1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another step to 'Christianize' Uganda: IHOP promotes prejudice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bongman, Nov 5, 2013.

1. bongman

bongman Member

Culture war: Film links U.S. Evangelicals to intolerance against gays in Uganda

They are not just promoting prejudice against homosexuals, they are also discouraging people from using safe sex (condoms) in a country where 7.5% of the population is suffering from HIV virus.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yeah, they are wrong, and this is bad.

But we owe them thanks for this video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/euXQbZDwV0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. bongman

bongman Member

Who's wrong? Can you be more specific like you always are?

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Anyone who is intolerant against homosexuals. That includes Christian evangelicals who demand the death penalty for homosexuality, but obviously even much more so Islamist governments which execute the death penalty against homosexuals.

5. bongman

bongman Member

So prejudice, anti gay, ignorance, etc is NOT limited to Islam?

How can it even "more so", if Christians tried to legislate the same thing in Uganda but just happened to fail?

This should tell all of us that not ONE religion has a monopoly in the propagation of ignorance. ALL ideologically based organizations has the capacity to do it and to single out one institution just creates a division that eventually leads to HATE between each group.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, obviously not, and I never said that.

Because making idiotic demands is one thing, actually acting on it and murdering people another.

And water is wet. Congratulations for having made this groundbreaking discovery.

7. bongman

bongman Member

You don't have to say it, you do it by the TITLES of your threads? They acted on it by the mere fact that they tried to pass it through legislation. They want to make it LEGAL to kill homosexuals.

If somebody discovers that it is bad to put your hand on top of the fire an reminds you it is bad and you keep on doing it, what does that make of you?

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I just read the article, and the comment from the group being criticized is:

"The IHOPKC leadership team upholds the New Testament view of the sanctity of sex in the context of marriage between one man and one woman,” the statement said. “However, we strongly oppose victimization or violence against any sector of society that disagrees with the biblical view. We honor the dignity and rights of all who differ from us."

I am on the far spectrum of Christianity from these guys on a ton of issues, I'm sure...and my disdain for Christian fundamentalism is pretty well established here... I'm pretty sure these guys would argue I'm not a real Christian...but I'm finding it difficult to find the call for violence from this group that is being asserted in the thread.

There is talk about a law that was proposed for the death penalty for certain homosexual acts...but the article never even remotely tries to establish that missionaries from this group were behind that effort.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks MadMax, for the clarification. In bongman's desperate and unsuccessful attempt to play "gotcha", he failed on all levels.

10. underoverup

underoverup Member

I like their pancakes. :(

11. tomato

tomato Member

Christianize me

12. Major

Major Member

The article does a bad job, but my understanding is that one of the head guys of IHOP (which is actually based on Kansas City) is shown in the film in Uganda pushing for the passage of what is generally known as the "kill the gays" bill.

13. Major

Major Member

From a quick google search - this is obviously a biased article, but I assume they didn't make this up:

http://www.religiondispatches.org/a...e_global_reach_of_far_right_christian_hatred/

Filmmaker Williams was given remarkable access to leaders and missionaries affiliated with the International House of Prayer (IHOP) movement based in Kansas City, and he makes the most of it. Dominionist Lou Engle describes Africa as a “firepot of spiritual renewal and revival,” and be believes Uganda has a special prophetic destiny. Engle has tried to distance himself somewhat from the infamous “kill the gays” bill that is pending in Uganda’s legislature, but here he is on film, at his TheCall rally in Uganda, standing with speakers calling for passage of the bill.

Engle tells the crowd he was “called” to encourage the Ugandan church for taking a stand for righteousness in the face of pressure from the United Nations and non-governmental aid organizations. Uganda, he says, is “ground zero.” The film also includes footage of Engle’s pro-Prop. 8 rally in California at which he warned that allowing same-sex couples to get married would unleash “sexual insanity” and a spirit “more demonic than Islam.”

14. bongman

bongman Member

LOL. Keep on trying to get a raise from me and running your victory lap. You keep on posting new threads for the same old agenda and I am desperate? Try again my man.

With regards to MadMax's statement, he quotes the statement of the IHOP leader. We all know that saying something usually means doing the same thing right?

Why don't you first watch the movie and tell me if the author's claim is true or not instead of trying to find a buddy to help defend you? Instead of attacking the messenger, why don't you disprove the articles claim?

If you are a Christian and you read and saw the preview (regardless if the claims are true or not), and that did not do anything to make yourselves concerned of this act, you are morally bankrupt.

15. MadMax

Sounds like a grade "A" a-hole. Terrible.

16. MadMax

Nope. All I knew of this guy and that group when I made that post was from the article in the OP. Major's information was helpful. I can't stand this stuff. It deeply offends me.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Why should I disprove anything? I have always known that there are idiots of all kinds of religions, as well as atheist idiots, and I already condemned any such views in my first reply. I have no idea if you belong to any religion, but I already know that you, too, are an idiot.

18. bongman

bongman Member

I know it does and I am sure that also offends ATW. The point of this thread is not to say Christians are immoral, rather... any organization that uses dogma and ideology can be immoral. He just seems to have a difficult time accepting that his religion of choice cannot be as evil as modern Islam when history (past and present) has shown otherwise.

19. bongman

bongman Member

TY very much for those kind words. I am sure your god is so proud of you.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

i eat da poopoo