1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we buyers at trade deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Landry's Tooth, Oct 3, 2023.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

#281 J.R., Oct 31, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
    raining threes, Rudyc281 and Dredd like this.
  2. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

What's the thought behind a 2 for Sweat but a 3 for Young? Injury history? Both have been productive this year but Young is definitely the higher upside.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I want Adam Peters!!!

@Fulgore

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A few days ago I was thinking this was gonna be a great week. I expected a big win in Carolina and a signing of a key player to help us. I'm really disappointed and disgusted with Slowik and Caserio right now.

Fulgore likes this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

He will try to land a big fish this offseason…. Hopefully. Enough Walmart and family dollar shopping

deb4rockets and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Both are FA. Why give up picks now when you can sign them in the offseason? Those 2 are not going to put the Texans in the Superbowl this season.

raining threes and deb4rockets like this.
  8. raining threes

Why they're in the middle of a rebuild.

They need to add play makers and to do this they need draft picks. Unless you think they're SB contenders, which nobody should think that they're SB contenders that I know.

I was actually hoping they would trade a few guys for picks.

9. raining threes

This is a guy I wish Caserio would've traded for. Jags got him for a 6th.

jch1911 and houstonstime like this.
  10. raining threes

Yep, lets see what they do this offseason in FA/Draft. They have the money to add a couple of difference makers in FA and the draft capital to add 3 or 4 more in the draft.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. raining threes

Wanted this guy.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's Good and all, but they can do Better Than Ezra.

Colt45 and conquistador#11 like this.
  13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Would you rather have Sweat or Young? Or Sweat or Young + a top 50 prospect? This team should not be wasting assets on rentals. In fact, if you want to be upset with Caserio, he should have traded assets for picks: Hughes, Schultz, Perryman...

They'll have plenty of cap room to sign either guy (or another pass rusher, if that's a priority) in a few months - and that won't cost them a valuable - and needed - draft pick in '24.

14. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Totally agree in regard to the Texans, I meant why is Sweat more valuable to the Bears than Young is to the Niners.

15. Hey Now!

The Bears being involved makes zero sense - but if you're asking why Sweat cost more, it's because he's a better player right now (and the Niners are smarter than the Bears.... that might've also been a factor.)

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Tried to tell them to not expect Caserio to make a big splash move. Just not his style nor is it a good way to build a team. I mean, do we want BOB back? He made 'big' trades a lot but the problem with trading in the NFL is that you spend a lot to do it and its on a contract that you might not necessarily agree with.

Because yeah, Caserio could sign these guys next year and we can always draft.

I just don't think trading is a good way to build in the NFL. Eats up cap space and then you use valuable assets to do so. The only thing I expected was like maybe nabbing someone for a 6th round pick or something, some player most people wouldn't know who another team just wanted off their roster and was giving away.

So this doesn't surprise me.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

But 49ers and Chicago, can discuss an extension with those players during the season, so they have an advantage, over other teams.

Also, sometimes you prefer a player that is already proven in the NFL, not a rookie prospect, that could bust or not.

18. Hey Now!

Giving up a prospect (in the case of Chicago, a high-end prospect) for the right to negotiate with a player you have no idea their intention is a steep price to pay.

Why not both? Sweat and Young are pending free agents. The Bears will have more cap room than any other team and they're 2-6. This could've waited a few months. It's a borderline fireable offense.

Qan likes this.
  19. raining threes

Plus they can tag them if they choose too.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member