1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Armed Teachers: Yes or No

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Feb 22, 2018.

?

Should we allow teachers to have guns on Campus?

1. Yes - Protection Protection Protection

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. No - More harm than good

98 vote(s)
    85.2%
  3. I don't know

8 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

THE SECOND AMENDMENT!

DON'T TREAD ON ME!

ARM YOUR KIDS AND THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN!

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

In 5,20,50 or whatever amount of years. Everyone will look back at this proposal (if it is indeed a serious one) and this situation as a whole with bewilderment and disbelief.

Slavery, ruining millions of people’s lives with a war on drugs, telling gay people they can’t be married etc etc etc

There are children and kids being shot repeatedly in school. And a portion of the general public ultimately look at it with indifference, resulting in complete inaction. Wether it’s the mental health of this country, along with lack of health care. While changing none of the gun laws. While dwarfing the worlds military budget compared to the US.

Hope/Change ; MAGA Mofos

Phillyrocket likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. conquistador#11

What if I told you Canada is going to pay for that training? see?

No Worries and VooDooPope like this.
  5. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

@fchowd0311 did you get owned in this thread and run away kiddo?

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

forget to sign out of this particular troll account?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I wouldn't be against training teachers that wanted to. However, it is hard to say that will solve the problem after watching a trained deputy totally freeze up outside the building. Unless the teacher is engaged directly I don't think they are going to be running down the hall like Jack Bauer. They might be inside their classroom waiting with the gun out but that only matters if the shooter chooses their class room.

My reason for increased security is because you will not get Australian or British style gun control in this country in the near future. That would require a constitutional amendment and the numbers are just not there. So if we aren't getting gun control are we just going to see people b**** and b**** but not try and protect the kids?

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

For $345.99, one can purchase an ... active shooter event casualty response kit - black.

Outstanding.

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I just looked at what that includes. It is probably a good idea in reality. It is just medical supplies. Training teachers/faculty to use tourniquets, OLAES and israeli bandages, chest seals, and celox gauze would save several lives every shooting. Average police response is 11 minutes. It will be even longer before paramedics get to victims. It's not that hard to learn.

#229 Redfish81, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yup, that post made me wonder...

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...5838ad0d77a_story.html?utm_term=.6dee9ba09f71

Israeli security experts also say that gun violence is rare in Israel because privately held guns are so rare. According to data from Israel’s Ministry of Internal Security, which registers all gun owners, about 260,000 Israelis, or about 3.5 percent of the population, have permits to carry firearms. Half of the permit holders are private citizens, and the others work for security firms.

At the White House meeting, Cary Gruber, whose son hid in a closet during last week’s shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., correctly pointed out that Israel has tight age restrictions on private gun ownership. According to an Israeli government website, civilians must be over 27 years old to obtain a gun license, although those recently released from military service are also eligible. Israelis serve in the military from age 18 to 21.

Simon Perry, a criminologist at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, said there is little opportunity in Israel for someone to carry out a gun attack inside a school. While security guards keep an eye on all those entering schools, Perry said, they do not check students’ bags — mainly because the gun culture in Israel is different.

Deckard, Amiga and B-Bob like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

EDIT: ATW beat me to it, but some of the bits below are additional.

Israel is making the rounds as a wonderful example of protecting schools. Let's look at Israel's gun laws, shall we?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/20/world/middleeast/israel-guns-mike-huckabee.html

"Applicants (for a gun license) must go through background checks and need a signed bill of health from their doctor. Gun licenses have to be renewed every three years, and require an annual practice at a shooting range. Many requests are refused.

A majority of the licenses are granted for 9 mm pistols. The few licenses for automatic rifles are reserved for people who need them for ongoing security roles. Annual bullet supplies are limited to 50 per licensed individual, or 100 for security guards.
    In Israel — which has a population of about 8.5 million, not counting about 5 million Palestinians in the occupied West Bank and Gaza — about 135,000 citizens are currently licensed to own guns [1.6% of the population]. Of those, 37,500 work as guards."

I am happy to incorporate Israel's approach to protecting schools if we holistically look at Israel's approaches to guns and gun ownership, which seems about a billion times more sane than our own.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, so now you are saying your ignorant comment was "sarcasm"? I'm sure there are people who will buy that especially when you double down on suggesting that I think arming teachers is a great idea when I've said the exact opposite multiple times in this thread...If you are trying to look stupid, you are doing a fantastic job of it.

Anyway, the reason I am talking about school massacres is because that's the topic....you know, how to prevent school massacres.

Do a better job of keeping up.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is a long winded way of spinning the fact that the assault weapons ban was ineffective. Suggesting that it "worked' to reduced the crime using assault weapons....while having to admit that the criminals simply used different weapons is seriously the best way you could spin this?

You do understand that if the criminals simply used different weapons then the assault weapons ban failed.

What you are calling "apples to apples" is comparing the US with countries that have ALWAYS had a drastically lower homicide rate....it's not really "apples to apples" then is it?

In many countries it kills the narrative actually in that some of the highest gun owning countries have upwards of 90% of their "gun deaths" being suicides.

So really what you are down to is talking about how in a some countries that are different than the US there is sometimes a relationship between gun ownership and gun deaths....and in others there isn't. That's a whole lot like saying there isn't a relationship there.

Ah yes, there are outliers to a non existent relationship suggesting that the real issues that matter are things like culture, socioeconomics and so on.

Anyway, I'll finish going through your wall of propaganda bit by bit later on.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Bobby weve been through this ad naseum already. Please don’t respond anymore.

If two guys can’t agree whether an assault weapons ban was effective when the stats showed assault weapons crime went down I dont know what to tell you?

Every poster on this site knows your MO.

I commend you for going down in flames but eventually you have to admit Ryan Mallet sucks, you don’t know what you’re talking about and move on. Lol

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Your spin on the situation continues to be hilarious. When the studies you are citing say that it wasn't effective and your spin is that it was effective....I mean, who can take you seriously? The study you are citing says that it is "inconclusive" because while crime involving the specific guns that were banned went down, it didn't indicate actual success because criminals just used different weapons and carried on like normal.

I'm not sure why you think that you can merely repeat the same spin I've debunked and then claim victory...but that's just not how it works. Your false narratives simply fall apart when scrutinized.

I could go part by part and take down your entire wall of propaganda, but I'm not sure it would do you any good so unless there is any confusion by people that aren't you and aren't trolls, I'll leave it at that.

19. JayZ750

if following the ban on assault rifles, assault rifle crime went down, would you say the ban on assault rifles was effective?

Yes. Or no.

This isn’t complicated.

That other stuff happened is relevant but not informative as to whether banning a type of weapon resulted in lower use of that weapon. Cause it did.

That no assault gun weapon crime went up would point to a logical next step of banning guns those weapons, too... until we’re left with “well knife crime went up”.

I mean I don’t want to be knifed either lol... but you got to choose your poison sometimes

20. JayZ750

Blah blah blah. Ryan mallet. Other dumb stuff.

You realize this is your character right? You’ve seen what people jokingly portray you as?

B-Bob likes this.