1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

And after Jimy...get rid of that STUPID hill

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Jun 16, 2004.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

That hill is a joke and adds no homefield advantage whatsoever. They need to get rid of it during the offseason before someone blows out a knee going for a flyball.

2. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I like it's uniqueness myself. Sets MMP apart from other fields. And I think it would play a great homefield advantage if we had a speedy CF who got used to it.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

How many players have blown their knee so far?

4. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

And after Rick Suckcliff's constant bashing of it on the ESPN game on Monday I would be upset if they ditched it. I find it really annoying when he broadcasts Cubs games as a national personality when he is obviously swayed to root for one of the teams in the game. All I hear about is how great the Cubs are and occasionally he throws something in about the 'Stros to appear unbiased.

5. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I cannot stand the ballpark's clownish feel. They should've done better.

6. tigereye

tigereye Member

As an avid sports fan, this is what I get sick about when it comes to baseball.

A team is not performing up to its expectations.

So who do we put the blame on, who’s the scapegoat?

In Chicago, its Bartman who went for a foul ball like any other fan would do.

In Houston ...........its a damn hill.

Why? Cause it adds no home field advantage.

Hello, was the hill even designed to add a home field advantage in any way? Call me stupid but I think not.

And for the record, do other ballparks like Safeco Field with normal fences and playing fields give there team an added home field advantage in any way.

No.

So officially, this has to be the most asinine thing ever said in the board's history. This board really needs a post hall of fame/shame.........

And FYI .........Playing fields and fences do not give a team an added home field advantage.

The fans, the rowdy atmosphere they create and the noise they generate do.

So if you want give the Astros a home field advantage in Minute Maid Park, do something about it and buy a damn ticket, not complain about a stupid hill.

As a Yankee fan, I have been to almost every ballpark in baseball and I must say, you guys must have nothing else to complain about these days. Some of you make it sound like the ‘Stros play in the Networks Associate Mausoleum. Minute Maid Park, by far and away, is one of the best new ballparks in baseball period.

Why?

Those fences and hill that some of you refer to as "clownish" add a unique challenging aspect to the play in the outfield. Think about it. In every other ballpark, all the outfielder has to worry about when making a play is the wall and his teammate, no other obstacles. Thus this makes most outfield plays seem almost easy and routine, hence the term "routine fly ball." What's best about this ballpark is that any play is anything but “routine.” With all the nooks and quirks, as well as the hill and flag pole, outfield usual routine fly's get very interesting. The unusual caroms off the wall can make the best "major leaguer" look like a little leaguer, not to mention create some exciting action on the base paths, turning a triple out of a single.

That's what makes watching a game at Minute Maid Park much more exciting then at most other ballparks.

And that's a helluva lot better then paying the same ticket price to watch a "1-0 fly-out boredom fest" at Safeco.

7. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

No, the ballpark in general, is clownish! The hill is a ridiculous feature. I don't care about this "home field advantage" business; the hill is just a stupid idea, in my opinion. I, personally, like a ballpark to have a classic and classy look to it.

On a side note, I heard during a halftime interview David Stern said that the 3 point basket was not uniquely challenging enough, so for the 04-05 season league officials will introduce the 25 point basket. The basket will drop down from the rafters during the last two minutes of each half.

8. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Well it's getting annoying that Biggio is being made to look like a fool out there; that's three times in the past 3 days.

If it has to go, keep it flat, but not fully. Give it the Crosley look. Have it curve slightly that leads up to a 'ramp' by the wall.

But it IS a home-field advantage. This series, there have been numerous shots hit out in the vicinty of the hill, and anywhere else (except maybe a couple places) it would be out. It's saved at least 3 runs in this series alone.

The only player I can remember that hit it out with clearance was Piaza a few years ago.

But for god sakes, I don't know how much longer I can watch this damn team. Fire Jimy already!!! Trade Hidalgo for peanuts and find a new hitting coach. The BREWERS are ahead. WTF??!!

9. tigereye

tigereye Member

You do know that the Hill is not a futuristic idea or concept developed by the Astros.

Do some research.......see Crosley Field, home of the Cincy Reds from 1912 to 1970.

If you thought Tal's Hill was bad, the "Crosley Terrace" lined the entire outfield fence, foul pole to foul pole.

If you wanted classic, the hill is as classic as you can get.

10. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

The only reason people are talking about this now is because the opponents are hitting it out there.

When's the last time the Astros hit the ball out there?

Yeah sorry the Astros got alot more problems than that hill

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

its not classic if its only in one stupid stadium. its a r****ded idea and it never should have been put in place. we might as well make the entire outfield like mogul skiing and have more ridiculous flagpoles in the field of play for no particular reason.

12. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

My comments refering the "classic look" and the "hill" are mutually exclusive. The ballpark has a clownish feel, Tal's hill notwithstanding. If Tal's hill was in any ballpark it would still be a ridiculously stupid idea.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I got to go to the game Monday... first one in awhile, and I love Minute Maid Park. Not crazy about the name, not crazy about the loud Cubbie fans making more noise than the home crowd in the late innings, but I love the field. How can anyone not love it, who saw the Astros at Colt Stadium, and all the decades at that barn of a ballpark, the Dome. How can you not love it? It's so far beyond what we had, that to dislike it is nuts. I've heard fans of other clubs sing long and loud about how lucky we are. Tigereye is just a sample.

We've got problems with the team, the management, the owner... that could be argued... but not with where we play. Not anymore. And I think tigereye is on the money about the Hill and the odd quirks in the outfield. I like it. Thought it was nuts when I first heard about it (the Hill). No longer. When I saw that roof start to glide open, without a sound, during play, I just sat back with a sigh and said,"I love this place!" And I do.

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

I'm with Deckard and the others.

I like the hill.

One of my best memories of MMP/Enron was when Berkman, who was our CF at the time, made a diving/rolling catch on that hill, hat falling off and everything. The look on his face aftewards was priceless. He just sat there grinning. Ill always remember that play.

Overall, I don't see how the hill or foul pole have helped us or hindered us. So why worry about it?

15. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I'm sure you meant flag pole, not foul pole. It did help us once. Take a close look at it, about half way up. Richie Sexton hit a massive drive out to center one day, hitting the pole hard enough to dent it. That pole turned a 450 ft. home run into a single. Last time I checked, the dent was still there.

16. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

as a recent baseball convert... mainly due to a great MMP experience i'd just like to say i love the Hill.... furthermore maybe the Stros should run competitions to win a picnic on the Hill during games.... it should be pretty safe unless Dotel is pitching

17. Buck Turgidson

Matt Stairs tagged one to center, maybe the longest at MMP.

18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Oh really?

19. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

You really outdid yourself here....how long have you been a Yankee fan? Since '95? Anyway, you obviously have never seen a Red Sox game if you don't think fences, etc have anything to do with a homefield advantage. There are several parks with these types of advantages....some of them work, some of them don't. The hill clearly does not.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The hill wasn't created for home-field advantage, and the Astros have never contended that it provides one.

It was the creation of Tal Smith, obviously. It's nothing more than an interesting quirk....that frankly, rarely comes into play.

Buck -- didn't Sexson hit the flag pole out there?? it robbed him of a homerun!! now that night, it was a home-field advantage! :D