1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are basketball fans more liberal than football or baseball fans?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Mar 28, 2014.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

This is an interesting topic and I don't believe I have ever seen a whole lot about this. Lots of issues.

I would say so, but is this just an affect due to African Americans being liberals and Democrats.? In addition we have a lot of internationals following basketball which makes the fan base inherently more liberal.

Another confounding variable is that I think basketball fans tend to skew younger as baseball is maybe starting to seem like a sport mainly for older folks?

On the other hand Latinos are younger and they certainly seem to be increasingly playing in the Majors.

Of course with football sweeping brain injuries under the rug for profits it does seem like a sport for those who like corporate power and violence. Let me state that I still watch football, but sort of have the semi-guilty feeling the same way I when watching boxing, bull fights or riders getting injured at the Houston rodeo..

2. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I gave up on football. I honestly feel dirty watching it or giving them any money. Of all the sports, this one pay it's players the least. It is a very, very greedy league.

What pisses me off is how dishonest they are. Suing MIA for giving the finger because it is detrimental to your image? What are they looking for 13 million? What a joke...How much are you look for from Hernandez? A couple billion right, because employing murders is a pretty bad look. How about the bad look you created by trying to short hand ~1000 ex players in a settlement?

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I thought conservatives are all nascar fans

jk

4. Orange

Orange Member

Most humans are liberal

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

LOL wtf WWE has a democrat skew, well color me surprised

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Yea I think basketball fans like R&B-Rap, football fans like Classic / Hard- Rock, and baseball fans get down with Country.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah I was surprised by a couple of the skews.

On the liberal side, I was surprised to see: WWE and monster trucks.

On the conservative side, I was surprised to see the Olympics, college basketball and NHL to the right of the NFL.

9. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Olympics= Patriotism/Jingoism. The NHL is a surprise though since it takes much of the south out of the equation. I guess conservative people who are turned off by tattoos and hip hop culture might embrace the NHL.

10. bmd

bmd Member

The majority of white males are conservative. It has nothing to do with the South.

So it's not surprising that the NHL would have a lot of conservative fans, seeing as how it is a white male dominated sport.

11. Classic

Classic Member

Is WBNA to the left of -100 index?

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Okay, I can see that angle. I was thinking about all the lubby-dubby world peace and international understanding in their marketing materials. I guess that's just cover for world domination.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

yeah basketball fans are clearly liberal heavy

african americans, youth, poors/unemployed crowd, foreigners, gaylords = liberals.

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Skateboarders love Punk Rock!

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not surprising at all, older people outgrow it and minorities love it to the same extent older white guys keep golf afloat. I'm still trying to figure out how they recovered after the early nineties.

16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

so african americans and the youth aren't prominent in american football? dunno how you lump "poors/unemployed" or "gaylords" in there unless you mean the rest of the developed world is more tolerant of the gay lifestyle than the average american

stop being so obtuse