1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen or Scoot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Jul 14, 2023.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Its still WAAAAY to early but since we have seen them matchup, which player would you rather have on your team moving forward?

Not being bias, I would still take Amen. I said it prior to the draft, hieght and length matters. And although both players are athletic, Amen's ability stands out more so on both ends of the court.

Sure, Scoot's shotmaking is amazing at this point but Amen's ability to effect the game in so many ways is what I like best.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think Scoot will have a more immediate impact, but think Amen is going to be a superstar. So I take Amen.

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I would still take Scoot no doubt, but there’s a chance Amen grows into more of what we need, if that makes any sense. We have a lot of guys who can put the ball in the bucket. We need a two-way glue guy at point, and Amen definitely has a higher two-way ceiling.

Futron likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Scoot is going to be more highly touted earlier in their careers primarily because he will have all the opportunities in the world if Dame is gone while also just being more refined at the moment esp with his shot and handle.

Amen has to fight a lot more for his minutes so he just won't have the usage of Scoot. 3-5 years from now? I can see Amen having the natural talent to be better than Scoot.

#4 fchowd0311, Jul 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
    O-dawg, Futron, red5rocket and 2 others like this.
  5. clos4life

clos4life Member

I think if both stay healthy that Amen will have a longer career. Currently, Scoot is better but highest potential goes to Amen. I would have picked Scoot over Amen as he is more of a sure thing and immediate impact but with a shot Amen could turn out to be the better player.

Futron, randerson and mikenm268 like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Scoot is better now more polished offensively but has more injury prone history. Amen ceiling is higher and not far behind in talent

Futron, randerson and glimmertwins like this.
  8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Scoot is the more sure thing. Amen is the mystery box. The main thing is that when you can't shoot, teams will just ignore you off ball. And in order to mitigate ideally you want 4 shooters around you. Otherwise you run the issue of Ben Simmons or Westbrook with us before we traded away Capela. So it's much harder on team building if Amen never develop a workable shot. Scoot's reasonable floor is basically around FVV level.

I'd still take Scoot because I feel he more easily fits with other pieces, but I have to admit if Amen can develop a mid-range pull up and below average 3pter (like even as low as 30~32%) we got ourselves a superstar.

Futron, Easy, J Rock and 4 others like this.
  9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

All things equal, always choose size.

Futron, J Rock, HakeemOnlyFan and 2 others like this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Gotta admit: I thought this was an Amen or KPJ “Scoot” as backup PG thread.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not too late for OP to change the topic to something relevant :cool:

12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My answer hasn't really changed, I'd still take Scoot, but I'm really impressed with what I saw from Amen even though it was only one game. If Amen learns how to shoot it's easily Amen, but that's a big if. Not many players learn how to shoot. The list of "he'll be an allstar if he learns how to shoot" is like thousands of players long.

13. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Scoot is closer to a finished product than Amen is so right now, I'd take Scoot. I don't think we would have signed FVV had we drafted Scoot. Amen may wind up being the better player, who knows.

Futron and clos4life like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Amen, no doubt, he isn’t some 5’11” dude like Henderson is.

DD

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Scoot

clos4life likes this.
  16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Scoot reminds me of Kyrie offensively but with more leadership ability.. I think he'll attract big name FAs in the future to want to play with him , thus enabling him to elevate to superstar potential .. Amen will be great in his role on this team.. So I'd go with Scoot .

17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Yeah I was looking forward to two posters spreading their biased rhetoric for multiple pages.. I'm kinda disappointed. Could've been a 5 star thread

Corrosion and groovemachine like this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Now that I've had 7 days to reflect on each guy having played 22 minutes of summer league basketball last Friday, the time of judgment and conclusion is at hand.

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Scoot is more of a 'sure thing' - Amen is more of a gamble with a higher ceiling...

I'd still greatly prefer Scoot - but Amen is looking promising....

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Throw Cam's name in there.

Amen vs Cam Whitmore vs Scoot