseball dominant.

Even if you fear regression from this team's offense, the starting rotation and it's safeguards are almost impossible to ignore. We had one of the best rotations in baseball last season, and that's with our worst starter leading the team in innings pitched.

We took our worst starters (Fiers and Musgrove) and replaced them with Verlander and Cole. As if that wasn't imposing enough, we have 2 guys in Peacock and McHugh, who would likely be 3rd or 4th starters on most teams, as our "safeguards". This isn't even taking into account Martes or Whitley forcing their way into the fold.

RasaqBoi and jim1961 like this.
  13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I agree with you generally. The offense may fall off a bit, the pitching, somewhat better.

But as several offensive players had peak or near peak years in 2017, a few pitchers did as well. Peacock is a guy who is likely for some falloff. And while Verlander I expect to be very good, I dont expect a full season of what he did for us last September.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

DuBose likes this.
  15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No but I'm not a fan of most mascots. I have a special place in hell reserved for Orbit. It's personal.

In 1981, I was 6 attending my first game in the Astrodome after we had moved to Houston the year before. Had great seats down the 3rd base line. Orbit came over to us, took my hat, and proceeded to ride around the stadium on his 4-wheeler. Everyone was laughing and having a grand time with it. I was pissed. I didn't cry or anything...but I've never forgotten.

16. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The old Orbit was terrible. New one is among the best mascots in all of pro sports.

Astros win 108 games.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

http://thecomeback.com/mlb/mlb-pred...-rookie-of-the-year-and-the-world-series.html

Ian Casselberry: Cubs over Astros

Last season was a lesson in maintaining focus for the Cubs. The Astros will return to the World Series, but the Cubs’ pitching will ultimately give them the edge.

Matt Clapp: Astros over Cubs

The winners of the last two World Series titles appear — to me, anyway — to be the best teams in their respective leagues entering 2018.

Joe Lucia:Astros over Cubs

Houston is clearly the best team in baseball, and while every NL team is flawed in some way, I think the Cubs emerge from the mess.

Alex Putterman: Dodgers over Astros

Year after year, the Dodgers win the NL West and enter the playoffs as a World Series favorite, and year after year they fall short. That can’t continue forever… right?

DuBose likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm going optimistic today. Astros pitching staff is incredibly healthy this season, Cole amps up his breaking ball usage to become an ace again, Tucker is Ted during the Regular Season.

Astros win 117.

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Wow you know I’ve never thought about that. Has there ever been a prominent LH 3B in the majors....or one at all?