1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Artest or Wafer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by arkoe, Feb 23, 2009.

Tags:
?

Question seems simple enough

1. Artest

84.7%
  2. Wafer

15.3%
  1. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

If you can only keep one this offseason, who do you keep?

2. Lightfoot1

Lightfoot1 Member

Artest no doubt, hes a man child. I would miss wafer's mohawk though :(

3. fmp087

fmp087 Member

This board overrates Wafer by a mile. Artest is easily the better overall player.

4. jacuzzi

jacuzzi Member

Wafer is thinking way too much in recent games

5. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Ron will have a heart attack if he reads this thread.... :D comparing Von with Ron? :mad: :confused:

6. smallpotato

smallpotato Member

;) Ron of course.
    I think Wafer is good role player,but Ron have more experience and his defensive is much more better than Wafer

7. smallpotato

smallpotato Member

Yeah,I think he is too eager to confirm himself in recent games.
    Maybe he just want a bigger contract offseason ;)

8. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

An All star or a bench scrub who is only starting to become effective.

Hard choice.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If Landry is making 3mil per year then Wafer should fetch slightly lower. Teams like Golden State have 10 of these guys! The Houston Rockets have been so deprived of athleticism and youth over the years that we all get a little too caught up in his talents.

The way the economy is I doubt any NBA team will bring a serious deal to the table. He should be a Rocket. The only worry is a foreign team coming along and offering 4+ million per year, which is definitely possible. The Rockets in their right mind cannot compete with that type of offer unless Wafer flat out wants to be in the NBA.

Same with Artest. Only contenders would want him. The most contenders can offer is the MLE. So the Rockets should have the inside track. Unless Europe comes calling...

10. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

How about both?

11. Eddie5ball

Eddie5ball Member

How about getting rid of batman? ;)

12. Chamillionaire

are you serious? ron or wafer? ron is undervalued here, by a long mile. no way you can compare the 2.

13. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

He is. He's struggled this year due to his ankle and trying to defer to T-Mac. I DO think most people undervalue him.

But I still voted Wafer. If I had to choose, I'd choose the Rockets' future rather than the present. Without T-Mac, you have to build for the future. Keep Wafer around for another year or 2; you still need to see if he's Manu Ginobili or Moochie Norris. Just don't give him Moochie's contract.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Artest, no contest. Wafer is a player who should get just above minimum salary. A nice complementary player, but not more than that. Artest is a borderline all-star.

15. worzel gummidge

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/...undup-090218&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines
    Using the 2009-10 salary estimates from here: http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/index.jsp

Rockets payroll will be around $63.54M. That leaves them around $5.86M under LT while only having 11 players on the roster.

If the Rockets re-sign Artest they will need to either:

1)Trade McGrady to either a team around $23M under the salary cap or willing to trade away 25% less in salary.

2)Make a one way trade of $4-6M (If Artest's price is $10-12M) worth of player/s to a team under the salary cap. I'm doubtful any teams would take on Cook & Hayes combined even with a second round pick thrown in.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Horrible comparison. Why the heck are you comparing Artest to Wafer? :confused: One is a borderline scrub, while the other is a borderline all star lol.

17. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Are you kidding me?

Wow I would not even put Ron in the same sentence with Von.

Don't get me wrong I like Von but he is not the same caliber of player.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

No comparison. I love Von, but I won't overrate him like most people here. He's been a "black hole" these past few games.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

To me it all depends on TMac...again....if he is coming back we do not need Ron.

Ron and Tracy can not be on the same team.....one has to go......

Wafer is going to improve and is a cheap contract.....

Actually I hope the team jettisons Tmac and keeps Ron and Wafer, that would be the smart thing.

DD

20. red96

red96 Member

It depends. If we can get Wafer for 3-4 years with a starting salery of 3 million and Artest wanting 11+ million for 5-6 years. Ill take Wafer everytime.