1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Albert Belle's Arthritic Hip Forces Him Into Retirement

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by countingcrow, Mar 6, 2001.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Report: Orioles OF Albert Belle to retire

March 6, 2001
    FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida (Ticker) --

Albert Belle, whose temperament often overshadowed his considerable accomplishments on the field, reportedly has decided to retire.
    WBAL Radio in Baltimore, citing unnamed sources close to the situation, is reporting that by Thursday the 34-year-old outfielder will announce his retirement due to an arthritic right hip.

Baltimore Orioles director of public relations Bill Stetka did not confirm or deny the report and said no announcement has been scheduled.

Multiple media reports have circulated this week that Belle has grown increasingly frustrated by the injury, which prevents him from moving freely.
    Belle did not play in the field after Labor Day last season and after initially feeling better at the start of training camp this year, has not been able to participate in Grapefruit League action.

He actually passed the team's physical but was a scratch from his first scheduled start. On Monday, he revealed he would need "a miracle" to return to action and began to hint that his career was over.

Belle hit .281 with 103 RBI and 23 homers last season, ending an eight-year streak with at least 30 homers. He is entering the third year of a five-year, $65 million contract and will receive the remaining $39 million whether he plays or not.

Newspaper reports out of Baltimore claim the Orioles can recoup 70 percent of the $39 million through an insurance policy they hold on the mercurial slugger.
    Belle's consistency at the plate has been matched by equally boorish behavior off it, as he once earned the nickname "Mr. Freeze" for destroying a clubhouse thermostat. He has maintained a surly persona and often refuses to speak to reporters.

He has admitted to gambling on football games and once chased down child pranksters with his sport utility vehicle on Halloween. While with the Indians, Belle smashed the clubhouse stereo that belonged to teammate Kenny Lofton, threw a baseball at a Sports Illustrated photographer and unleashed an obscenity-laden tirade at NBC Sports reporter Hannah Storm during the 1995 World Series.

Belle is a career .295 hitter with 381 homers and 1,239 RBI in 12 seasons. He has 100 RBI in nine straight years -- the fourth longest streak in major league history -- and had at least 30 homers from 1992-99.

After working his way through the Cleveland Indians' system, he became a regular in 1991 and responded with 28 homers and 95 RBI in 123 games. He keyed one of the best offenses of the decade before signing with the Chicago White Sox in 1997.

Belle, who drove in more runs than any other player in the 1990s, enjoyed two strong seasons with Chicago before exercising an opt-out clause and signing with Baltimore in 1999.

One of the most durable players of the last 10 years, Belle had streaks of 392 and 232 straight games played.

------------------

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

My grandfather was the baseball scout who signed Albert Belle. Weird huh?

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

[​IMG]

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

5. Major

Major Member

He is entering the third year of a five-year, $65 million contract and will receive the remaining $39 million whether he plays or not.

What moron GM agreed to this?

------------------
    http://www.swirve.com ... more fun than a barrel full of monkeys and midgets.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Newspaper reports out of Baltimore claim the Orioles can recoup 70 percent of the $39 million through an insurance policy they hold on the mercurial slugger.

Good to know but that is beside the point.

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited March 07, 2001).]

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm the only one who actually likes Albert Belle I think.

If punk kids ever egg my house, I'm running them down in my SUV dammit.

------------------
    www.swirve.com...The reason Al Gore invented the internet.

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I don't like Albert Belle, he's a jerk. But I think it's sick to be happy that a guy suffered a dehabilitating injury like that. I hope he has some comfort in life, because he may have acted like a nutcase, but this shouldn't ever happy to any human being.

------------------
    Rocks2001 in disguise. . .

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Yes, you are. Maybe he should join the cast of SNL and then you can be the only one liking him there. He couldn't be any worse than Tina Fey.

Actually, I take that back. Joey Belle would be really funny on SNL. [​IMG]

------------------
    In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dude, Tina Fey's hilarious.

------------------
    www.swirve.com...The reason Al Gore invented the internet.

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

If this guy didn't have such an attitude problem, he would be a GREAT player. He was a very good one to begin with.

Also, who remembers that episode where Miles Simon showed up to his house ? That had to have been hilarious.

------------------
    "Hey Snoop Dog, I got my bi-yatch to make you some muffins."

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Belle has been the anti-Puckett
    By Dan Patrick

Albert Belle is slowly leaving the diamond. And nobody cares.
    I guess the Baltimore Orioles care because they owe Albert $39 million over the next three years. And right now that looks like an awful lot of money for very few -- if any -- runs, RBI and home runs. At this point, they may not even get any at bats for their money.

What will the O's do if Albert Belle's hip keeps him off the field?
    But that's just business. It's a write-off for some rich guy.

Still, a once-promising career is ending and I don't think Belle will get the send-off his numbers deserve.

An arthritic hip is the cause of Belle's demise, but the lack of fanfare is his own doing. I met him many years ago when he was known as Joey Belle. He approached me at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium. He was curious about why we were there. We had a 10-minute, off-camera chat.

I liked him. He obviously had it in him to be personable. Later on, when the media became the enemy, my feelings about him changed. Not in any big way. He just wasn't one of the good guys anymore.

Guys like Belle pose a small problem for the media. We can't be fans. My job is to report on an Orioles win with as much enthusiasm and professionalism as I report on a loss by the Ravens. Or the Reds or the Red Sox. They're all the same when you work on SportsCenter.

As far as personalities go, however, my job can't change my human nature. I have always tried to cheer for guys with good stories. And I try to make sure that I don't ever root against anyone. But let's be real. Belle was a surly and unresponsive player who cared little about what sportswriters and broadcasters needed to do their jobs.

As a result he was not well-liked. His troubles now will not engender the sympathy that other, more amiable players would receive.

When glaucoma took down Kirby Puckett, the baseball world openly mourned the loss of one of its best ambassadors.
    Think of when glaucoma took down Kirby Puckett. The baseball world openly mourned the loss of one of its best ambassadors. Column after column extolled Puck's wonderful personality and remarkable statistics and accomplishments. And this year Puckett will enter the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. His numbers were fine but not outstanding.

It would not have been an outrage if he had to wait a year or two for induction. But good will goes a long way.

Puckett's problems emerged in spring training just like Belle's have. There are no games of significance to report on, so anyone who wanted to say goodbye to Puckett did so. But Albert Belle, once the highest-paid player in the game -- who earned more in one year than the entire payroll of some teams -- will not have any tears shed for him by anyone who covers baseball.

You won't hear it very often, if at all, but the essential reaction to this story is a firm "good riddance."

http://espn.go.com/talent/danpatrick/s/2001/0307/1135935.html

------------------