1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As a leftist, if you had a chance to switch out the Democrats with the Green Party...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RedRedemption, Aug 28, 2012.

?

?

1. I like the green party ideals over the democratic party.

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. I like the democratic party ideals over the green party.

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. I feel both partys do not adequately portray my political desires as a liberal.

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. I'm a moderate/conservative and feel the green party is too leftist.

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

.. Would you do it?

Anti-corporation.
    Pro-human rights.
    Pro-environment.
    Pro-constitution.

This is a rather lengthy text about their agendas if elected.
    Now, I'm not usually a big environmentalist. And that's not the point of this thread, but I find myself agreeing with a lot of the things that are on the agenda. Especially the single payer health care system, the crippling of lobbyists ability to corrupt the bureaucracy, and the castration of political power for corporations and its attempt to restore as much power, realistically, to the people.

2. Major

Major Member

Free college for everyone!
    Guaranteed jobs for everyone!
    Free health care for everyone!
    Guaranteed low utility costs!
    Guaranteed cheap housing!

Totally realistic - if you like 100% tax rates or believe communism somehow worked as a system.

1 person likes this.
  3. RedRedemption

Notice how I didn't focus on all the unrealistic ones when I summarized why I liked their party ideals. I don't agree free college and debt amnesty will be realistic.

However, are you telling me single-payer health care is unrealistic? The agenda mentions single-payer. Most other first-world countries have a nationalist health care system like single payer or universal. Are you seriously content with Obamacare? Still establishes insurance agencies as a middleman, something I don't very much like.

The main reason I find myself agreeing with the green party is because of their commitment to cripple the corporations that have too much power in politics. Corporations are not people, money is not speech.

4. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

So, corporations are not protected by the Constitution?

5. Major

Major Member

I don't think you can separate them out, though, if you're talking about the "Green Party Agenda". There are parts of every party's agenda that I like - but if you look at it as a whole, it's bat**** crazy.

I don't think it matters, to be honest. Medicare-for-all will bankrupt the country, just as the current system will. The biggest thing that matters in my opinion is innovation in how to make health care cheaper and pull the cost curve down - Medicare-for-all does nothing of the sort. It puts downward pressure on profits, which is a short-term solution to costs, but doesn't really address the problem in the long run. If anything, it discourages innovation by making one standard system that runs everything - that leaves no ability or incentive for anyone to try anything different. You can't just dictate prices down - at some point, someone has to come up with cheaper MRI machines, less invasive surgical processes, etc. And if there's no profit incentive, no one has a reason to do so. The current system is inefficient in other ways, but I don't remotely think single payer solves the problems with it.

I think this is a definite positive, though I'd argue Dems probably have the same general principles, though to a lesser extent. Dems are against Citizens United too.

6. RedRedemption

True. In either case no party has ever been able to get 100% of what they want and somewhere down the road compromise will be necessary. I guess I see this from a different point of view. Aim for the moon, make the most extremist demands, and end up somewhere where you'll ultimately be satisfied.
    As much as Democrats may say they are anti-corporations, and for the most part they are... but so much of their campaign relies, somewhere eventually, on corporations and lobbyists that they end up catering them during office. I just don't like the idea that democracy is only served to those with the money to bribe the government and bureaucracy with it.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes but would Dems be against Citizens United if it were supporting them? Unlikely.

8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

absolutely

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Sorry I should have been clearer. I wasn't implying that Dem voters would not be against it, rather I meant to say I believe the actual Dem politicians would not oppose it. Certainly I would be shocked if Obama said no to it.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Green party platform sounds good on paper, but not practical in real world, like communism.

11. Major

Major Member

Do you know anything about the history of campaign finance reform in the US? :confused: If you did, you wouldn't make silly statements like this.

12. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

...and capitalism.

1 person likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Only vaguely, please enlighten me. I'm also interested in understanding why you believe Dems rejecting certain things in the past means they would reject it today?

14. Major

Major Member

Dems have a long and non-stop history of pushing for campaign finance reform and transparency. That's never stopped and started, despite the fact that certain years (2008), things like Citizens United would have benefited them. They pretty much universally have opposed things like that.

There is *zero* evidence of any sort to support your position. It's amusing how you would be "shocked" by Obama not supporting it despite "only vaguely" knowing about the historical Democratic position on the issue.

If your argument is that a different version of the Dems that appealed to a different demographic and had a different agenda might support Citizens United, that's probably true. They are called Republicans, though.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

**** it... after living through 8 years of Bush, I wouldn't mind 8 years of the green party.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Or if we'd started working on it after WWII, while scaling back our defense budget and convincing different types of people to live, work and go to school together.

17. pirc1

pure capitalism doesn't work well either. So far the best system is controlled capitalism. That's what US, European nations etc have, with varying degree of control.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Thanks. You are right. What I should have said was that Dems would not and do not oppose massive unlimited financing from questionable donors whereas Republicans go even further by concealing the identity of those donors. To me this is a neglible difference given that IMO the problem is politicians whoring themselves out for money while transparency is just the cherry on top. The presence of transparency on the other side has not yielded significantly better results IMO, though that is a subjective judgement.

For information, I read just recently that majority of independent, republican and democrat voters support a limit on campaign donations. This seems to reject the positions of both parties, although clearly rejecting republican standards more than democrat.

Perhaps more accurately, if the same people who back Citizens United wanted to back Obama, I'm fairly confident that he would accept their money under slightly different conditions. It is not as though Shelden Adelson, a major CU donor, is concealing his identity or his contribution. The transparency issue is just another problem in a whole bucket of problems which are sucesfully distracting Americans from the more fundamental problems which require reform. The main problem is that both these parties support corporates as persons more than humans as person, and corporate free speech over human free speech.

20. pirc1

too many others to name, Japan, Korea, etc.