1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another school shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, May 18, 2018.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Someone is arguing with a sociopath again.

o_O

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's actually some evidence that this could be true, but I didn't know people were still taking Ritalin these days. I thought that they moved on from prescribing Ritalin after it was linked to increasing depression and rate of suicide among pre-teens and teens.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I’m against ahdh med for many reasons, but I’m quit sure this is a load of manure.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They've already linked Ritalin to depression and suicide, and we know that depression is linked to homicide, so it's not really a stretch to think that something linked to depression could be linked to homicide.

Now of course we'd need to see some data about school shooters and the prescriptions they were taking in order for this to be anything more than a hypothetical conversation and as far as I know, that data doesn't exist.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Why do people give the NRA the spotlight and care so much about what they say?

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That's the information I was giving to the poster I quoted calling for a total gun ban. In your fervor to quote many posts I think you forgot to read them.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Probably because the NRA controls the current president and the republican party, and thus all gun laws...

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL oh yeah? How adorably naive of you, but I'd expect nothing more from our resident DNC propaganda bot.

The NRA doesn't spend anywhere near as much as numerous other organizations, and your narrative simply falls apart when you look at the numbers. The NRA spent 5.1 million dollars lobbying in 2017, that would be the 82nd most among lobby groups. They donated $1,085,200 in campaign contributions, the 491st most. Clearly this is a powerhouse that owns everyone.

This is just a situation where people try to say something often enough to where it is just accepted without any skepticism because it would take very little to completely debunk this narrative.

mick fry likes this.
  10. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

How does that infringe the rights to bear arms? Where does it say the right to "affordably" bear arms?

#110 AleksandarN, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Texas governor cancels shotgun giveaway days after school shooting
    http://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...s-plans-of-shotgun-giveaway-days-after-school

12. conquistador#11

I agree. I don't get why certain politicians want to cuddle with that. can you BELIEVE these PEOPLE use the NRA and host rallies with them. STOP giving them the light of day!

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yet another piece of information you're wrong on. Yes, it's still prescribed. There are more options now for ADHD in stimulants and newer non-stimulants but Ritalin is still a viable option. There are more restrictions in prescribing it now than in the past. You have to have check ups monthly at first and then every 3 months. They are not allowed to hand you a paper prescription any longer. You are required to turn in leftovers if you change prescriptions.

Because it is a complete load of s*it.

This is probably for another thread but...

I get the anti-ADHD drug opinions. Without Ritalin, I would not have graduated college. I was a mediocre student, barely getting by. It wasn't that I didn't know the information, I just couldn't keep my mind still enough for long enough to retain it and be able to regurgitate it at a later date. My notes were mostly doodles and half-thoughts. I went from barely passing to finishing with a gpa over 3. That said, I hated every moment on it and quit the moment I passed my last final.

My youngest son is ADHD. We've gone through just about every non-drug related option trying to get him on track. The kid is smart...but he, like me, couldn't retain information and couldn't sit still well enough to even hear the information from his teachers. We've had to do some trial and error but since he started, his grades have improved dramatically. He's nearly caught up with where he needs to be at this point. We'll always keep our options open for natural remedies and other ways to help him...but the medicine works.

IMO, the bigger issue here is...Have we really gotten to the point in this country where we're now listening to Oliver freakin North again?

#113 leroy, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

That is just your narrative...

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

B-Bob likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's another thread... I understand what you are saying. ADHD med is a very personal choice. What I don't like is both the expectation and the need to be on it for those "suffering" from ADHD. My view is there isn't necessary anything wrong with ADHD - it's a term used by society because of an expected norm. And that expected norm gets expanded into the school system. I'm dreaming here - but in a future world (of virtual reality and advance technology), there would be real personalized learning. ADHD (and many other "terms") can learn just fine, just in a different ways than the "standard" way.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Leave your asthma, peanut allergies and all your other made up bullsh*t conditions at the door

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Many of the gun control advocates in this thread have stated a complete ban on weapons is not likely or even what they want. Outside of the far left fringe, nobody has been calling for a ban on shotguns or revolvers like the guns used in Santa Fe. Then please explain to me how the solutions to reducing school shootings doesn't involve additional security measures?

And no I don't view arming teachers as a real solution.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think most rational people who have actually thought about the issue realize that gun bans are not only unlikely to happen, but any gun ban that could actually happen wouldn't move the needle when it comes to school massacres. I mean, to this day the worse ever school massacre was a bombing and the 2nd worst was a gunman armed with handguns.

Anyone that has even a little bit of sense realizes that security is the only practical way to combat school shootings....and even the best realistic security measures won't entirely prevent them, just limit the damage done.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

We dont need bans. We dont need gun confiscation. We dont need gun registration.

What we need is a permit system that requires anyone who owns a gun to have a permit, take classes and demonstrate gun safety.
    Additionally all firearm and accessories should only be accessible from specialized firearms stores.
    Force gun manufactures to do limited runs of guns. stop the literal endless supply of guns entering the street. Its insane that supply is massively higher than demand.