1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we contributing to the fall of the west and rise of China?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by sw847, Sep 22, 2020.

1. sw847

sw847 Member

This have been bugging me for a while....Are we as normal citizens contributing to the fall of the west by our views of China? Couple of things to think about. Ignore the political differences, the ccp have done a damn great job at bringing the majority of Chinese people out of poverty. In many instances people around me and on this board have mentioned near “slave” labor is what driving the Chinese economy. To be honest which developing nation is not? Japan did it, India is doing it right now...without technology, labor is pretty much all that can be done to be competitive on the world market. But as a westerner it seems like a “sin” to admit the ccp or the Chinese economy is doing a good job in many areas. How the **** as we gonna learn from their success if we can’t admit to their accomplishments. The most admirable is their enormous investments in infrastructure, including roads, rail, docks, airport, electricity, internet coverage.....etc. how can we bring back production without infrastructure?

Fear of Chinese technology..tiktok, huawei, wechat etc spying...lol...I laugh at people who say this. First of all, you are not important at all, in fact non of us is that important! Secondly the information these apps/devices are collecting is pretty much general information, same **** Facebook, apple (first to collect finger prints), Twitter, 4g providers are collecting. It’s just data collection! Do they provide it to the government? Off course, all of them do, in fact selling the information to foreign organizations. I personally buy info from North America/Europe/China etc for research in swine diseases. Your information is worthless on its own, the general society trends is what is important, it has no strategic value. Does China spy on the west? Without a doubt. Does america spy on everyone? Hell yeah. America has THE largest intelligence organization in the world. Why are Americans complaining about spying? Does nz spy? Hell no, we don’t have the resources to do it. We need to learn from chinese technology. This isn’t 20 years ago where China only makes cheap ****, they produce a lot of high end stuff now. America has banned the export of Certain technologies to China, specifically targeting huawei, IMO it will just force them to improve, instead of benefiting from the trade. Like bill gates has said, this will hurt the American high technology (not sure how to phrase it) income in the long run. China isn’t japan, America successfully stopped the rise of Japanese technological giants by targeting their supply chain, but targeting technological companies like huawei will not stop them, China has far superior resources than japan. I have changed my own views as well, instead of trying to hide my research from Chinese companies then realizing how much more advanced they are in certain areas. I am working with their research teams and learning, now my research speed has improved so much.

Our arrogance! When I first arrived in China in the 90s, I felt I was so much more advanced than they are, almost looking down at their farming techniques. As a kiwi I pride myself on nz horticulture and agriculture. Now working here for 10 years, I have realized nz is lagging behind in so many areas. Our production capabilities per capita can not be compared, especially in horticulture. When 4g came out, America led the world in internet industry, now? Not so much. Huawei is up there and arguably more advanced in 5g. We can’t improve if we can’t see our own shortcomings. Our advantages mean nothing if we can’t maintain it. Ask any Chinese person and they will say that China needs to learn so much from the west, from management, to scientific research. But western society doesn’t seem to realize that a country of 5000 years has areas which we need to learn from. To me, the Chinese people, including government leaders have a more objective view on their own capabilities.

Our self centered views on China is restricting our competitiveness. For us to really compete against China, I personally feel we should have a correct understanding of the country, their society, their culture and their thinking, wether it’s from a commercial standpoint or political. So many westerners don’t have a good understanding of China. How many of us have read a Chinese novel? How many of us have a rough understanding of Chinese history? Unfortunately in China over 80% percent students under 20 have read at least one book written by a western author. Nearly all schools teach European and American history. Nearly all have watched at least one western film in English. Don’t need to mention their efforts to learn foreign languages. Sun tze said only an objective understanding of oneself and a good understanding of an enemy can guarantee victory. Sadly, chinese people/company’s understanding of western society of way of thinking is so much better than our understanding of them.

I feel we really need to get to know China all over again, instead of letting politicians use China as a means to gain public support through hate and fear, just like russia. Otherwise, one day, mostly likely our generation, we will witness China rising to the top and leading the world. If we can’t stop them, at least try to take advantage of it.

U may disagree with what I said, it’s ok, I am all ears to hear why, but hopefully don’t attack me on my thoughts, freedom of speech right?

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Thats a great bit of propaganda.

Nice work if you can get it.

The fact you gloss over how many times china has been caught spying and stealing secrets tells me a lot or never mention civil rights.

I am not anti china and would like us to strengthen relations but china has to come clean and stop with the underhandedness and the state sponsored stealing and pirating.

I really don't care who is "leading" the world I just wish it was done on a countries own merits and not propped up by stealing others technology.

Nook likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What policies do you think western society should have toward China? I hear maybe being more open and sharing technology? It's not clear from your post.

4. sw847

sw847 Member

Your first statement just proves what I said, not every person/statement positive about China is propaganda....

Now why r u so worried about copying and pirating? Me personally, I prefer it. It’s their innovation that scares me. Huawei scare me not for spying, but their technological innovation abilities.

Also, what are your thoughts about America caught spying, even on its own allies?

I am not glossing over anything, they have plenty of wrongdoings, but crying over it ain’t gonna change anything’s. It’s realizing their strength, learning from it and over coming it that’s the important things. Sanctions on China is not gonna work, they are too big and strong, war is not gonna work. War = mutual destruction. Only thing that can be done is to keep ahead, and that requires the entire public, not just the government.

5. sw847

sw847 Member

Personally I would “feed” them. Food, products, especially technology. This will actually increase their dependency on the west.

E.g American swine vaccines were selling at around 20rmb per head about 10 years ago. The cost is around 1rmb. What this did was force chinese companies to make their own. Chinese made at around 5rmb

Believe me, feeding China right now is the best policy, make a profit, let them do the low end work. It won’t affect America as a whole. America wants to reduce the dependency on China? Well chinese wants to reduce dependency on America as well. Don’t force the chinese to innovate. It won’t end well.

I ain’t no politician, I don’t know politics, just my thoughts on how to deal with chinese companies

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What can America learn from China?

How to pay the majority of workers barely a living wage just to flood foreign markets for a greater share?

The main reason China is doing so well now is because they can produce things cheaper than the U.S. full stop.

Huawei is a great at innovation but it's not like they are leaps and bounds better than several U.S. companies or Korean companies and once again there main claim to fame is that they are cheaper than most everyone.

Who is talking about war or advocating for it?

I know everybody spies but China has built a modern economy on it.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why would it not end well?

Seems to me you think China is superior to the U.S. on that front.

Why can't they innovate to feed themselves?

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

China might as well be the Borg to Americans. There's a fundamental culture gap that makes many wary (or horny) against them exotic foreigners.

If it's keeping you up at night, there's a book by Graham T. Allison that talks about it, but readin might not be the best way to reason to a tribal mob about "our downfall".

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

China is going to innovate and aim to be world leader, whatever the US or any other nation does.

To me, the US needs to focus on improving internally. The danger now is much more internal than external. We are burning our own house slowly and not seeing it.

10. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Yea I don't get Americans sometimes. You guys have more than enough technology, wealth, resources to keep every citizen fed, healthy, and happy. And you are not like countries who share borders with like 100 other countries, you are so far away from all the conflicts in the world why not just sit back and enjoy yourselves, it's the precious life others dream of.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CometsWin likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

13. Nook

Nook Member

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/c...betans-into-labour-camps-20200922-p55xyk.html

China forces 500,000 Tibetans into labour camps
    Anthony Galloway and Eryk Bagshaw
    September 22, 2020 — 6.32pm

China is pushing hundreds of thousands of Tibetans into forced labour camps, mirroring a program in the western Xinjiang region, as the International Olympic Committee is urged to strip Beijing of the Winter Olympics.

New evidence suggests the Chinese government now has a large-scale mandatory "vocational training" program in Tibet, pushing more than 500,000 rural labourers into recently built military-style training centres in the first seven months of this year alone.

[​IMG]
    Farmers in Tibet: In the first seven months of this year over 500,000 rural Tibetan labourers have been pushed into military-style training centres.CREDIT:AP

The evidence has been compiled by German anthropologist Dr Adrian Zenz, whose research was instrumental in raising the profile of the security build-up and mass detention of Uighurs in China's remote Xinjiang province.

The labour camps are accompanied by enforced indoctrination, intrusive surveillance, and harsh punishments for those who fail to meet labour transfer quotas, according to the research.

The new report by Dr Zenz, sponsored by a global coalition of MPs who have been urging governments to adopt a tougher stance on China, says Beijing has been setting quotas for the mass transfer of rural labourers within Tibet.

The labor transfer policy mandates that pastoralists and farmers are to be subjected to centralised "military-style" vocational training, which aims to reform "backward thinking" and includes training in "work discipline", law and the Chinese language.

The new evidence will place further pressure on China's human rights record, which has been criticised for its policies in Xinjiang where more than one million ethnic Uighurs have been forced into internment camps, and a crackdown on pro-democracy leaders in Hong Kong.

The founder of the alliance of MPs, Sir Iain Duncan Smith has urged the IOC to reconsider Beijing as the host of the Olympic Winter Games in 2022. MPs from New Zealand, the Netherlands and the UK have questioned whether the games can continue in China amid the growing human rights concerns and restrictions on freedom of the press.

Former Australian soccer captain Craig Foster said on Tuesday the IOC would be directly responsible if it allowed its "mega events to be used to whitewash broad scale abuse occurring under the shadow of the stadia".

"It is near impossible to see how China can stage a mega-sporting event in accordance with these basic human rights since many are antithetical to governmental principles themselves," said Foster, an adjunct professor at Torrens University.

Liberal MP Dave Sharma, who led the International Division of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, said a boycott would harden nationalist views in China, escalate a "cold-war mentality" and thwart attempts to moderate the Chinese Communist Party's actions in the region.

On Tuesday, a prominent critic of China's President Xi Jinping, Ren Zhiqiang, was sentenced to 18 years in jail for embezzling more than $10 million and taking $255,000 in bribes. The sentence came months after he described Xi as "a clown" in a highly critical essay on his response to the coronavirus crisis.

Carl Minzner, a professor of Chinese law at Fordham University, said the jailing of the property tycoon with high-profile party links sent a message that dissent would not be tolerated.

"This is a very high ranking businessman. Many thought he was untouchable but he takes a stand against Xi and he gets 18 years in prison. He has been made an example of," Minzner said from Taipei.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

China is a country where the government cares if Ty Lawson is getting lap dances with Chinese women with tight butts.
    @Os Trigonum @Reeko

I appreciate a government who helps their citizens but they aren't doing anything when they care about the personal lives
    of basketball players

15. tinman

Supporting Member

16. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Either OP is a complete tool and clueless about China or a mouthpiece for WinnieTheFlu.

I have been paying attention and studying about these ChiCom bastards since the late 70s. They have a 100 years marathon plan to conquer the free world. They have infiltrated into every country, every institution around the globe through every means necessary.

The whole world got really lucky this time with the CCP virus, they tipped their hands way too early, had they waited and be patient for the next 30 years, no one in this world will escape their tyranny.

Every nation on earth has a taste of these commie bastards and are now rebuking them. We as the leader of the free world must finish this modern plague of the 21st century known as the ChiCom bastards.

I can just imagine a world without these evil ChiComs, Chinese people everywhere will celebrate like they are being born again.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Nobody is moving to China from the western countries, it's the reverse
    Chinese people who can afford it move to the west cause they can actually own property and have freedoms

also since china controls their population's creativity and freedoms, there's nothing original coming out from there now

look at the music, the Koreans are destroying China
    nobody understands their songs but BTS and Black Pink DESTROYS any China singers

@Os Trigonum @rocketsjudoka

generalthade_03 likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They started in 1920? Wow.

You better hope your ass China doesn't want another hot war. Sending the young to die in trenches and hunks of metal is the worst form of armchair patriotism ever conceived. Also makes those "Chinese slaves" hate you more than their government.

19. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Are you American?

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am someone who knows the language, been to the PRC many times, negotiated with PRC officials, and still watch PRC media.

The PRC isn't the force for evil that people make it out to be. it's not the Borg out to conquer the whole world. At the same time it's not a force for good and certainly not a force for liberty. I think many in the West and even in the PRC have a simplistic view of the PRC and it's place in the world but like most things it's far more complicated.

Recent Chinese history of the last two centuries has been riven by conflict, and exploitation by foreign powers. The Chinese talk about a 'Century of Humiliation" where China was carved up for foreign powers and even forced to buy opium from the British. 40 years ago there were literally people starving in the streets. These things greatly influence the thinking of the PRC and it's citizens. While on paper Communists in many ways the current CCP view themselves in imperial terms of having a Mandate of Heaven. That mandate is earned by lifting the world's most populous country out of poverty in a generation. That mandate also means that the PRC should be restored to it's preeminent place as the Middle Kingdom.

Obviously we don't live in the 7th Century and in this day and age the PRC understands they can't conquer the World. Here they are pragmatic enough to understand that economic power is as powerful as military power and as such they have been using it to win friends and influence throughout the World. While the PRC is building it's military they are unlikely to use it very much except to what they consider to be traditionally a Chinese sphere of influence. As such we see all sorts of border disputes with things like the South China Sea where they argue that since the Ming Dynasty controlled that region the PRC should. This is one of the reasons why I don't think the PRC would ever start a full blown war with the US.

For the main question if the West (including the US) has contributed to the rise of the PRC I think the answer is unequivocally yes. The US hasn't always been enemies with the PRC. Presidents of both parties starting with Nixon were more than willing to recognize and make deals with the PRC. The global trade system and the willingness of the western companies to invest in the PRC has obviously allowed them to build up their economy rapidly.

Has this led to the downfall of the West I don't think so. Trade and global capital markets isn't a zero sum game. While there certainly have been dislocation and unemployment from manufacturing going to the PRC if you look at the US GDP since 1979 it's grown quite a bit even as the PRC's GDP has grown. In terms of wealth and capital creation bringing the PRC into the global economy has been a huge boon. At the same time the US is still a military and economic superpower and that isn't going to change anytime soon. While the PRC has been expanding influence it's also been making many other countries uneasy especially it's neighbors. This is why even though the PRC has massive economic interests in ASEAN countries they still trust the US more and many still have military alliances with the US primarily to counter the PRC. That's not going to change anytime soon.

The PRC long game is to have them as the preeminent country but it wouldn't dominate like the US and Soviet Union did during the Cold War. They would view it as having one China with territorial integrity, that would include Taiwan. That they economically control their own destiny with other countries dependent enough on them that they couldn't harm the PRC. That within the PRC CCP rule is unquestionable and especially under Xi centralized.