1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Airline Safety vs. Convenience

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TL, Oct 2, 2001.

Tags:
  1. TL

TL Contributing Member

Has anyone out there travelled a lot since the attacks? I'm interested in hearing some viewpoints.

I've gotten on about 6 flights since the attacks, and up until the last one, I was very surprised about the minimal delays. The only noticeable difference is that I have to check my bag (b/c of my razor) and I have to flash my ID a few extra times. At first, I couldn't decide whether I was pleased or concerned. On the one hand it was nice to still be able to travel without any serious delays. On the other hand, I felt no safer getting on the planes.

I know other security measures have been implemented (air marshalls, passenger list checks, extra luggage inspections, etc.), but the two mentioned in the above paragraph are the only noticeable ones to the traveller.

Then it all changed. This past weekend, apparently the nation decided they were comfortable flying again. All of a sudden, the airports were jam-packed with people and the seemingly pointless security measures slowed everything down to a crawl. In order for everyone to clear security to get to the gates (i.e. have a rent-a-cop match your ID and boarding pass), I had to wait in line for what seemed like an eternity.

I had an 8:30 am flight. It was scheduled to arrive at just before 11 am. In order to make that flight, though, I had to get to the airport and stand in multiple lines from 6 to 8:30. AND, I get to use the first class check-in lines! I can't imagine how miserable it is for the occasional traveller!! A 2.5 hour commute just turned into a 5 hour commute.

I wouldn't complain at all - in fact, I'd be happy to deal with this - if the delays made me safer. BUT THEY DON'T!!! I used fake IDs when I was underaged getting into bars! And I'm sure some of those bouncers were better trained at spotting fakes than the rent-a-cops. I can't carry my shaving kit onto the plane, but I can still slip through the metal detector with a blade in my pocket! What's the point?

I'm so frustrated with the airlines. I only see this getting worse. Load factors are still not up near pre-attack levels. As we continue to add more people into the mix, the lines will get even longer. What am I getting for all these delays? How are they making me safer?

Does anyone out there work or have some insight into the airline industry? What's the deal?

2. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

It looks like all domestic and international flights from Australia will have random guards armed with guns on them. Seeing as I hardly ever fly, it doesn't worry me that much.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Looks like all those billions of dollars just given to the airlines are doing a lot of good. Did anyone hear the 1 person that voted against that? He made some good points. Saw him on the O'Reilly Factor.