1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Hijack!?!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pole, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I heard a greyhound bus was hijacked this morning. The driver's throat was slashed and the bus wrecked. Anywhere from 3 to 12 dead. Anyone hear anything else?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Greyhound has grounded all buses nationwide...according to pbs.

3. Pole

maybe not....it's hitting major news sites now. It sounds like just a passenger that freaked out and killed the bus driver.

Wow....I just managed to sound blasé.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I guess the good news is that a bus can't bring down a 100+ story skyscraper. I tell ya, bus security is TERRIBLE these days.

Give bus drivers guns! That would solve a lot of problems...If somebody doesn't stand behind the yellow line, they pay the consequences...

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/10/03/bus.crash/

The scary thing about this is that I live in Manchester! I was on my way to work this morning, and I noticed an inordinate amount of cars going towards Murfreesboro on Highway 41, passing me in the opposite direction. I thought to myself that there must have been a wreck somewhere, but as I kept driving, I never did see the remnants...I just saw some Manchester city police officers directing traffic. It wasn't until I got to work this morning that some co-workers told me about this. What this report does not say is that the man who slit the bus driver's throat was of "reportedly Arabic descent". This is what the local radio station said in its description of him. I'm starting to freak out a little bit because this happened about 3 miles from where I live!

They are taking the driver to the hospital in Manchester, and people at work, me included, have already commented that he, the bus driver, will probably not survive due to the "sterling" reputation Manchester hospitals have.

6. Pole

IF....and that's a very big "if" as this is all speculation right now....but if this attacker is Muslim, this is going to make for some very interesting conversations. Why? I don't think this terrorist network has been plotting to hijack a greyhound bus and wreck it in Manchester TN (no offense, Manny). That would mean....again, speculation....that this was just a random attack. Possibly, someone who wanted to jump on the bandwagon and claim some glory for Allah.

then again, it was probably just some crackhead going through DT's.

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I have a hard time believing that one incident like this is a terrorist attack. Usually the attacks are well-timed and happen at the same time, and they would have gone after huge numbers of people, a small number of people would have defeated their sick purpose and alerted the government. The terrorist are like robots, they will not go off the path they take to do something on a smaller scale (in their eyes) like this. Glad you're ok Manny! :) To many crazy people in this world.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Considering the authorities have stated there is no reason to suspect this is a "terrorist attack" that is in line with previous attacks, I think this is just your average nut trying to kill people. Pretty much the usual whacko attempt at a rampage.

9. Manny Ramirez

Rocks: Thanks.

I don't think that this was a terrorist attack...just some wacko who like others have said "wants to glorify Allah."

It's just a little freaky that something like this happens less than 3 miles where you live plus in a town of 7,000 people. It just goes to show, unfortunately, that despite living in a small town, that you are not immune to tragic things happening.

10. Manny Ramirez

Just been told by some people that the attacker was Croatian and not Arabic. Also, he is still alive but at a hospital.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Alive? CNN reported he was dead and that the driver was alive. Are you sure?

12. Manny Ramirez

Pretty sure...all the local middle Tennessee websites and local radio stations have reported this. There have been some conflicting reports. One report said 10 people died and another said 6.

http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp?S=493977&nav=1ugB4xkj

Well, just reading this story, I now see that the attacker was confirmed dead at 11:00 a.m. CST .

So, he was alive when they reported on it..he must have died going to the hospital or at the hospital.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

They said his throat was cut, but he was slashed on the back of his neck :confused:

I hate the media!

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Whose throat was cut? The hijacker's? You guys are confusing the hell out of me. The driver was a woman, wasn't she?