1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

America's New Concentration Camp System

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jun 23, 2019.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

So evil to work against giving bedding innocent children. These are humans. It is ok, they can be fired and replaced with American patriots.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It is. Feels like I’m watching some episode of dumb and dumber in the USA.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you are a real patriot, you totally have to support child abuse. Only commie pinko seditionists would support something as insane as treating children properly.

CometsWin likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Meanwhile, trump rolls out a familiar lie at a Faith & freedom coalition rally...

6. NewRoxFan

7. Anticope

Anticope Member

My question to the deniers would be this: at what point is it okay to refer to something as being a concentration camp? When there's forced labor involved? When the gas chambers are finally installed? When is the comparison actually appropriate? A lot of people seem to think that calling these facilities concentration camps is a disservice to people who suffered through events like the Holocaust, but it seems like denying that events like that could happen again and not recognizing that the transition to such conditions is always a gradual one seems to do far more disservice to those victims than actually referring to facilities like the ones along the border as concentration camps.

8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Trump wants congress to fix and speed up our immigration system so people aren't coming in such mass illegally.. Democrats don't want to fix and speed up our legal immigration system.

Trump wants funds to protect the border because we don't have the resources to sustain the illegal immigration occurring in mass.. The Democrats don't want to give any resources to add more border patrol agents, surveillance, and a wall. In fact, they literally go on a media campaign to claim there is no problem at the border and Trump is a liar lol which I'm sure if I pull up 90% of the libtards posters on this forum I'll find posts they made agreeing with the 'faux border crisis' liberal campaign.

Trump says fine, I don't agree with sanctuary cities, but since I can't seemingly stop them.. to help alleviate our border crisis how about we transport the overflow of these illegals to sanctuary cities? Democrats say 'Orange man bad, how dare orange man recommend such a thing'.

Trump hits a dead end each time trying to fix the problem with the Democrats. They are unwilling. Now they want to fork out 4 billion for a band-aid at the border that doesn't fix the problem because they didn't do their jobs to begin with, instead the Democrats chose to vote to give themselves pay raises.

#108 Realjad, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

been thinking about this some more . . . why would it not be more accurate to refer to the detention centers as "refugee camps"?

One of the things that critics of the Trump administration have emphasized is that there is a difference between "illegal" immigrants and those people who are seeking asylum.

If we consider all immigrants to be asylum-seekers, would that not make the camps "refugee camps," as is the naming practice elsewhere in the world?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugee_camp

10. HTM

HTM Member

I'm not sure who the "denier" are or what you think they are "denying"

It's not okay to refer to the detention facilities housing migrants at the southern border as "concentration camps" because in the common lexicon there is an association with concentration camps and intentional human rights abuses and war crimes. Most all concentration camps that come to mind are replete with those horrors. It is not proper to draw that correlation or put that in peoples minds.

The detention facilities may very well be inadequate and overwhelmed, I'm sure conditions vary from palatable to grossly inadequate. I do not think that the grossly inadequate situations are by design or intentional they are symptoms of an overwhelmed system. The fact of the matter is that CPB and the federal government are human institutions comprised of humans with human failings. What Federal government program or system runs perfectly? Especially in a crisis situation? CPB and the federal government are attempting to house, shelter, feed and provide all the necessities to hundreds of thousands of people that are showing up at our southern border. To provide that and to provide it perfectly for everyone isn't realistic. The system will fail to some degree. I think the failings should be remedied as soon as possible but I do not associate wrong doing or evil doing with those failings.

The situation is much more comparable to a refugee camp than to a concentration camp IMO.

11. WNBA

WNBA Member

refugee camps host people who are in needs. The intention is to help. Refugee camps are run in Mexico side.

Concentration camps hold people who are deemed as illegal. The intention is to separate, scare, and punish. The camps run by Trump state are exactly concentration camps.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

if you say so

13. NewRoxFan

Its all on the republican senate and trump now...

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

don't care what it is called... care about what's going on

But to answer your question, from my limited understanding, "refugee camps" and the typical rights and support for that is 1000x better than "concentration camps". If we can get it to that state, that would be so much better. But, I'm very doubtful this admin would want to provide those additional support and rights. Support include for example, the right for the refugee to go to school, build their own housing.... it's almost like a small city for temporary (which could takes years) hold of refugee until they can be settled somewhere.

p.s. it's probably the right model for a future where we are looking at 100s million of environmental refugee.

p.s.2 the world can also all contribute these camps (UN fx)

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

'
    Because people in refugee camps aren't locked in cells

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Based on the reports we are seeing of people being held in standing room cells for weeks, no hot food, no showers, no freedom of movement - they are indeed concentration camps.

17. NewRoxFan

A senate bill appears to have passed pretty overwhelmingly...

Senate passes border spending package, setting up fight with House
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/26/immigration-border-fight-congress-1383717

18. HTM

HTM Member

Refugee camps aren't built in a vacuum. They aren't all the same. You paint a very rosy picture. I'm sure the reality is quite different. Some are more developed, better funded and better supported than others. They run the gamut of conditions.

19. HTM

HTM Member

Maybe, and I know you will struggle with this, some of the facilities are better equipped to handle people than others, and maybe the experiences aren't all the same?

Those failings need to be remedied but it's not fair to tar the entire system with those failings.

Widespread and repetitive reporting on the absolute worst conditions and anecdotal anecdotal experiences, because, you know, hey, liberal media looking to paint this in the absolute worst light possible, may actually not be indicative of the majorities experiences.

20. HTM

HTM Member

What is the freedom of movement allowed to refugees at refugee camps? Can they leave and go anywhere in the country they desire? Do you know?