1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun Finalist for MIP Award 2023-2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Dominant, Apr 21, 2024.

?

Will Sengun win MIP for 2023-24?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If you improved defensively more than everyone expected and you improved offensively just about as much as everyone expected, then he improved a lot. He didn't basically have the exact season everyone expected him to have, which was your initial statement.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Idk that he improved offensively all that much, his turnovers went down which is good, his efficiency dropped which is bad. His overall impact was in line with expectation, he just did it differently. I expected a big jump on offense which did not happen, didn’t expect a big jump on defense which did

3. Holybats

Holybats Member

4. sefril

sefril Member

Coby for Jalen, who says no?

we need Moochie replacement :D

5. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Even as a Sengun fan, I fail to grasp the big step he took because he makes it look so easy. Here are some notable improvements from last year.
    He dismissed four potential concerns in his 3rd season at 21 years old:

1) Turnover prone: tov% down from 17 to 12.
    2) foul prone: per36 fouls down from 4.3 to 3.7
    3) no shot: 2.5 times more attempts from 8-16 ft range and 3 times more attempts from 16-24 ft range while shooting 6% better in both compared to last year. The 3 pt and ft% are slightly down. I think 3pt will come along more slowly and ft% will increase if he gets better on his conditioning.
    4) he is a liability on defense: He showed that he can be part of a successful nba defense, generally more mobile as well.

Other notable things:

He alse played like all-star and led the team till January.
    per36 assist numbers up from 4.8 to 5.5 (could/should have been better definitely)

albuster, joshuaao and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Well technically Senguns numbers are not any different. His usage went up and so did his numbers respectively. Do you see anything in Sengun's stats that transcend the fact he got more usage that Maxey's doesn't?

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

If he improved a little offensively and a lot defensively, that means he improved a lot. I'm not sure why you're sharing half your opinion at a time. You have stated you see that he improved a bit offensively and a lot defensively. You have also stated that he performed just about as expected. These two statements can't both be true.

8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He didn’t really improve offensively, his turnovers dropped but his efficiency dropped as well. I just would always expect a good young player to improve, and to me that’s not the spirit of the MIP award. If you disagree that’s fine. I would also not consider maxey for the same reason

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

This is besides the point and you're intentionally making it tiring. If if he improved but "not really" and he improved A LOT defensively, that's not the same as saying he had the season everyone was expecting.

Here you are btw admitting that his improvement in defense makes you view him much higher overall:

I don't know why you do this tbh when you know everything is transparent here. If you don't want to admit your statement that he's having the same season as expected is unreasonable, that's fine. You're right, we don't have to agree.

tagedieb likes this.
  10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya his defensive improvement gives me more hope long term he can develop into a star. I guess you’re looking for some “gotcha” semantics thing? His overall impact this past season was about what i expected, he just did it differently. Really impressed defensively, really unimpressed offensively.

albuster likes this.
  11. Abulbul

Abulbul New Member

Tyrese Maxey was 14-20 without Joel Embiid this season (from statmuse). Team success should not be a big case here.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Sure.

albuster and astrosrule like this.
  13. cml750

cml750 Member

I think they will give it to Maxey but Alpi is the most deserving one. As others have said he made huge strides on both ends of the court.

albuster, BamBam and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. NewAge

NewAge Member

Good points, but whoever watched the Rockets last year knew that Alpe was pretty damn good, too. he was just not as featured by the Silas regime and was made to defer to the KPJ/Green shtshow

There were other leapers this year: Cam Thomas, Kuminga, Jalen Johnson… It’s poorly defined award

harold bingo likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sengün and Amen are going to get ther Figurines.....

16. fattz

fattz Member

Our front office didn’t expect this. They were not bringing in Brook Lopez to come off the bench.

17. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

At first I thought he had no shot - White was a non factor last season and Maxey is turning into a legit star. But looking at the stats it is actually pretty close. And Sengun has been leading this team to basically twice as many wins as we had last year. In the end, it just depends on which storyline the voters find more appealing:

White: going from 9 to 19ppg (while playing 3d fiddle on his team)
    Maxey: Stepping in after Embiids injury and upping his game
    Sengun: becoming Senhub, improving his defense and leading his team to many more wins than past season

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If the poll read “Should Alpi win” then of course. He has virtually no chance in my opinion as jaded as the media is.

albuster and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. MystikArkitect

This one's going to be close. The TNT guys both gave it to Coby White. It's another one of those "depends on your criteria". Some are giving it to White because their criteria is that no one expected it out of him vs Sengun/Maxey who were already sort of on people's radar.

harold bingo likes this.
  20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I could see a reasonable argument for any of the three.

albuster and Strawberry Gum like this.