1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Denied Super Bowl Ad

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by twhy77, Jan 29, 2009.

1. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Check out the video before reading the story. I just want to see what everyone's reaction to it is.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V2CaBR3z85c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V2CaBR3z85c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Whether I agree with your stance on abortion or not, this ad is disingenuous propaganda.

3. twhy77

How is it disingenuous?

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

dude that's so racist it's not even funny

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure what would be disingenuous or racist about it.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Well, on a purely superficial level, I'm willing to bet that the ultrasound video is NOT Obama in utero.

I will let you uncover the deeper levels.

7. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

I'm pro killing and anti-obama on issues but I think it was cool.

Emotional and aimed at people who are pro-killing.

8. twhy77

My original comment wasn't very nice. But please elaborate further on how it is disingenuous.

#8 twhy77, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  9. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

I have no problem with that add. The big Catholicvote.com at the end would have been a major lightening rod simply because there are so many people who have resentments about the Catholic Church they grew up in, but beyond that I don’t see anything wrong with the ad. It’s a good reminder, imo.

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Obama's pro-choice. He's been pretty clear on that. Stop the ad at 0:32. It looks like an endorsement. It isn't.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. Does it matter if you're pro-choice or pro-life with respect to this ad? I mean, I'm really grateful Obama's mom brought him into this world. I think the world is a better place with him than without him...aside from legislation or court rulings.

2. Really looked like an endorsement to you? I didn't suspect for a second that this was an endorsement. I suppose it could, though.

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

That's a great ad. Maybe someone has already killed some child who would have been the first female president? Wouldn't that be ironic?

13. twhy77

You think they are trying to make him look like he's selling it? I don't think that's what they were going for at all. I think they were trying to stress that the world's most powerful man, this brilliant politician, was in utero under similar circumstances that many abortions happen. That's why the tagline, Life, Imagine the possibilities is right there as well. It's meant to be a juxtaposition of ideas.

14. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Racist? You obviously don't even know the meaning of the word.

15. MadMax

You can go either way with that...perhaps we were saved another Hitler.

I think most important is that we grasp on to the idea that human life is to be valued. Among my closest friends is a guy who was "this" close to being aborted....and trust me when I tell you the world is a better place with him in it.

But valuing human life in this way has implications beyond just the abortion discussion. Implications that we might be very uncomfortable with.

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Indeed, but they should get their shot at a life... but not to this extent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

17. MadMax

You won't get an argument on that from me! :)

18. Major

Major Member

That would make for an interesting counter-ad. As for this ad, I'm not pro-life, but I don't have a problem with it. I don't think many people are easily swayed by ads on the abortion issue, so I don't know that it would be terribly useful, but probably moreso than the normal abortion-related ads. It seems like a way to get people to think about the issue in a different light.

19. twhy77

You guys could at least wait until I'm not posting in a thread to start making fun of Catholics.

20. twhy77

It wouldn't be counter ad at all. That's the beauty of life, we don't all have to be perfect. Even Hitler had a shot at redemption right until the end. And who knows the guy was mental. In contrast, his evil gave the world a chance to be really great and stop him. Yeah, there was suffering. But there's always suffering.