1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antidepressants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Codman, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Hey, Clutchfans,

So, it looks like I am going to go back on antidepressants. My mood has just not been the same over the last few months. It has been a difficult couple of years. I won't get into too much, but there have been deaths, a miscarriage and what not.

I'd like to have a bit more stability in my mind. Work is a good distraction, but it doesn't help when you're done after.

I play basketball and work out 4 days a week, but it's just not enough.

So, now that I'm man enough to admit I'm going on the "pill" haha, do any of you have suggestions?

My doc is open to what I'm comfortable with. I have heard that Abilify is good as well as Celexa.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...OR...you can flame me. It's all good. Happy Labor Day!

2. YaosDirtyStache

go to Hawaii, stand on that mountain above the clouds and take in the beauty that life truly is.

Or go to Somali and watch little kids die in the streets of hunger, and wake the hell up at how good you really do have it.

The moment you depend on a pill for your own happiness is the moment youve lost out on the joy that every day can bring if you actually try to look for some.

3. VanityHalfBlack

http://medical-mar1juana-states.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/medical-mar1juana.jpg

And.......

[​IMG]

4. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

I hear ya, brother. I have the same problem this summer and now it won't go away. It's hard to get by those moments when you feel you have nothing going on. But find something productive or exhausting. With school, I'm studying most of the day and night and I'm exercising until I get so exhausted that I could care less about the world. Your priority should be about working on yourself. Well, that's my situation, your's might be different.

5. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Why would a doctor want you to decide what antidepressant is right for you based on second hand knowledge of what works for other people. I realize that it is to a certain extent trial and error what might work with your brain chemistry best....but couldn't a psychiatrist give you a little better "guess" regarding what to try and what dosage after some talk therapy or something.

To me it's scary and the reason drug companies advertise.....People are asking for medicine by name now instead of Doctors making the call.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Cymbalta works well. Keep busy and be honest with yourself.

7. Codman

My doctor is a personal friend. We've tried different antidepressants in the past. He knows my personality and how I research nearly everything. He would be more than willing to prescribe a pill for me without my input, but as you mentioned, it is trial and error. My appointment is on Wednesday. I'm just going in with some ideas.

LOL at the weed idea...that will knock me out for days....nope.

Very true about exploring the famine and struggles in the world. It's impossible to compare.

Thanks for the kind words. I know I shouldn't rely on a mood "changer," but it has helped me during atrocious times in the past.

The healthy, natural stuff I continue to do is just not enough.

1 person likes this.
  8. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Abilify is an antipsychotic and a mood stabilizer, not an antidepressant. It is often prescribed in conjunction with an antidepressant. In short, this combination elevates the mood and then stabilizes it.

What did you used to take?

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Pretty silly statement and an obvious sign we have a long way to go with the public view of mental sickness.

3 people like this.
  10. Codman

I've tried Zoloft, Prozac and Lexapro. Lame....

If the NBA doesn't get it together, I may hit the bottle. ;)

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It's really just an obvious sign (one of many, trust me) that the poster you quoted is a moron.

12. Lynus302

Diagnosed with anything other than depression? Abilify might help with any of those you listed. It's usually prescribed starting at 2.5-5mg and then adjusted upward to 10mg.

There's no magic pill, of course. Have you tried talk therapy?

Agreed.

13. Codman

After the miscarriage, a therapist suggested I may have some sort of PTSD. I haven't explored it too much though.

14. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Incredibly ignorant statement.

15. YaosDirtyStache

Sorry but there is no magic pill, and I had a friend off himself infront of his girlfriend bc his antidepressant made it worse.

So pardon me if I, along with millions of others, believe these medications to do more harm than good.

16. Lynus302

"A therapist"....so you're in therapy? Were in therapy?

PTSD following a miscarriage is a perfectly reasonable suggestion, especially when there are "other deaths and what not" involved over the past "couple of years."

Therapy for potential PTSD is very much worth exploring.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lexapro and Celexa are the same drug -- the pharma that makes it just tweaked the absorption rate so they could re-patent the drug once Celexa went generic.

18. Codman

Yes, I was in therapy, but I gave it up and tried managing it all on my own.

KingCheetah...Thank you.

I guess I can find a new hobby...haha.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Just get off your butt and stop thinking a pill can get you happy again. Do it yourself. If things that happened weren't something you could have controlled, so be it, Jedi. Do something. :eek: Get happy.

20. Lynus302

All things considered, it sounds like you're managing fairly well. That said, I'd think about giving it another shot along with the meds if you and your doc feel the need for them.

I wouldn't rely solely on medication, though. Just my two cents; I've seen therapy work wonders.

Best of luck to you, man.