1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apartment trouble

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DVauthrin, Jun 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

First off, I have a 1 by 1 at College Park in Austin, lease expires on August 11th.

So, I go in today(june 30th) to renew my 2003-2004 lease and they inform me they have leased it to somebody else already.

I'm incensed.

The lease reminders they sent had no final date on them, just renew asap(sent in March). My lease is good through August. I also havent got a notice being informed of a deadline, or that my apartment is up for lease, would you like to keep it, kind of call, before you put it up for auction. Also, I knew when my lease expired and my mom had talked to them 30 days prior about renewing.

I'm sorry, but this is shoddy business and I'm not really happy at all right now.

I hope nobody else goes through this crap as well.

2. junglerules

junglerules Member

That's messed up, man. I live up in Round Rock, and although my lease is up in August, I received a flyer telling me to renew by July 31st. Of course, there are lots of openings where I live, so I guess there are no fears in my place being given to someone else.

Anyway, i hope it get resolves, or you find a better place. Better to start looking ASAP if you sense that your current pad is gone, and you can't get another in the complex.

3. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i lived at college park austin 2 years ago in a 3/3. at the last minute one of my friends bailed on me, but the office let my other friend tim and i move in with one room empty. (individual leases) about 6 months later i was coming home from class and some guy was moving all his stuff into our apartment. it was a weird situation, but thats how it goes at student places like that so there was not much tim and i could say. however, this guy who was moving in was 28 years old. unemployed, on food stamps, and was not a student. i was 20 and so was tim. both of us were working and in college. needless to say, we had some apprehensions.

in the 6 months following.. the new roomate had his family over constantly, his sister and her 1 year old daughter. his mother was always there as well. it was very weird to say the least. i moved out to get AWAY from family life. sometimes his family would be there when he wasnt. i guess he made them keys. VERY ANNOYING. the guy also had his car re-po'd from our parking lot.

as i was saying before, in the 6 months he lived with us, he paid rent 1 time. ONE TIME! he also gave a me a total of $20 dollars for all bills for 6 months (phone, electricity, gas). every time i asked him for money for bills he gave me the "up yours whitey" routine. i was very close to physically beating him and happily going to jail.

tim and i complained to the office many times but all they could tell us was that they were in the process of evicting him for non-payment of rent and we just had to wait it out.

i dont know if you are familiar with the eviction process but it takes FOREVER. so basically the guy kept living there for free. he would steal all of our food too. when wed ask about it hed play dumb.

one week i went to visit my family in houston and tim went to see his grandparents in wisconsin. i got back about 5 days later to find my roomate evicted and the locks changed. i couldnt get into my own apartment!!! so i had to go to the office and after some run-a-round they gave me the new keys. i entered my apartment to find trash everywhere (even on the balconey infront of our door). our trash cans were missing. as were the steam cleaner i borrowed from a friend to redo the carpet. tim's $2000 ping golf clubs. a lamp and all sorts of other items. they guy had left and completely ripped us off!

the office at college park was no help. they basically said the guy had given them a false forwarding addy and phone number. and whats more, WE had to PAY for the missing college park lamp and fines for the trash being everywhere. i basically told them to "@#$% off"

we filed a police report but nothing ever came of it. the guy is nowhere to be found. i cant believe that a place like college park can put a person like that in an apartment with two college students and not take any legal responsibility what-so-ever.

i am now stuck owing austin electric over $450 because of that guy never giving me money for bills. hed put the AC on about 50 degrees when i was gone and ran the bill up. hed also get over 100 phone calls a day (not exaggerating) and never gave me a cent for that either. i also had to shell out over $100 to my friend that lent me the steam cleaner.

now i have collection agencies calling my cell phone everyday.

college park is awful and you should be glad your lease was not re-newed. move somewhere else. anywhere else.

Brian

#3 weakfromtoday, Jun 30, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2003
  4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

that sux DV... but from Brian's post, sounds like you should take his advice or it might get worse?

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Well, welcome to the real world my friend. I feel your pain, it made my mad just reading your post.

But, you have to look at it this way. I'm sure you learned some very valuable lessons from this experience.

Your name really isn't Whitey is it?

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Ahhh...glad College Park is still screwing over UT students. I lived there in Phase I my sophomore year (1999-2000) in a 4/2. My suggestion is to get the f*ck out while you can. The fact that they leased your room our is a f*cking blessing. That crime infested place is not where you want to be. The management is totally indifferent to its residents, as cars and apartments are consistently broken into.

My suggestion is you get the hell out of Riverside while you can. I lived off Far West my last year in school and loved every minute of it. Classy area, not to mention you don't have that ghetto ass HEB Riverside by you. The HEB Far West is really nice. You're on the UT shuttle as well. The best apts out here are: Archstone NW Hills, Oak Ridge, Juniper Springs, and The Ridge. Check them out this weekend. I'm pretty sure that there will be plenty of vacancies left.

7. weakfromtoday

Supporting Member

yup. lessons learned. i guess in the long run it gives me some wisdom about where i live and who i live with. im not a very "trusting" person in the first place, but its still surprising when people screw you over.

and no, my name really isnt "whitey", but that is definantly the vibe the guy was sending me. that part actually took a back burner to the money issues.

oh well.

DV, Baquii99 is right. i live in the southwest area now and i love it. id get out of college park. there are much better enviroments conducive to studying.

Brian

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I live out near there off Mesa and Spicewood and am getting ready to go shoot hoops over at The Ridge(I think that is what they are called).

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Email me if you need an apt. My office is in far west.

Also, I would never live somewhere where the apt. people just move someone into my apartment. I mean, you're better off living in a dorm. So much stuff can happen (and did happen) to you.

I don't understand why a nonstudent would want to live with students, but some people like to be in that scene I guess.

10. DVauthrin

I'd be interested GR8-1.

I don't think I want any part of college park anymore.

This really is ridiculous.

If you want to keep your email private, just email me at davidv2001@yahoo.com with your contact info.

11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Damn Brian, didn't know you had collection agencies calling you...geez. I still have Melrose calling me about Dave's bathroom disaster mess, I think I had to pay $400 or something.

I heard that guy that bailed on you your roomate thought he was all awesome because he was a singer in a band or something, but he was actually just an idiot.

Also I tried to leave message at weakfromtoday website and they never got through, They are all about you never hanging out, that sucks because you SHOULD hang out. Call me on my cell fool!

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

delete please, double post

#12 Joshfast, Jul 1, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2003
  13. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Dude call 7 on your side.

Pimp-

I used to live at the Ridge. But my new place has indoor hoops :D Nice because I dont have to fight the heat.

You should come check out how bad I suck at hoops sometime.

14. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

kinda off topic...but my lease at Jefferson Commons ends August 10th...but unfortunately summer school doesn't end till the 15th. i guess i will be a drag bum for a week.

15. DVauthrin

I appreciate all the help.

I had no idea this place moved people in unannounced if you had a vacant spot in a 3 by 3, because I live by myself.

But that in an of itself is ****ty.

I'm tempted to put College Park on TV or in court for this crap, because they have no right to treat their customers that way.

If your lease is good till August, you should be able to renew close to that deadline, or at least have the staff do their best to make sure you aware of the deadline or that they are leasing your apt well before your lease is up in case you want it back.

I hope this place burns and rots in hell now, along with the joke that is their staff. I could tolerate the crappy riverside area because it was close and I had no problems, but then they pull this underhanded crap.

They can kiss my business goodbye.

I don't think they deserve these last two rent checks either, but I'll pay them.

16. weakfromtoday

Supporting Member

JOSH! you actually post! rad homie!

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

MAN
    Sounds like Pacific Heights with Mike Keaton
    I think their would have been ALOT OF *SS BEAT
    Going on there

Rocket River
    "Messing with my money is like messing with my Emotions - Big Perm . .er . . Big Worm

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I'll bet 8/10th wasn't the day you picked,was it? Jeffersons, University commons, colllege park, etc. all have universal move out dates, usually to their advantage. Make sure you only pay for ten days of rent in august.

19. DVauthrin

I went out with GR8-1 today, and looked at the Ridge-out of my budget range, bent tree, rockwood and indian creek.

I really liked all 4 but the view of indian creek was the deciding factor. In all, I got 527 per month, move in july 31st, and pay for cable/internet. They pay gas, water and trash, I just take care of electric.

Its on woodhollow, in the far west area, about 7 minutes off the Far West shuttle route.

Btw, I don't suggest to anyone looking at apt ratings online, because a lot of the apt's baqui mentioned were rated poorly and I think its just because the people with bad experiences are the ones to bother posting their problems rather than a happy tenant.

Hell, indian creek got worse ratings than college park, and I highly doubt its any worse. So, my suggestion is take it with a grain of salt.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Welcome to NW Austin. You're going to love the Far West area. Everything's pretty close by, including 6th St., Arboretum, Best Buy, etc. Gotta love the 7 minute drive to campus too.