1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Apple+ Series] William Gibson’s Neuromancer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

NEUROMANCER Apple TV+ Adaptation Rumored To Be Courting Robert Pattinson To Play Case
    [​IMG]
    An adaptation of William Gibson's Neuromancer is reportedly moving forward at Apple, and The Batman star Robert Pattinson is rumored to have the current offer to play Case...
    News

By MarkCassidy - Feb 19, 2024 03:02 PM EST

We first heard whispers that Apple TV+ was developing a streaming adaptation of William Gibson's seminal sci-fi novel,Neuromancer, last year, and we're now hearing that the project has taken some major steps forward.

Though the show has yet to be officially announced, reliable insider Daniel Richtman is reporting that Graham Roland is on board as writer/showrunner, with JD Dillard (Sweetheart, Devotion) set to direct.

Richtman has also heard that the likes of Oscar Isaac, Chris Evans, Taron Egerton, Miles Teller, Jeremy Allen White, and Nicholas Hoult were being courted for the lead role, and The Batman star Robert Pattinson has the "current offer" to play Henry Case.

According to the character breakdowns,"Case is a skilled hacker with a troubled past. His expertise in the technological underground makes him the perfect candidate for the mission, but his journey is fraught with danger and uncertainty."

Case will be joined by Molly: "A female aged 30-45, Molly is a formidable mercenary known for her ruthlessness and combat skills. Operating in the physical realm, she serves as Case's protector and ally on his mission."

And Armitage: "A male aged 45-55, Armitage is the enigmatic figure who hires Case for the mission. Former military and mysterious in nature, he brings a sense of gravitas and intrigue to the story."

We also have a tentative plot synopsis:

"Neuromancer follows Case, a former data-thief who is recruited for a dangerous mission by a mysterious employer. In a world where cyberspace and reality merge, Case must navigate through perilous encounters with the help of Molly, a skilled street-samurai with a penchant for danger. Together, they embark on a journey that will test their limits and challenge the very nature of reality itself.

Neuromancer was Gibson's first novel, and is widely viewed as one of the most influential sci-fi stories of all time, laying the groundwork for the likes of The Matrix, and various other works in the "Cyberpunk" subgenre. It is the only novel to win the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award, and the Hugo Award.

The story was adapted by Epic Comics as a 48-page graphic novel by Tom de Haven and Bruce Jensen back in the late '80s.

We'll hopefully get some official updates soon, but for now, let us know what you make of this rumor, along with which actors you'd most like to see take on the lead roles, in the comments section.

Invisible Fan and Entropy like this.
  2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The book feels kind of dated at this point. Just watch Keanu in Johnny Mnemonic if you need Cyberpunk wild-frontier 90's nostalgia. Honestly, its kind of sad for me to revisit those books and see how much more oppressive and mundane the reality turned out to be.

FYI, Johnny Mnemonic supposedly took place in 2021, and Neuromancer about 2035.

Sigh.

It is funny to listen to him talk about a whole 80GB he can keep in his head. I'm pretty sure Elon could implant an 80gb thumb drive and USB port between my skull and dura and I wouldn't even notice it. Certainly wouldn't have to erase my childhood to use it.

#2 Ottomaton, Feb 20, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    Rocket River and Invisible Fan like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I could never get into this book tried a couple times and was like meh.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

"I AM AN FBI AGENT!"

no you're not, you're ****ing Ted

[​IMG]

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s been a long time since I read the book and remember not being blown away by it.
    Might have to reread before watching this series.

Rocket River likes this.
  6. Entropy

Entropy Member

Pattinson would be perfect as Case. He's been great in sci fi movies, see Cosmopolis.

Xerobull likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm with you guys, some of the more stodgy or highbrow hardcore Sci-Fi is a little bit of a slog. Asmiov, Gibson, Stephenson, Herbert, etc, just bore me. I like the concepts but the delivery is zzzz.

But with these shows they can amp the action up a little with good screenwriting, good acting helps, visual presentation conveys things that may take twenty pages to describe.

#7 Xerobull, Feb 21, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    Rocket River likes this.
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

If the Matrix can take Gibson's content and deliver. It can be done again. If you've seen something done once, it can be done again.

Xerobull likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I listened to the book on Cassette
    It was ok . .. . i enjoyed it . . . .
    I think the Johnny Mneumonic reference is spot on
    They will have to go darker and maybe more violent

Rocket River