1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astro Power Rankings

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MontgomeryWard, Jul 12, 2001.

1. MontgomeryWard

It is now time for stretch part of the season.

And this is how they have the Astros rated.

CNNSI.com: 10... Houston Astros
    They're 20-4 in games started by rookies Wade Miller, Roy Oswalt and Tim Redding. The kids, to borrow a phrase, are alright.

ESPN.com: 9... So much for the Enron advantage: Lance Berkman leads the league with a .381 average, 64 hits and a .472 OBP on the road.

CBS Sportsline: 10...First-half MVP: Wade Miller (11-3, 3.79). Second-half comeback: Scott Elarton (4-8, 6.92).

SportingNews.com: 7

I'm glad where the Astros are right now and expect a strong second half.

------------------
    Question about a Tree?
    Go to the 5th Ward and tell Daryle I sent you.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah...the 'stros are in a perfect position right now. I understand that the Cubs had some team meetings in the clubhouse near the break because guys were stressing about losing the lead they had. The Astros are a completely different team than they were earlier in the season. I've said it before...the Cubs have played their best baseball. The Astros are just scratching the surface of what they're capable of.

------------------

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Stros are going nowhere without another decent pitcher to replace Elarton (or Elarton turning his Lima-like season around). Right now Miller and Oswalt are absolutely carrying the pitching staff on their backs.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Don't forget Reynolds and the bullpen. Reynolds ERA his last 5 starts is 3.64 and he is averaging over 7 innings per start during that time.

With the exception of Elarton, Mlicki and Redding, the rest of the pitching has been very good lately. Based on Villone's emergency performance last Sunday, it would not surprise me to see them give him a start in the near future.

------------------

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

The Astros can do it!

------------------
    Rarely is the question asked: Guns kill squirrels than REDRUM to fools across the nation?

6. PhiSlammaJamma

We have a whole new pitching staff! Woo hoo!

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You forgot <a target=_blank href=http://sports.swirve.com/baseball/power.asp>Swirve.com's Power Rankings</a>!!

We have the Astros at 9.

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of Uma Thurman.

8. haven

haven Member

I don't see how the Cubs can win the division with the team they have. They've been winning because almost every player on their team has had a career or near-career year. You can't expect that to continue. Would be a monstrous fluke.

I think the Astros are going to run away with the central in the second half.

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Actually the Cubs are winning because of their pitching. Their hitting has been abysmal for the most part. Few hitters are having "career" year. They are near the bottom in runs scored but near the top in pitching.

If it was anyone other than the Cubs, I'd be more worried.

------------------