1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Bregman for MVP

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by joshuaao, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

It is hard for me to leave yulieski out of our top 6 rankings. I hope he stays hot for the playoffs.

2. vince

vince Member

This Astros team has one thing in common, and it’s plate discipline. Alvarez showed enough plate discipline during a long stretch in the minors into AAA ball. Which made it easier for the Astros to call him up.

But in order to maximize the potential you can’t just randomly send out the lineup, regardless of how good the guys are. You put the guys in a position to succeed, and the players are left to do their thing. Hinch has an ability to keep the guys loose, loyal, focused, etc... like joking with Bregman on his day off, and pulling Correa’s name out of the box first!

Shoot the Astros hire a slew of analytics and statisticians that all have input for the decision makers sort through the what-if’s...

But yeah having a whole 2/3 of your lineup with an OPS of .900 at this stage of the season is, AMAZING!!!! But it’s so because in addition to being talented they’ve been put in positions to maximize their talent. And that is what both parties trusting each other does.

Tucker should have been here for the ride this season, but he might not have bought into the philosophy just yet. It seems that he has the talent to be a mainstay, so he just needs to have the right mind frame. Altuve, Springer, Bregman, Gurriel, Correa all have a great attitude. And Alvarez has shown he has a solid game attitude too. I think Tuckers time is coming for him to entrench himself amongst the Regulars.

H-Town Info likes this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I know that seems low for Yuli, but everyone healthy who is he better than hitting wise in the top 6? I mean, if you are taking about a specific situation where contact is necessary he might be #2 behind Brantley, but overall quality for 162 games? Nah, he’s 7th best, which is nuts. Think about it, the top 6 guys have all been all stars except Álvarez, and if he’s ROY in a half season of play.

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

Trout
    AB
    AVG HR RBI SB OPS
    458 .293 43 101 11 1.081
    Bregman
    AB
    AVG HR RBI SB OPS
    481 .295 32 95 4 .985
    People have said Trout is a lock, I disagree. As of right now with Bregmans defense considered it’s Bregman all day.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You think Bregman's defense is that much better than Trout's to make Bregman a clear MVP favorite?

Htown Stros, arkoe and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Trout wins on reputation alone. Doesn't matter his team is what...24 games out of 1st place and 14.5 half out of the wild card.

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

Oh yes, a top 3b/ss with his numbers should put him over Trout no doubt but I am homerin too. ;)

8. Buck Turgidson

I'm not sure yet that Bregman is the MVP of this team.

Wulaw Horn, arkoe and solid like this.
  9. mick fry

mick fry Member

You’re going to have to get up early Buck put down the Crown. :)

10. Buck Turgidson

Don't worry about me, Skipper, I got **** done on Saturday so I could take manana off for the most part. It's good to be the hmfic.

mick fry likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Bregman has just about locked up his place in Houston's great pantheon of MVP runner ups.

desihooper and Wulaw Horn like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

AL Player of the Month

desihooper likes this.
  13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Correa could be the best player on this team if could just get healthy. I just hope he get gets healthy and comfortable by the playoffs.

15. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Don’t see how you can make that statement considering even when he has played he hasn’t been as good as Bregman or Altuve and now Alvarez for that matter...

16. SemisolidSnake

After tonight, Bregs is now slashing .297 .416 .575 .992. The absolute numbers between him and Trout are pretty similar. Bregs has played a few more games.

There is one matchup that was indeed an outlier. Bregman only has 75 Ks on the season. Trout had 118 Ks coming into tonight's game. That's probably not going to sway anyone, but it's an impressive differential, I thought.

mikol13, everyday eddie and mick fry like this.
  17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Good point also I repeat Bregman wins hands down on the defensive side.

18. SemisolidSnake

Totally agree, and that should not be lost on voters. The Astros have been positively starved for infielders because of injuries this year. Bregman has covered the left side of the infield wherever he was needed on any given day for most of the season. And still is. That's incredibly valuable to the team and just impressive in general. Yuli's done the same handling the corners of infield. Those guys should at the very least be co-MVPs of the team for the year.

Trout benefits by being the clear best player on his team and having a consistent season. On the Astros, you've had incredible play by multiple teammates with colder and hotter parts of the season. But the hot parts were scorching, which is why Yuli and Bregs have Players of the Month awards. And they were very valuable during those months.

Let's just get one of those guys a World Series MVP and sidestep this whole debate altogether.

mick fry likes this.
  19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Of course he has. He’s also the best defensive infielder on the team.

Unfortunately he just hasn’t been able to stay on the field long enough to find out.

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If it were 20 years ago, hell even 10 years ago, I think Bregman would be neck and neck with Trout. Probably the favorite due to team success being a huge factor once upon a time.

But WAR is a major tool these days, and Trout still has a significant advantage. Not to mention less protection. Wins are basically a miniscule factor these days, and Bregs will have to maintain his torrid stretch if he's even gonna make it a contest where team record can come into play.