1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arizona Coyotes Moving To Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Buck Turgidson

This is a horrible idea.

Bon Ton's gone

MadMax likes this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not in my heart

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

That was where my Houston parents would meet my Hill Country grandparents and drop us kids off for a few weeks every summer.

MadMax and davidio840 like this.
  4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

B-Bob likes this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

missed the announcement. are they here yet?

[​IMG]

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Yeah...that's slightly mesmerizing

Jontro likes this.
  7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I read the Chicken Ranch was a rite of passage for UT students on their way to Austin. Thanks Marvin for ruining a good thing.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Clutch, is it possible to bookmark a post?

Buck Turgidson, Jontro and Xerobull like this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

BTW, Google-foo tells me that's Izabella Miko

[​IMG]

#409 Xerobull, Feb 8, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    ima_drummer2k and Jontro like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

11. Buck Turgidson

Depends on the year, but you're not wrong.

Nuevo Laredo was another thing that teenagers may, or may not, have done.

12. Buck Turgidson

I have 2nd hand ridiculous old stories about Giddings, LaGrange, the whorehouse, etc?

How about "Down at the Balinese"?

B-Bob, ima_drummer2k and Mango like this.
  13. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Nice catch.

Another from ZZ Top with a related theme.

14. ima_drummer2k

Sadly, the fact that this thread has gone off in 20 different directions is kind of symbolic of our hopes of ever getting an NHL team.

Bottom line me - is there ANY hope whatsoever of this actually happening? It doesn't sound like it....

ryan_98 likes this.
  15. MadMax

The market is absolutely big enough and capable of supporting it. Far smaller and less "corporate" markets have succeeded. Here are the key questions:

1. Does Tillman want to own an NHL team...if he's willing and able, he's our best hope, because of the restraints of the Toyota Center lease with the Rockets.

2. Would Tillman be open to having an NHL team as a tenant in Toyota Center, even if he has no ownership stake.

3. Would the NHL and/or an NHL franchise want to be a tenant...can they make enough money in that role? I definitely doubt that the NHL would expand to Houston only to have a franchise be a tenant (similar to what the Aeros were in their last iteration at the Toyota Center)

4. Is an NHL arena in a suburb (outside of the 30 mile radius of the Toyota Center) capable of being the home venue for a team here?

Ultimately, I think the NHL would far prefer to get to Houston via expansion...with massive expansion dollars for the owners to bathe in. Salt Lake City seems like it's a very quick and easy solution if the Coyotes have to be relocated.

The Toyota Center lease continues to hamper Houston's ability to get an NHL team. Doesn't make it impossible, but adds a different layer of complication. That 30 mile radius "non-compete" just sucks.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  16. ima_drummer2k

It sounds like if the answer to this question is "no".....that's pretty much the end of the story.

Has Tillman ever expressed interest in owning a team?

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Haven't been keeping up with this thread, but how in the hell is that enforceable? I get not being able to build an arena in Harris County or the Houston City limits, but did Fort Bend and Brazoria counties also agree to this?

If an owner wanted to buy land near Missouri City and build an arena, I don't get how an agreement with Harris County could stop that.

18. MadMax

Yes, a few times.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rockets-owner-hasnt-given-dream-houston-nhl-team/
    “There’s not a month that goes by that we don’t have some type of talks about the NHL,” he said in a radio interview with Houston Matters on Monday. “And it’s definitely something that one day I look forward to bringing to Houston, Texas.”

Fertitta has been very public about his interest in owning an NHL team since 2017, when he bought the Rockets from Leslie Alexander for $2.2 billion

Mango and ima_drummer2k like this.
  19. MadMax

It's 30 miles...I think everything within 30 miles is still Harris County, but I'm not sure. (EDIT) No...I'm wrong on that...SugarLand is 22 miles from Toyota Center

And no, the restrictions aren't on any other counties...just the Harris County Sports Authority. It means you can't build one within Harris County at all, ultimately.

I left open the notion that another owner could get public assistance in a suburb in another county...I'm just not sure that's a viable place for the success of an NHL franchise in the Houston area.

marks0223, sealclubber1016 and Mango like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

I'm not at my desktop or I'd look it up myself, but now I'm curious what a 30-mile radius of the TC/Downtown looks like

Mango likes this.