1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another day another mass shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 8, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Assault rifle, military firearm that is chambered for ammunition of reduced size or propellant charge and that has the capacity to switch between semiautomatic and fully automatic fire. Because they are light and portable yet still able to deliver a high volume of fire with reasonable accuracy at modern combat ranges of 1,000–1,600 feet (300–500 metres), assault rifles have replaced the high-powered bolt-action and semiautomatic rifles of the World War II era as the standard infantry weapon of modern armies.

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Well, I'm all for mandatory gun enhancements for criminal charges. There needs to be better deterrents in the criminal justice system. It's not a fix-all, but it should help.

Nook and rocketsjudoka like this.
  3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Those are not accessible to people without a very thorough background check, registration and a tax stamp, and tens of thousands of dollars. They are already effectively illegal. When politicians talk about an assault weapons ban, they are generally talking about a ban on firearms that were covered in the 1994 assault weapons ban, California's very similar assault weapons ban, or something even more restrictive. An AR-15, for example, does not meet the definition of an assault rifle, but is covered by the assault weapons ban.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

pgabriel likes this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I appreciate your knowledge on this topic but what point are you making here? If I want thise weapons banned then why are you saying they are not accessible because of those reasons?

Them not being accessible is grea imot. If your point is we don't need a ban , you may not be able to get one in California but you can get one in Texas

6. StupidMoniker

Yes, Machine Guns Are 'Legal' (But Here Comes All the Catches) | The National Interest
    I laid out the steps you have to go through in my previous post to get an assault rifle (which the federal government classifies as a machine gun). No new machine guns have been allowed to be registered since 1986, and you cannot legally buy an unregistered machine gun (which is why they cost so much). They are all but banned, with legal machine guns selling for $10,000 and up. No lawfully owned machine gun has been used in a crime since 1934, so they are not a problem that needs to be solved. You are trying to ban something that only a small number of rich collectors own and never use to break the law.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@StupidMoniker

You
    Apparently it isn't hard to get an in AR15 Texas. AR15s

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2023/ar-15-force-mass-shootings/

While other weapons, including various types of semiautomatic rifles, are used in violent crimes, AR-15s have been used in 10 of the 18 shootings since 2012 in which 10 or more people were killed — making it the most commonly used weapon in the country’s deadliest mass killings.

Why do you think people should be able to have them?

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again the point is that there is no perfect or fast solution. The steps taken to address shootings like what happened at Lakewood Chuch or in Burnsville Mn will not stop all firearm crimes but they will reduce firearm crimes.

republicans arguments are disingenuous as a way to prevent more firearm regulation but also to take political shots at Democratic political bases in urban areas. The solution of doing nothing won’t reduce inner city crime. Better tracking of firearm sales and holding gun owners liable for allowing their weapons to fall in the hands of criminals will.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You are correct that fully automatic weapons are banned already. That said devices which can modify semiautomatic weapons or allow semiautomatics to increase their rate of fire are poorly regulated. The devices used by the shooter in Las Vegas allowed semiautomatics to approach a rate of fire similar to automatics which was why he was able to kill and injure so many in a short period of time.

10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am 100% in favor of much stiffer penalties for anyone harming, threatening, bullying, or killing others. I don't care if it's guns, fists, or drunk drivers. You can lock them up forever for all I care.

As for guns and gun violence, make no mistake, it's Republicans, not Democrats that are making it easy for criminals, thugs, and mentally ill people to easily purchase weapons. Sure there is more violence and murder in big cities, but the Republicans are the ones who refuse to close the loophole that makes it easy for the criminals, felons, drug dealers, violent offenders, and the mentally ill to purchase weapons.

Currently, Texans can obtain guns through private sales and gun shows to avoid federal background check requirements.

Only gun dealers with a Federal Firearms License (FFL) are required to run a background check before selling a gun in Texas. Texas has NO state requirement for comprehensive background checks when purchasing a firearm. Therefore, persons prohibited from owning firearms due to a documented history of violence can easily obtain a gun – on the internet, at a gun show, or from private sellers. Presently, a private seller can rent table space and carry a “private sale,” or other sign that indicates to purchasers that no paperwork, background check, or recordkeeping are required. Sometimes, individual sellers will simply walk around the grounds with a card, allowing others to approach them, and simply perform a transaction without even the exchange of names.

An individual who would be prohibited from purchasing a gun under federal law, such as a felon or domestic abuser, is be able to purchase a gun through an individual or unlicensed vendor.

There are an average of over 69,000 ads on Armslist in Texas for firearm sales that would not require a background check. It is estimated that 25-50% of gun show sales are from unlicensed or private individual sellers. There are 37 gun shows next month in Texas alone!!

https://gunshowtrader.com/gunshows/texas-gun-shows/

A bill requiring criminal background checks for all gun sales has no Republican support in the Senate. With Republicans in control of the House for at least the next two years, universal background checks will remain a non-starter.
    90% of Americans are in favor of this bill.

https://www.murphy.senate.gov/newsr...hecks-is-hugely-popular-republicans-dont-care

#3970 deb4rockets, Feb 20, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    Nook, Andre0087, Amiga and 1 other person like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

In regard to the argument that mass shootings make up a small proportion of firearm deaths that is correct. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t regulated firearms on that basis.

I’ve brought this up before but air travel is overall very safe with very very few people dying in the last few decades from air travel with compare to other forms of travel. In fact the incident with the Alaska air flight where a cabin panel fell off in mid flight no one died. As far as I can recall no politician or talking head said we shouldn’t be addressing that issue and holding Boeing to account because so many more people die in car accidents than in plane accidents. No one was making arguments that shouldn’t ground the 737 Max because it wasn’t technically a “jumbo jet”.

Air travel is very safe because it is highly regulated. It is fully understood that the risk of plane crashes require a lot of regulation and with larger and more powerful planes more regulation is needed.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

**unconfirmed**

13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Another dangerous criminal and murderer who could have just walked into a gun show and bought a weapon, ordered one online, or bought one from some guy off the street with no record keeping required. Close the gun loopholes!

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

gun show false
    online false
    off the street - not a loophole

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I believe that's the case in most schools. I don't bring the topic up directly because I want them to maintain their innocence as much as possible. However, I believe they know. My kids joke around about how silly the drills are, and they started doing that around 3rd grade. The kids are smart; they know and they understand. There is also fear in them that they just push aside. Once in a while, they do ask me about guns, and I really have no answer. All I can say is the chance of it happening is extremely low, lower than getting into a fatal car accident (that's no longer true, btw; your kids' chance of being killed by guns is higher than being killed on the road). They are definitely smarter about it, more aware of it, but at the same time, carry the burden of fear. Too young, IMO... maybe wait until high school. I actually prefer the school skipping the drills for children. I have seen no evidence that it helps at all, but there is a good suspicion it's harmful to mental health, and pretty much 100% of kids attending school are being impacted by these drills.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I don't know who he bought it from, but my point was that any felon, violent offender, mentally ill person or criminal can buy a gun from a private seller in states with loopholes laws like Texas. Sure, they aren't supposed to have the weapons legally, but Texas law allows private party sales between two people who are 18 or older, this includes handguns and long guns. You do not need any type of license to sell one of your personal guns to another person nor are you required to do a background check.

17. StupidMoniker

AR-15s are not assault rifles, because they are not select fire weapons. They are semi-automatic rifles. They should be allowed to have them because they are very effective weapons that are infrequently used in crime but excellent for self-defense, home defense, hunting of small to medium game, defense against things like coyotes and wolves, they are frequently used against feral hogs, and there is no particular reason they should not be allowed. The fact that you don't even seem to understand what the laws that you are asking for mean would be a good indicator that they should not be passed. You are trying to take away rights from millions of people because of literally 10 events in the last 12 years.

I told you already what would reduce firearm crime. There are thousands of murders committed with firearms. My proposed legislation would apply to all of them, regulations such as more tracking and liability that somehow applies to people who may have done nothing wrong addresses only a small percentage of them, or is so grossly unfair and unconstitutional that it would never apply to anything.
    That's only true if the kid in question is in and around the gang life. Those numbers are driven by 14-19 year olds getting killed in gang wars, not random kids around America dying to gun violence. They even had to make the age range 1-19, because if you include 0-1 or exclude over 18, then car accidents still kill more.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You're right I don't know much about guns

That being said I keep saying I think assault rifles should be banned and I respect your knowledge and I thoroughness on all topics you comment on. I should aspire to be more thorough before commenting

If AR15s weren't included in an assault rifle ban it would still be assault rifle ban and I see some sites that'says AR15s are assault rifles and an AR15 was 1994 assault rifle ban

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@StupidMoniker

I'm sure you are a really good lawyer. I have been baited into some discussions like the machine gun stuff to expose me not knowing enough and at the end of the day it's a lesson for me that I don't know a lot about most topics. but sometimes you try to bait people into conversations again like the machine guns just to win an argument seemingly.

If there was a point to the machine gun talk i apologize .

That being said my life has changed for the worst over my time as a member here and I had stopped posting a lot because I realized for some reason I'm not as informed as I used to be

And I'll apologize to everyone for my continued grammar mistakes. That's just laziness

Lastly l do stay out of gun topics because I realized years ago on this site by the gun lovers that there is a lot to guns and I think that plays out in congress with the gun lobby

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Since around 2017, guns have been responsible for more deaths than car crashes among the general population of children and young adults.