1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another woman eyes PGA Tour

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Mulder, May 16, 2003.

1. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Wie Set to Play Nationwide Tour Event
    Thu May 15, 4:56 PM ET

Big Wiesy

By CHUCK OXLEY, Associated Press Writer

BOISE, Idaho - Teenager Michelle Wie has accepted a sponsor's exemption to play in the Boise Open on the Nationwide Tour, becoming the first female to compete on the PGA Tour's developmental circuit.

Wie, an eighth-grader in Honolulu who already hits the ball longer than some PGA Tour players, will be the third female this year to go head-to-head with the men.

Annika Sorenstam, the No. 1 woman in golf, will become the first woman in 58 years to play on the PGA Tour next week at the Colonial.

Suzy Whaley, a Connecticut club pro, last year qualified for the Greater Hartford Open by winning a PGA sectional tournament from a shorter set of tees. That tournament is at the end of the July.

Wie already will have experience by the time she gets to the Boise Open Sept. 15-21. She also has been invited to play in the Canadian Tour's Bay Mills Open Players' Championship on Aug. 21-24 in Brimley, Mich.

"She is exploring unlimited possibilities," said her father, B.J. Wie, a University of Hawaii professor. "I hope she makes a good impression on the Nationwide Tour players."

The 13-year-old Wie said her 290-yard drives shouldn't intimidate the men. After all, she only hits her 4-iron about 195 yards.

"If I play good, then I think they should be able to practice more and beat me later on," Wie said.

She said female golfers generally are "genetically weaker" and that "they hit the ball a little less than the men. But that's the only difference that I see."

Wie already has made an impression on PGA Tour players who have watched her play during the Hawaii swing in January. Tom Lehman (news)">photos) first called her the "Big Wiesy" because her swing reminds him of Ernie Els (news)">photos).

In Janaury, a half-dozen players stopped practicing on the range at the Sony Open to watch Wie hit her driver, belting the ball about 285 yards.

On Monday, Wie tried to qualify for the Sony Open and shot 1-over 73 at Pearl Country Club, coming up six strokes short of earning a spot in the field. Still, she tied for 47th, beating more than 40 players ¡ª some of whom play the Nationwide Tour.

On the LPGA Tour, Wie shot a 6-under 66 in March at the Kraft Nabisco Championship ¡ª the first major of the year ¡ª to get into the final group Sunday. She finished tied for ninth.

"Anybody who can hit the ball 300 yards on a consistent basis and can shoot 66 can play in my tournament," said Larry Johnston, president and chief executive officer of Albertsons grocery stores, sponsor of the Boise Open.

However, as an amateur, Wie is ineligible for the $108,000 prize.

Wie started playing golf with her parents when she was 7 and won her first tournament when she was 9.

Dude, she's 13 and she drives the ball 300 on a consistent basis. I can just see it, "Sure little girl you can play with us, just try to keep up with the big boys, mmmkay?" (Condescending snickers...) SPANK!!! Down the middle 300 yards! :eek: WTF?!
    This is who the PGA needs to worry about making the PGA co-ed.

2. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

Michelle Wie is amazing. I was blown away watching her in the Kraft Nabisco Championship. Her driving ability is something no one has ever seen in a female player. Because she's so young, she still has some trouble in pressure situations, but I'm sure that will work itself out as she gains in maturity and experience.

There's already been a HUGE buzz about her in the LPGA -- everyone's talking about how she's a female Tiger Woods. I'm not surprised the under-publicized Nationwide Tour wants to get in on some of the action.

3. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Wie is the real deal. She averages 285 on drivign holes so she won't be as blown away as Anna.
    Scary thing is if she continues to improve she very well could be on the PGA tour ina few years.
    But give her time. THere are a lot more young phenoms that burn out than change the game (ie Tiger). But she does have the physical tools to be very, very special.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Is she hot?

That's really all I care about.

5. Mulder

She's thirteen. Go bother the Olsen Twins and leave this chick alone for awhile.

6. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Hack. :rolleyes:

:)

Also, Wiesy - :) :) :)

7. Mulder

Ya, and she throws like a girl...

8. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

She may be dominant on the LPGA tour in a few years, but I wouldn't worry too much about the boys. There's probably between 10,000 and 100,000 guys in the US who can drive it as far as her but don't have the skills it takes to compete on the PGA tour (I can do it and I'm barely a single-digit handicapper).

Another example is Gabriella Reece. She can reportedly drive the ball 300 yards (and with her build, I believe it), but she hasn't even been able to get good enough to play on the LPGA tour. She has unbelievable athletic ability and the money to pay a coach full-time, but so far she has failed.

Golf isn't just about distance - distance merely qualifies you to hit shots like the pros.

All the same, good luck Michelle!

9. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Here you go, perv...

[​IMG]

10. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Mmmmm, only one more year before they're legal. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:rolleyes:

A FEMALE PGA MEMBER:eek:

I will not stand for this!!!

If this happens, men will be forced to end sexism and share restrooms with...WOMEN?!?!?!

God help us.

11. Buzz1023

Buzz1023 Member

She was also on the cover of ESPN the Magazine
    [​IMG]