1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone Else Interested in Dalton Knecht?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rokman, Apr 8, 2024.

?

Dalton Knecht?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. Rokman

Rokman Member

Anyone else interested in drafting more of a veteran collegiate player like Dalton Knecht to this squad. The guy can flat out shoot and he seems like the kind of guy the Rockets would benefit from having out on the court immediately especially in light of recent shooting woes.

Just remember it's a lot cheaper to pay a draft pick even in the 8 - 10 range than trying to pay a shooter like him in Free Agency.

Thoughts?

2. VanityHalfBlack

Tyler Hero 2.0?

3. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

The number one thing this team needs is someone that can flat out shoot.

Sean Dr34ms, justinh and eliefor3 like this.
  4. VanityHalfBlack

5. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

Let's get him!

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  6. VanityHalfBlack

Yes bout time we get that Japanese money!! And I want mushu and sushi and ramen at the Toyota center concession stand. Let's do this!!

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

If Dalton Knecht was 6-9 I'd be all for getting him. Right now I'm not that high on him because he projects to be unathletic and a liability on defense.

I know Herro is the immediate comparison but Herro is actually athletic. This guy projects to be a smaller Cam Johnson, and Johnson is taller. Younger too.

I'm just worried he'll be a poor man's version of Corey Kispert.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

I've been saying Knecht is the guy the rockets need to draft with the Nets pick. Exactly what the rockets need. Good Size at the wing with a pro shot already. Easily the best choice compared to the other players in the range

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Nothing against Knecht but how many wings do we need? Green, Thompson, Whitmore, Brooks, Eason and Tate. Would Knecht even see the floor?

Seems like we have to either go with a big man or a backup pg.

j@amc, VanityHalfBlack and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Amen
    Green/Knecht
    Whitmore/Brooks
    Jabari/Eason
    Sengun/Adams

If the Jazz pick before the Rockets they will take Sheppard or Knecht because deyy white.

J Rock and Sean Dr34ms like this.
  11. aelliott

Gotta believe the FVV will start at least through next season. Take him out of our lineup and our shooting goes down, our assists go down and our turnovers go up.

Also Thompson, is probably not ready to play pg right now. He's played very little pg this year. He's also too good to just get spot minutes.

I have my doubts that Udoka would start Whitmore over Brooks. Udoka loves Brooks.

My preference is Eason at the 3. To me he seems much more effective there. He can use his length when he's a 3. When he's a 4, then he's undersized.

We're going to have to try and get minutes for Thompson, Eason and Whitmore but it won't be that easy. None of them will likely start next year. I also can't see them drafting a guy in mid-lottery and him not seeing regular minutes. We also still need some sort of rim protection.

Adding an additional wing just seems redundant. Finding somebody to replace Jeff Green before he starts collecting Social Security seems like a better way to go. I also don't see them drafting a guy mid-lottery and not have him get regular minutes.

#11 aelliott, Apr 9, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
    peleincubus and Aruba77 like this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

agreed we need a pg or combo guard that can take pressure off Fred more than a wing, assuming we are rolling with Jalen. And agreed a rim protecting big is another more pressing need.

Amen, Tari, Brooks, Jalen and Cam = no wing that gets drafted to the rockets this year will see the court. The minutes just don’t exist.

But I’m also a BPA guy when it comes to the draft. I’m not sold on Jalen’s shooting. And I do think shooting remains a big need.

The draft does have some good pg/combo guards and some rim protecting bigs, but we may not have a chance at any of the elite prospects. Even most of the elite prospects are not guys that are gonna come in and make a difference right away. That’s why I’m okay with trading this pick for a player that fills a need, or just go BPA in order to maximize the asset value of the pick.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

If Amen isn't ready to play pg still, then we can't really expect a rookie pg being drafted to be ready either. As long as Amen can't shoot worth a lick, he'll never be wing. He will have to play the dunker spot as long as that's the case. and if you have someone else on the floor that isn't really a threat on the perimeter either, we know the problems that occur as a result. The rockets already have Adams for next year behind Sengun so drafting a big doesn't make much sense either.

Knecht makes sense for me so he can be the replacement for Brooks eventually. he's the Prototypical 3 and D wing this team needs. BD's contract is way too long for someone so mediocre. Tari isn't a good enough shooter for him to be an everyday starter at the 3. His best role is still that 6th man energy guy off the bench that you can plug in. that's where he's shown to do damage

#13 YOLO, Apr 9, 2024
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

For sure. I meant a future potential lineup.

I could get down with something like this as well

Cason Wallace/Jalen Green
    Green/Cam Whitmore
    Amen/Eason
    Jabari/Eason
    Sengun/Adams

The Thunder may think Wallace is the future starting guard and not Giddy who knows?

15. aelliott

Not sure what time frame this would be.

How did we get Wallace?

Are you suggesting Green is the backup pg? He's not a pg.

What happened to Knetch? You know, the topic of the thread.

peleincubus likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

With a guard like Wallace potentially there is enough creation with Green/Amen/Sengun for the 20-22 minutes he is on the bench.

As far as how you get a guard like Wallace you trade for him. Perhaps a 3 way trade with the Thunder. Which would forego this years pick from the Nets likely and no Knetch.

Timeline wise that's again after next season's trade deadline or offseason. FVV and/or Brooks could be in the future Rockets plans past those points but I doubt it.

17. aelliott

Amen can't play pg right now. That's not really in question. There's point guards in the draft that could immediately come in and be the backup pg. It's not like Thompson is some polished pg, he's still raw.

They do have shot blocking 4s. That would help greatly and would have nothing to do with Adams being on the team.

If you're contention is that Amen can't play with another non-shooter, then it really doesn't matter what position he plays. Not sure if you were thinking that my comment about Thompson not being able tp be a pg currently had something to do with shooting. It actually didn't have anything to do with shooting. It was related to ball handling and ball security.

If the Rockets decide to replace Brooks as a starter, I think that there's a much higher likelihood of Eason or Amen Thompson being the starter.

I don't see Knetch getting minutes over Green, Whitmore, Eason, Thompson or Brooks. Because of that, I don't think that the Rockets spend a lottery pick on him.

Remember, Jabari Smith was a better 3pt shooter in his only college season than Knetch has been in any season of his career. There's no guarentee that Knetch is going to be a lights out 3 point shooter in the NBA. And if he's not. Then he won't see the floor.

18. aelliott

Nice speculation, but what does this have to do with Knetch?

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Is there? I haven’t actually been impressed with any college pg and believe they can immediately slot into a rotational role. These pg’s are even still more raw than amen. And this team is trying to be a playoff team next year and Ime is going to throw some rook into the backup role off the bat? Don’t see that at all

knetch comes in as better shooter than bari. He’s older and more developed. 40% shooter on higher volume who can take a variety of 3’s. Hes also more versatile with the ball in his hands. Bari came in as a teenager and much more raw. That’s not the case for DK

#19 YOLO, Apr 9, 2024
    J Rock and Shark44 like this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

lol nothing at all man. just looking at potential routes the rockets could make to round out their lineup. ill see myself out now i apologize.

o_O