1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astrodome

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MrRoboto, Apr 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Im on board. This does something with it and provides the naysayers who only focus on the sports aspect and not its engineering prowess, a collective f*** you.

2. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Im on board. This does something with it and provides the naysayers who only focus on the sports aspect and not its engineering prowess, a collective f*** you.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Is it going to look any better? It looks ugly and out of place next to NRG.

4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dammit more double posting. I only partially love the new bbs.

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

me and a boat load of other people seem to make it out to buffalo bayou and memorial park quite regularly during the summer. the good parks here have no problem drawing consistently large crowds.

6. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Ok dude

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

we can't do parks, that dream is dead unfortunately. remember the dome is registered now as a historical site so no changes to the facade/structure can occur that would change the integrity and historical perspective of the dome.

8. Buck Turgidson

I love those parks too and I'm all for greenspace, same with Addicks and Herman and others. None of those parks are in the concrete jungle that is the NRG/Dome area.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't know how many times it will take for people to understand. Not only is the site small compared to even Hermann park, it is behind a high fence in an area controlled by the Texans. Taking a jackhammer and plopping a tree down every 50 feet in a parking lot doesn't make a green space. It will never be a park or even a public use space. This is just the county playing on emotions to get a big build going and avoid being the people who tore down the dome.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Happy with the plan. That building means something and I'd hate to not see it any more.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Why don't they just paint it? How much more could that possibly cost? Keep it looking halfway decent and don't mention it.

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Called it! parking lot.
    It could be useful as a VIP parking if you can get to NRG without the heat and rain. People who choose to pay for the convenience contribute their part.

As a part of it, I would like to see the acoustics addressed. In the old days the Dome was THE worst place for music, the sound just echoed around and got muffled into an unrecognizable cacophony. You had to get close enough for stage sound or it was a total waste. But, it could be a super cool place for festival shows, set it up so the stage is in the middle and play to about half of the seats now. Close parking, A/C, bathrooms food and drinks for may 30,000. And no sound impact on the neighbors (looking at you White Oak)

King of 40 Acres likes this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hoarders, Houston.

DonnyMost likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.chron.com/local/article/State-Sen-Whitmire-to-introduce-bill-aimed-at-10923891.php

State Sen. John Whitmire said Friday he would introduce a bill next week that would require Harris County voters to approve a county project to renovate the Astrodome by raising its floors and installing parking underneath.

The bill, if passed, could effectively torpedo a $105 million project to raise the ground level two floors to fit in roughly 1,400 parking spaces.

County officials had said when the proposal unveiled in September, the plan would make the Dome suitable for festivals or conferences and usher in potential commercial uses in the more than 550,000 square feet that surrounds the core.

It has been viewed as a potential saving grace for the aging stadium, designated earlier this year a state antiquities landmark.

But Whitmire said he had concerns about taxpayer dollars going toward retrofitting the Dome, especially after county voters in 2013 rejected a $217 million bond proposal that would have paid for massive renovations to the Astrodome.

"I'm just going to say before you spend taxpayer dollars after you've had a referendum, you have to go back out and get voter approval," Whitmire said.

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

What a complete asshat. Considering it will cost millions to tear it down, and I'm not even sure that could even occur now that it has a National Landmark designation.

This bill should be tossed into the garbage where it belongs.

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Whitmire can suck it. I will survive.

Houstunna likes this.
  17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL

I

Astrodome likes this.
  18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If it isn't cashflowing 10 years from now, can we string up Ed Emmett?

(In a metaphorical sense.)

J.R. likes this.
  20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

That would give Cynthia Woods Mitchell a run for its money.