1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Bregman for MVP

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by joshuaao, Aug 25, 2019.

1. msn

msn Member

I was a 10yo in the $1 mezzanine specials. I remember him writhing on the ground in unimaginable pain. I hated Mike Torres for years after that.

2. Buck Turgidson

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Were you guys going to to the dome when they had the basketball goal below left field? That was a chill spot that very few people knew about.

4. msn

msn Member

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. msn

msn Member

To your point, I didn't know about it. :cool:

King1 likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Not as a kid, but do you remember Lefty's Pub in the 90's?

BB goal had nothing on the live pitching demo that cost a dollar for 5 or so throws, like a carny game.

King1 likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Then I was 9
    I was officially 9 years, 3 months, 11 days old when that happened.

I was officially 11 years, 9 months, 19 days old when Orosco struck out Kevin Bass, and I cried like a b**** in the Astrodome, so did several friends.

Thon would have made the difference back then in a WS title, same with Cedeno in '80 (I know he was there but he wasn't the same guy, same with Joe Morgan)

King1 likes this.
  8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Haha. Couldn't remember the name. I've definitely had too mutch scotch but even sober not sure I would have gotten that without Google. I never played or remembered the pitching game.

I have a pretty good Barry Bonds story from there and it's funny because he's typically such a dick. We were talking a ton of trash to him and apparently during that (he wasn't responding at all) for whatever reason was paying attention to our basketball game. He referred to me as "whiteboy in the red shirt " and said if you dunk the next one I'll hook you up. I of course think that is complete bullshit but I tell my boy "let me go just to see what he does ". So, I dunk pretty simple (I'm 6'3" and have been since I was a high school freshman so it's honestly not that impressive but I guess it was to him) and he started laughing and said "hold up". He jogs to the dugout before the National Anthem and that's a wrap for me of course. Nothings going to happen. So afterwards he comes right to the fence (he's holding his game bat) and asks me what my name is. I tell him and he pulls out a black marker, signs his bat and motions for me to come get it in the crack when the third base line and Lefty's started (probably about a foot). To this day nobody really knows why I like Barry Bonds lol outside of the guys I used to go to games with. I got offered a lot of money for it by one of my frat brothers but I'd never sell it. Story behind it is way too cool

I have an Andruw Jones game bat and Rondell White(not sure if you remember him) but the stories aren't that cool. They were just good people and I asked. Wish I had asked a lot more players lol

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I have very few good memories from 83-84. 25-26 and my first marriage was breaking up. One of the few was buying the cheap seat and moving down to a better seat in the third inning. I'm glad I didn't go the day Thon was beaned. It might have pushed me over the edge. I still wince when I remember watching Cedeno bust up his ankle hustling to 1B.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Exactly in the middle of all qualified players is by definition mediocre. I'm okay with average. We aren't going to field a team full of all-stars every year. It's that he gets more at bats than better hitters on the team and we are going to pay 30 million bucks for the next two season. He's also average defensively this season. The pandemic, the hamstring injuries, and the dead balls have killed Bregman's production.

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm sorry you are going to have to waste that money.

Can you still make rent?

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's called opportunity cost.