1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

At least you finally comprehended.

Another interesting question is trade value. If you actually wanted to trade him, I would argue you might consider extending him now - because his trade value should be that of a max player, but if you want a max player back, his contract would only be a fraction.

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Wrong. His contract is identical every season if he signs this offseason or next.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Does another team rather trade for a player who is locked up or for a player who could walk?

4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Most likely they would rather have him as an RFA, helps with cap space. Same reason it’s stupid for the rockets to sign him now, the acquiring team would want the cap space as well

5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If that's the point he was trying to make then why bring up fans at all? Why compare the players to the fans? Seems weird to bring up that comparison if you aren't trying to make some kind of "they're just like you and me" point.

Anyway, we agree that us fans don't actually know what the players are doing and how hard they're working. I just wanted to throw it out there that it's totally reasonable for fans to be mad their favorite players aren't working hard over the summer. They should be held to a higher standard.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Sure, fans should be mad if the player's aren't working hard over the summer. I agree with that. But when you deduce that the player isn't working hard just because you saw him having fun at a beach, either you are stupid or you have bad intentions. Having a vacation and working hard can happen together and actually should happen that way.

There is also an additional factor for international players. They play away from home, not speaking their native tongue, not eating their own food, not hearing their language, not being able to make their jokes because it is not funny in the states etc. While this is true to some extent with any country, it is definitely a bigger factor with the meditterranean (god i'll never learn to spell this word) culture. It is not a coincidence that the stereotypical movies on this topic are usually made on Greeks or Italians. Going home and feeling the peace of being home is something very important. I personally know it very well, even as a graduate student in the US, I had difficulty dealing with this.

RudyTBag likes this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

I resent the implication that fans don't work as hard as the players during the off-season. This yard doesn't mow itself, y'know. :D

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

This is actually a very typical off-season thing to see on ClutchFans. It's not just Alpi who gets this treatment from the fans here. They said it last summer about Jalen Green. They said it every damn summer about Harden. They said Yao Ming shouldn't have played for the Chinese team in the off-season (hell, they STILL say that about Yao).

Rather than be irritated by it, you should take pride in the fact that ClutchFans is treating Alpi like one of the guys.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Lol at getting Embiid whose always injured in the playoffs. The Rockets must want a star whose usually playing on one leg. Absolutely stupid and why I don’t trust Stone.

10. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I am irritated by the behavior regardless of who it is directed at.

In comparison with Yao, Sengun can actually develop a lot in the Euros with the Turkish national team. Both the team and the competition is much better than what Yao has with chinese national team. Yao can hardly improve by playing with the Chinese team, still it shouldn't be something that is used against him.

And no thank you with the proudness. I could be proud if turkey developed a basketball program like serbia or slovenia but nothing with individual success or how a player is treated by some fans.

11. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

before udoka I could believe they could do something this stupid but I am sure Udoka won't let this kind of insanity go through.

cml750, RudyTBag and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

supposedly udoka is the one who wanted brooks so......plus coaches are basically always horrendous at talent evaluation/team building since it's a completely different skillset

13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

That was before Udoka actually spend time with Sengun. Ask udoka today if he wants to bring in brooks and start in front of Sengun. Or if he would trade sengun for brooks.

Some coaches are not good at coaching either. And some scouts, gms are terrible at evaluating talent, team building. A definite statement like yours is certainly inaccurate. Coaches might not be good at evaluating player talent coming into the league. I am sure they are pretty good at evaluating the talent of the players they coach for a year or two, unless you are an incompetent coach like Silas. That's a must, there is no way a coach can be successful without a good evaluation of the players in the current roster.

#13953 AlperenSengun, Apr 25, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    cml750, Rocketeer and RudyTBag like this.
  14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

why would brooks start over sengun? they play completely different positions. It just shows that udoka has demonstrated incompetence when it comes to talent evaluation/team building, so if he has a voice it's a concern

15. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I thought you were talking about brook lopez. Didn't read carefully.

I remember reading that Stone was obsessed with getting Brooks. Don't remember if it was a credible source or a random source.

Anyway, I don't think you can call a coach to demonstrate incompetence in team building/talent evaluation when he has 20+ wins compared to last season and 10 wins over the nba betting line. I would like to flip Brooks now, but he certainly has served his purpose this year. A criticism would be that he is overpaid, but players were not racing to join the rockets last summer for sure.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't know. I don't trust coaches for GM-ing. They are by nature shortsighted in team building because they can be fired within a season or two if they don't win.

That said, I think Udoka does value Sengun. And when he signed on, he knew he was going to need time to develop a very young team.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Udoka doesn't like Sengun, he loves Sengun...

"That's just who he is" - after absurd triple-doubles and 4th quarter-clutch touches...

Joel Embiid is going to be 30 next year, with the knees of a 40-year-old. Better be careful... Hakeem dropped off at 34, and that was Hakeem.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is also very simple to me....

• While we are not paid professionally to play ball, those who are have tight schedules.....

• So their vacation time is under peruse and very limited to what we can do if we had 1/10 or 2/20 of their millions.......
    • 98% they are in the gym or on some training court so I have nothing against 2% vacation.......(the odds are approx. drafted so it is roughly in the ball park)
    • Harden fans rarely complained about him partying in strip clubs it was mostly peeps who did not like him.
    • The rests and vacations are calculated time......which replenishes their motivation to give more during the season.
    • I think it is also something the Players Association agreed upon or at least a handshake deal.

#13958 daywalker02, Apr 25, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Harald thought of players that have zero motivation to get better and are there just for the paycheck as Pat Beverley pointed out.

Little motivation.

Sengün is not one of them......

20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I don't trust coaches for gm-ing, gm-s for gm-ing, coaches coaching. In each category there are a few that are really good. The rest of them are pretty bad and can keep their jobs (insert silas gif) or find another job in the league.

Besides valuing Sengun, I don't think Udoka would want to swap Embiid and Sengun. He seems like a guy that would like to stay with the same team, build something long run and would prefer to grow with the current core rather than bringing in someone like Embiid.

Easy likes this.