1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are people good or evil by nature?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chamillionaire, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Chamillionaire

I'm starting to doubt a little bit, growing up I though people were good, kind, and helpful, but not really sure with what's going around me and on the news everyday. Are we born as f*ucked as the people we see onworld stat hip hop, the news, politicians, etc., or are we good by nature and screwed up by our upbringing and the environment?

2. sew

sew Member

Perhaps we're born neither good nor bad?

3. sew

sew Member

and I've always believed that nurture > nature

4. Chamillionaire

People I know who are "nice" are often easy targets for "a$$holes". People who have big mouths who talk a lot of $hit are often not bothered. Completely backwards.

5. echu888

echu888 Member

people are naughty by nature. you down with OPP?

1 person likes this.
  6. Chamillionaire

Sorry for the typos, autocorrect is a royal pain.

7. Chamillionaire

Original.

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

People suck.

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

People are people so why should it be...

This good / evil question has been debated and written about forever, by much smarter people than us too.

10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

No way to tell since good and evil standards were determined by us in the first place. We are already conditioned to learn what is good and what is evil using standards that are only as pure and true as the origin creators.

We will never know our true nature because of this. What happens when humans grow up without being told what to do or how to think? These things happen as soon as we are born.

How would we communicate if someone did not discover language?
    How would we act if someone did not discover the concept of money and trade?
    How would we determine our mates if attractiveness was not set by a society influenced by media?

We are in too deep to answer truthfully your question. The conditioning is far too spread that we have perhaps lost original intent of these marerial creations in society. This makes our true nature far too gone.

11. jae713

jae713 Member

People are stupid for the most part.

1 person likes this.
  12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Trying to use simplistic terms like 'good' and 'evil' on something as complicated as humans is dumb.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If you could commit one murder to save millions, would you?

14. Buck Turgidson

maybe, maybe no

15. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

This is a classic debate: Are people born "good" and the world corrupts them? Or are they born "evil" and have to work to be good? What's interesting is that the Christian point of view is that people are born "evil" and must work towards salvation. The "evil" that we are all born with is "original sin" from back in the Adam and Eve days.

The pagan point of view is that people are born good (innocent and pure) but that the world corrupts them.

At least that's what we learned in one of my classes at UH way back when (I can't remember the class, Intro to Fiction?, with Dr. Peavy or something like that).

16. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I think most people are born neither...but the culture and environment(s) they were raised in during the first 5 years of their life plays a major factor in shaping their core personality and thus is influential in whether they are good or evil or (most likely) some mixture of both. Of course, the person can change later, but that requires effort on their part.

17. Chamillionaire

Thanks for sharing. Very informative and though out.

18. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

I believe most are born "good", unless they are born already mentally diseased.

I think evil is promoted by the surrounding environment or it is learned in some other fashion.

But that's just my guess so take it for what it's worth....

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you just take a look at the world we live in now (or any time in history), it's obvious.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Why was your first thread locked, OP?