1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American Idol - Season 10

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by baller4life315, Feb 18, 2011.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Has anybody been watching?

Thoughts on the new panel?

Any early favorites?

***My apologies if there's a thread of this nature already created. I looked around and did a search***

2. Prince

Prince Member

great new judges..

great new talents...

great season so far...

3. SunsRocketsfan

4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I felt bad for the fat kid, I don't suppose he'll be around much longer.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Me and the wife watched the first few episodes and I was surprised at how much I liked the new judges, esp. Tyler.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

After boycotting the show last year (didn't watch a single episode), I decided to give it a second chance but definitely went into it with some healthy skepticism (Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez both judges?? JHo, seriously??!!).

But I really like it so far - Tyler has been brilliant and Randy Jackson is settling into his new role as elder statesman quite nicely. But the biggest surprise has been Lopez. I thought for sure she would show some of her supposed diva habits (let's face it, she is one of the biggest divas on the planet) but she has kept them throttled for the most part or the producers have done a great job of covering them up (it has probably been a little both). If this continues to go this way, I may find myself, ugh, actually liking her!

As for contestants, I am not all that impressed with the girls. I do like the guys - here are some thoughts and comments on various guys:

James Durbin - I'm rooting for this guy as he had a lot of issues he has had to overcome in his life. He does oversing that high range a little much (sorta like Mariah Carey would do) but if he would tone that down just a notch, I think he would be one of the favorites to win it all.

Chris Medina - his backstory will make you cry (a couple of weeks before marrying his long-term gf, she was in a horrific auto accident and now has severe brain damage) and the dude can sing. I am a little worried that he may not last much longer but I am hoping he can.

Casey Abrams - this was the guy that played the melodica on his audition - incredible talent with great vocals. I think he is a shoo-in for the final 12. I would root for him to win it all if it wasn't for Chris Medina.

Clint "Jun" Gamboa - he has an incredible voice but he is also incredibly obnoxious and his designer glasses are ridiculous. There is a part of me that wants to see him get booted off next week but there is another part of me that will miss his voice.

Jacee Boudoux (sp?) - he's 15, a little overweight, but adorable, nonetheless. Personally, I think he has to sing the right song to compete so I am worried that he may not last much longer.

Two people that I cannot believe that are still in it are the McCrary kid who with his deep country voice is a one trick pony, IMO and the psycho b****, Ashley Sullivan. I thought if you forgot the words, you were eliminated but both of these people made it through. I have a feeling that the producers want Sullivan around a little longer because she is so freaking nuts (sorta like that Tatiana girl from a couple years back) but I really don't like it when they cater to those types.

7. University Blue

Is "Jun" the guy with the crazy glasses who kicked that chubby kid out of the group? If so, 4I's should go home.

Is McCrary the cowboy? He's good; and he will stay around because of his good looks.

What about that blonde kid with the shaggy bangs? He has good stage presence and can sing. He's my pick after the first month.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm surprised as hell they are letting people pass through rounds for forgetting the lyrics...like the low voice guy. I don't think Simon would have put up with that. The fat kid had a good reason for the group effort in he got the boot from one group and only found the other group later with some song he never heard of. But, last night when they were doing solo turns...the crazy girl and the low voice guy totally blew it. Yet, they still made it. And, here I thought forgetting the lyrics was the kiss of death. I guess that is not the case any more. They seem to be letting people through who have no chance and should have been sent home, i.e. charity cases.

9. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

That dude who sang "God Bless the Child" last night straight up killed it.

One of the best performances I've ever seen in Hollywood Week.

If the producers want a country singer the John Wayne guy is way better than McCreery, but I'm worried they may choose Scotty to get the teen girl vote.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Very surprising to hear all the praise for the new panel. Personally, I don't like the new mix. Quite simply: they're too soft. I suppose within the last week or two they've "toughened" up a bit (relatively speaking) but I definitely miss Simon Cowell's blunt/honest feedback.

So far nobody is really sticking out to me. Sure, there are a few really good singers but nobody with that it factor. I don't see any of these guys/girls and think "Wow, this person is going to win" or anything like that. If I had to make an early prediction on who I think will win I guess I'd say that James Durbin kid. He's basically an Adam Lambert clone.

11. Manny Ramirez

Yes but unfortunately he does have a killer voice. He is obnoxious but it is because he KNOWS he is good. Producers probably like him because they can market him as a "villain" type.

You might be getting him confused with the John Wayne guy who is always wearing a black cowboy hat. McCrary never wears a hat and for the longest time, sang the same song over and over and over.

Yea, I forgot about him. He's good - it was hilarious to hear Randy say "That blonde guy is crazy!" I don't think he is better than Durbin or Abrams or even "Jun" but I think he will make it to the next round.

12. Manny Ramirez

Not really surprising if you ask me. You went from 4 judges to 3 and you got 2 new ones who are actually in the business. I'm sorry but having Ellen, of all people, as a judge was just a dumb, dumb, dumb move all around and screamed "publicity stunt". I and half this board had more business of being an AI judge than her. She was the reason why I didn't watch last year. And to me, Lopez has been a FAR better judge on the show at this point compared to Kara DiGuordi (whatever her last name was). Simon is a huge departure and is missed; however, I think that Steven Tyler has really stepped up and become the personality that the show needed. He is not a Simon clone - but he is original and easily the best personality on the show and that has only helped.

13. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

I really felt bad for the fat kid who got kicked out of his group for no reason. I was hoping karma would come around for that Gamboa douchebag. But he does have a good voice...at least I won't be voting for him if he makes the top 25.

So who's the hot chicks for this season? I like the 20 year old Colombian from California. Can't remember her name. Zurrillo I think.

14. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Casey Abrahams is by far my favorite. Jacob Lusk killed it last night too.

15. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

James Durbin...wow, I'm already tired of him going for that extremely high note that borderlines screeching during every song he sings. He reminds me of Adam Lambert just not as homosexual

I think it's safe to say Jaycee makes it pretty far. How can people not vote for such a genuinely nice, chubby 15 year old who can actually sing? And I can't see this season's judges, who are way more lenient, not putting him through to the live shows they don't want to be responsible for making that kid cry again

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You were the same person who thought the Super Bowl half time show was great, right?

17. Prince

Prince Member

it's still me... welcome to the darkside.

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

This is the first time in a long while that I'm actually watching Idol. I was definitely skeptical of the new judges and the fate of the show post-Simon, but I think there's a freshness to the show that has been missing for a long time. The judges seem to have great chemistry, they provide honest CONSTRUCTIVE feedback and things don't seem so tense.

For all of Simon's honesty, he could be mean just to be mean. I actually don't miss him at all now.

19. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I love it!!! I was stoked when I found out that Steven Tyler was gonna be the new judge because Aerosmith is my favorite band of all time. I was presently surprised this season, but I think it was do to Steven's personality. He really saved the show.

20. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

How do you get pastically surprised?