1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

anyone think the astros will be good two years down the line?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by xcrunner51, Jul 24, 2004.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I've all but given up on this season as a lost cause. The 'Stros are loaded down with some pretty heavy contracts this year and in the following two years. After some of those guys retire/ leave (Bagwell, Biggio, Kent, Beltran, Ausmus, Pettite, Clemens), our young guys in the minors develop, and our young guys at the major league level develop I think we'll have a solid team. This is my projected Lineup and Rotation:

C: Hector Gimenez
    1st: Lance Berkman
    2nd: Chris Burke
    SS: Adam Everett
    3rd: Morgan Ensberg
    RF: Jason Lane
    CF: Charlton Jimerson
    LF: Hunter Pence

1: Roy Oswalt
    2: Wade Miller
    3: Carlos Hernandez
    4: Tim Redding
    5: Taylor Buchholz

CL: Brad Lidge

You surround those guys with a decent bench and a good bullpen and I think that could be the a very good team down the line. The only thing is we'd have to wait to cast off all the old/veteren guys right now.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Willy Tavares is probably the CF of the future, although Jimerson looks like a very good prospect as well.

Also... you're list would mean that they would be fielding a team that is ENTIRELY home-grown... which is not all that likely. But, if we could be successful with a team entirely based on the astro's farm-system, Gerry & co., not Billy Beane, would be the envy of every money-ball/GM out there.

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

i completely forgot about Taveras, he prolly will be the CF of the future. The infield i projected is pretty much major league ready: Berkman having been an all star, Ensberg and Everett both having seen alot of playing time and done well at certain points and Burke doing really well at AAA. Buck woulda prolly been nicer to have than Gimenez.

4. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Miller will be gone, one can only hope; unless Redding somehow learns how to throw a MLB level game, I doubt he'll be around as well. His stuff is not that impressive. Also, I would suspect that the depth chart will not be filled with all of the players we currently have in the minors.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Miller, while he is a valuable trade commodity, could also still be a VERY good pitcher.

His problems, this year, have been due primarily to his neck/shoulder stiffness that he's on the DL for... yet, his numbers are still VERY good (7-7... low 3's ERA).

Also, his numbers, last year and the year before, in the second-half are some of the best pitching numbers in baseball.

I too am tired of his inconsistencies, but if we are to get rid of him... be wary that he may get it all straightened out, and become dominant for years to come.

I'd MUCH rather hold out on Milller becoming like that (even despite an increased $$$), rather than hoping-beyond-hope that Redding somehow becomes a good (let alone average) MLB pitcher.

6. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Miller to me may always be injury prone because of his mechanics. He basically uses his upper body and his follow through is awkward. For some reason, he reminds me alot of Elarton (I don't really know why). I like Miller, it would be tough to let him go.

7. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

How does Miller have trade value? He will likely be injured up to the deadline, and he'll be looking at arbitration come season's end.

8. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I don't think he meant trading him this season.

9. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Oh how I wish we could!

10. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Really? Why?

11. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

On paper this team looks like it has some potential. But some of these guys will be busts or not major league level starters. I'm not sold on Ensberg, Hernandez or Redding. And Everett needs to become a better hitter.

Out of Gimenez, Pence, Jimerson/ Tavares, Burke and Buchholz at least 2 of them will be busts...

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How old is Giminez? Isn't he currently in single A?

#12 RunninRaven, Jul 24, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2004
  13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Because his arm angles and release leads to drastic inconsistancy. That and the fact that he's nothing more than a number four (a number three at best) that the Astros will assuredly over pay due to a fan backlash, because, this is what our management does.