1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson - 2024 NFL Hall of Fame Nominee

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's the football HOF, they have a notoriously low bar for letting people in. Not as low as the basketball HOF, but still a very "big hall" mentality

Houstunna and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

It's the Hall of "Fame" not the Hall of Greatness, and I'm ok with it

Fun talk: Who should NOT be in the NFL HOF?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd have to take a much closer look at it than I have in a LONG time, but there's 371 members of the NFL HOF that goes back to 1920 and only 273 former players in the MLB HOF that goes back to 1876. It's just a different approach.

Off the top of my head, Marcus Allen probably shouldn't be in the HOF and I know there's a lot of the older guys that had a MUCH lower bar for getting in than I'd probably like.

I personally am more a fan of "small halls", I think it should be ONLY the best of the best of all time. IMO it should be the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of the Very Good

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I’ve been wondering, is there any good place to check and see the titans fans reaction to this?

7. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

He has a lot of respect in the football community and I think most realize (as obvious by his induction) his low TD numbers weren't his fault

8. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

https://gotitans.com/threads/hof-2024.103918/

Nothing major...it did make me realize that Possum Holler doesn't have a single Hall of Famer yet.

9. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Marcus Allen had the numbers to be in, particularly when he retired. I believe he was 6th all time in rushing upon retirement. Won an MVP.
    John Riggins and Floyd Little on the other hand. If Little is in, then Priest Holmes should undoubtedly be in.

10. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Yep. He would be open and have to stop and wait on ALOT of passes

GOATuve likes this.
  11. mario_v

mario_v Member

Eli Manning. He’s not in the hall of fame yet, but I think he’ll be eligible to make it next year.

Eli was an awful qb, mediocre at best. Two superbowl championships does not make up for being an average qb.

ROCKSS likes this.
  12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Eli is in my personal football HOF just for beating the Pats twice in the SB. The drama during their season in the first SB run was intense.

When the Giants got the ball with 2 mins left in SB42, I told my son there was "no way" Eli Manning was going to lead the Giants to a win against the undefeated Pats. It was glorious!

I do agree he doesn't belong in the real HOF.

clos4life and ROCKSS like this.
  13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

ya this is the last legit HOF class for football, once eli gets in the whole HOF becomes a disgrace. A career below average starter making the hof is pathetic

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

mikol13 likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Joe Namath only won one, but he certainly had the "Fame" part down.

16. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

17. Fantasma Negro

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Well, football plays 22; baseball only 9. When you exclude non-players, baseball has averaged ~3 inductees/year; football ~5.

I'm not sure what the argument against Marcus Allen would be? He was ROY, MVP, SB MVP. He was 7th all-time in rushing yards when he retired; 14th currently. He was 2nd all-time in scrimmage yards when he retired; 8th currently. He's 3rd all-time in rushing TDs; 6th all-time in total TDs.

I mean, if Marcus Allen isn't a Hall of Famer, I'm not sure there should be a Hall of Fame.

19. Buck Turgidson

Who is the worst RB in the HOF?

Namath is the worst QB, but...yeah

20. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

He played a long a$$ time and he was really only ‘elite’ for one year. You play long enough like he did and those all time records start adding up.

lemme put it this way. The Hoodie is tied for most career HC losses. Why? BC he’s coached a long a$$ time. That don’t mean he’s a trash loser coach tho.