1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone who wants Morey to get fired is a *insert a more appropriate word*

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Nov 27, 2015.

1. omgTHEpotential

Exactly. I mean, it might sound ludicrous to some, Morey is just a manager and harden is this MVP-caliber superstars, but... A guy like Morey is so hard to acquire maybe even more than Harden. Maybe Rockets fans just got accustomed to having a great GM and take him for granted. There are so much more guys like David Kahn or Billy King out there than there are guys like Daryl Morey.

2. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

lol, the kool-aid has been dranken by a lot of CF with Morey. I love the sub-culture of NBA teams that disagree with the status quo perception around the league - no one around the league really values Morey like the fanboys on this site. Which makes sense, because when you see national polls compared to CF polls, the numbers are almost always inverted.

For example, Chicago fans generally hate Thibs - Bulls Fire Head Coach Tom Thibodeau - but Rockets fans love him without ever having him in town as a head coach. My favorite post in that thread:

Two of the bigger reasons people complain about McHale (play more scrubs and accountability) are two consistent criticisms of Thibs on Chicago's board. If we hire the guy, it'll be interesting how long the board stays positive on him.

1 person likes this.
  3. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Morey is bad at drafting. Look at Bob Myers he got HB Draymond and Festus.. What have we gotten?.... just DMo??!

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Parsons and Patterson are pretty good. He does seem to draft shooters and just let them go though.

5. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Declined a team option for no gain and traded for Thomas Robinson. It's more than drafting...

6. MFG16

MFG16 Member

The third sentence is all I was looking for to clear up the air. For the record I never said JB was a puppet. I said Morey will hire a puppet in the future (similar to Mchale). I personally think keeping JB was a les decision. Does Morey deserve all the blame? No. But it's foolish to just give him a pass and blame it on bad coaching.

7. MFG16

MFG16 Member

Morey has y'all brainwashed. If Bevrerly and Ariza can't make mid range shots, as you say, then why they hell are we letting them jack up 3 after 3? Didn't realize you needed Curry for midrange jumpers. Good to know.

Also, Harden could thrive taking midrange shots (also in the post but that's another discussion). It's dumb we, for the most part, take away that part of his game.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Great post.

9. Drogba

Drogba Member

He needs to go. The roster he's assembled around Harden is inexcusable.

10. puppytigers

puppytigers Member

So we can't blame Morey for the players forgetting how to shoot.

We can't blame the players for the poor coaching resulting in bad spacing and lack of sets.

Finally, we can't blame the coaching because Morey traded away all our players who could make midrange shots.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Scary thought - is Hinkie what Morey would be without Leslie preventing it?

12. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Interesting alternate universe. Les refused to tank even if it meant the 9th seed and 14th draft pick every year. The 09-2012 rockets could have bottomed out like what the sixers are doing now.

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Well if you're saying we should fire him then I think that's giving him the blame, lol. I obviously think we should use mid range shots my point is a good coach will be a good coach without it. I'm starting to turn on JB though. He made great choices for new plays in the post and he decided to start Capela, but then plays Corey Brewer heavy minutes. This indicates to me that Brewer was not only friend with Mchale but close to the whole coaching staff and JB might not want to sit his friend. If you can't make the hard decisions you need to go.

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is very true.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I remember Morey once said the draft had the best odds at landing a franchise player. That's clearly what Hinkie is doing.

16. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Moreyball works if you have true shooters. The Rockets have one, but he is way past his prime....Terry.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it also requires better ball movement to lead to better shots, but it certainly fails when players don't hit those shots or make those layups.

18. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Morey thinks like a robot. Character and culture need to be considered as well. Life (and winning basketball) does not always revolve around advanced stats.

19. MFG16

MFG16 Member

He does deserve some of the blame. I don't understand how you keep trying to divide the blame all around except on Morey. You should have just stated that you're a die hard Morey fan to start. That's the only logical reason to be THAT blind.

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

What exactly do you think the benefits of midrange shots are? Are you under the assumption that they are high percentage? Are you under the impression that GS and SA are successful because of them?

This season we make 1.5/3.9 shots from 10-14 ft. We also are making 2.1/6.4 shots from 15-19 ft. So we are currently shooting 35% on mid range shots. That's the equivalent of shooting 23.33% from behind the 3pt line.

This season the Spurs are hitting 3.6/8.9 shots from 10-14 ft. They are making 6.8/16.1 shots from 15-19 ft. They are currently shooting 41.6% on midrange shots. That's the equivalent of shooting 27.7% from behind the 3pt line.

This season the Warriors are hitting 3.4/6.9 from 10-14 ft. They are making 4.0/9.2 from 15-19 ft. They are shooting 45.9% on midrange shots. That's the equivalent of shooting 30.6% from behind the 3pt line.

So yes, the Warriors and Spurs both shoot more mid range than us but they aren't very efficient on those shots. As horrifically bad as we are shooting the 3 ball so far this year, we're still more efficient on those shots than the Spurs are from midrange. Likewise, GS's midrange is exactly the same efficiency as what we are shooting from 3pt range during this slump.

We're shooting terribly this season so why do you want us to start taking more shots that even the best teams in the league do equal or less efficiently than what we are already doing?

I'm not following your logic.