1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AL Batting Title Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Xercules, Sep 14, 2014.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

I remember how David Robinson got the scoring title. I remember how Westbrook got his triple double. I remember Ricky Davis. We all remember who were grooved fastballs at the all star game. People will remember that Altuve sat to get his title. It will be discussed whenever someone thinks about sitting in future years. The men who risk it all are revered for taking the title if they get it the right way. Those who sit, will also be remembered for sitting. Winning the title on the field or not, will stick to you.

Win it on the field.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

George Brett was gifted a batting title and nobody talks about it. I don't remember Westbrook's Triple Double. I remember Davis, but didn't the NBA deny him? I know the NBA denied Olajuwon on a potential quadruple double.

Sitting out the final 4 games would be talked about negatively, though forgotten about by most. Taking off a game next series to help maintain lead? Nobody would care.

3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This. If you sit him the first game of the Met's series, it may be a headline for a half-day but that is it. You could even use him as a PH later in the game for 1 AB.

He would still be playing the last game of the season and that is all people will remember.

4. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Altuve already has 648 AB's... To be honest, it seems like you are not familiar with baseball.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

It sounds like you are less familiar with the media. but it comes with time and experience. They want a story. They don't have one right now. Altuve sits, they got a story to run with.

6. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

who is "they"?

no one is out to delegitimize Altuve's batting title, especially considering he has 650+ AB's. lol.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Altuve has 100 more at bats than Martinez so anyone saying it's not legit is just off no matter if Altuve sits the rest of the year. What's more amazing to me than the betting average and leading the league in steals though is that Altuve is 3rd in the league in doubles. That's nuts.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If Altuve were to shut it down, there would be no real room to complain. As others have stated he will still end up with way more PA than Martinez.

But unlike you guys I'm just not as concerned, if Altuve were to play all 3 games and go 1-12, he would still be hitting .338. Martinez would basically have to hit .500 over his final 4, which is certainly possible, but not likely.

We have an off day, the Tigers play today. If Altuve has an 0-fer Friday, and Matinez has closed maybe you sit him Saturday, possibly Sunday. But I don't think it will come to that.

9. juicystream

The media might run with it for a very short time. Media has NFL & MLB playoffs to run with.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In addition, 400+ of Martinez's at bats have come as a DH. Altuve actually has to play 2B. It may be argued that playing the field keeps one better warmed up to bat, but it is also more wear and tear on the body than Dh'ing most of the year.

Regardless of how Altuve (sits or plays) wins the batting championship, he has earned it.

11. juicystream

Yeah, I'm not worried.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If Altuve were batting exactly .400 coming into the last series and already had enough at bats to qualify would you or the media complain if they sat him the rest of the season?

Didn't think so.

Same situation here except the stakes aren't as high.

13. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

LOL at the media "running with a story" on Jose Altuve.

14. bobrek

It would be a big story considering the last player to hit .400 (Ted Williams) chose to play a double header the last day of the season when sitting out would have preserved the .400 season. He went 6-8 and hit .406 for the year. Due to that situation, it would be a huge media deal if any player sat out the last game of the season sitting on a .400 average.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Not the same thing; I'm not suggesting a player has to play all 162 games but that the competition extends 162 games. So the idea that Altuve has "earned" the batting title, let's close up shop and call it day - when there are 4-5 games remaining and someone is chasing him - is rather silly. Do VMart's final ABs not count?

I don't know the circumstance surrounding Madlock's title in '81; I do see that they sat him 3 of the final 4 games - and if they did it to preserve his lead, I find it cowardly.

By nearly 40 points.

And finished behind Alex Rodriguez. Neither he nor Brett sat to preserve their batting averages, btw.

Again, players shouldn't be punished for missing games. Purposefully missing games to ensure you've won a batting title, however, has a hollow feel to it, IMO.

The more games/plate appearences also rings hollow because both he and VMart have played enough to qualify; playing fewer games doesn't disqualify VMart.

They award titles at the end of 162 games; to purposefully end Altuve's season at 158... again, feels kind of cheap to me. I hope he goes out and earns it.

16. bobrek

That being said, assume the Astros clinched the Division title yesterday and their playoff position was sealed. With the grueling schedule Altuve has participated in, would it be fair to sit him for three games to rest him for the playoffs, thus also preserving his average?

17. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

NOOOOO!!! He must have MOAR AT-BATS. Cowardly Altuve probably stops playing baseball at 162 games, like the rest of his cowardly teammates. :eek:

Simply put, Altuve qualifies for the batting title and that's enough for me. If he sits the remainder of the games it doesn't taint a thing. As stated above it's highly unlikely Altuve is caught even if the other guy bats .500 over the remaining games. If to qualify you had to play all 162 games or all games in which you are able to make a plate appearance then this would be a different conversation.

18. Xercules

Xercules Member

V-Mart 2-3 so far tonight with 1 HR. Average at .336.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

3-4. .337.

panic time, folks.

20. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

More like... Time to shut down Altuve and tell VMart: "Come & get it!".