1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Against Russ

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pizza_Da_Hut, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Amazing article by the Ringer. Definitely worth the read.

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-play...-westbrook-oklahoma-city-thunder-264563760c34

Here's a small snippet...

Edit: another great snippet.
    As always, lock if posted.

Tha_Dude, Yung-T, TracywtFacy and 8 others like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

another good passage:

good article, thanks for posting OP

Yung-T, da_juice and BigMaloe like this.
  3. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Lol thanks! The rest of the media acts like we are some kind of super team. Until we hit next round then they will all pick against us

Tha_Dude likes this.
  4. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

"The stakes of opposing Russ have heightened with every passing year, the volubility of his cult ever more fervid. To root for Russ is to define oneself: safety off, blinders on. Russ’s fans see themselves as pitched in a battle against a relentless, unconquerable machine — I know because I work with dozens of them. The Ringer is a pro-Russ workplace, through and through. On every play, Russ is fighting for his life, and theirs — an underdog whose circumstances have made his messy, manic, breathtaking, narcissistic style of play as controversial as it is charismatic."

And that's why he's going to be MVP.

Ramo$e and Yung-T like this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Not every guy can be a number one. There is validity to the argument that Russ' style can negatively impact his team . One man can only take you so far .

But this is not neccesarily and indictment on Russ. Different coaching staffs and teamates have failed to maximize his otherworldly talent and athleticism . Some of it is on Russ, some on the people that developed and coach him .

It's sometimes easier to analyze From the outside looking in and with hindsight. Furthermore , there's a paradox between always trusting the coach and trusting your gut. We want athletes to think , but only so much as instinct is faster .

Russ' failure to win a title is as much on the OKC organization as it is on him . Russ being Russ produces great results 90 percent of the time ... And even though the 10 percent it might not work is critical , it's a monumental effort to reshape yourself in certain scenarios . It has to be done collaboratively. If Russ is at fault for his tunnel vision and incredibly stubbornness, then the team and organization are also at fault for enabling him .

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Russ being Russ produces great results...for Russ, not the team.

When Westbrick shoots 40 times for 30 pts thats just hurting his team. He has a lot of dumb fans the same as Iverson had a lot of fans, except Westbrick is even more shameless than Iverson, Iverson never had this high of a usage rate. He's my least favorite star in the NBA and I'm so happy okc shipped harden out instead of him to us.

Tha_Dude, Yung-T and Pen15clubber like this.
  7. da_juice

da_juice Member

This is a good article. It kills me too because the average fan eats up his lies. Much like a certain presidential candidate played off of mistrust of the media; Westbrook doesn't just lie he makes it seem like the media is actively making **** up (which isn't always wrong). So when he gets called out, fans side with him.

FanSince93 likes this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

pipdagimp's article:

At the end of the day, and typically at the end of games, he is, in a word, an idiot. Hard to win with idiots.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  9. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Nailed it. I've been saying this all along, Westbrook's game and persona is too reminiscent of Iverson's. The cornrows, tattoos, and XXXL shirts replaced by nerd glasses, ripped skinny jeans, and crazy outfits. Yet, underneath the game is the same; high octane, relentless, shoot-first-ask-questions-later.

roslolian and FanSince93 like this.
  10. Pizza_Da_Hut

I think the biggest difference between the two is that Russ would be more receptive to good coaching. Instead, the thunder have surrounded him with player-friendly coaches instead of one with a system. AI on the other hand, he wasn't about to be coached.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Westbrick is really big among casual fans that just want to see flashy play.....not so much among those that know enough to realize how often he hurts his team

Tha_Dude, Yung-T and Pen15clubber like this.
  12. Pizza_Da_Hut

I think that's a hard thing to actually see, especially when the likes of ESPN ram it down your throat that Russ is Jesus with a basketball. Guys, didn't you just get done telling me how great Curry was?

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

WB is a prime example of double-edge sword. When he is on, there's no stopping him. When's he's off, he kills your team.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've said it before. Westbrook is Iverson on steroid.

ghettocheeze and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Westbrook has to play like this because Westbrook has no help.

Westbrook has no help because Westbrook has to play like this.

Tha_Dude, pirc1, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He had help and played like this - meaning not smart and disciplined and a bit out of control in 4th quarters.

He's the exact same player just with highest ever usage.

Yung-T and Pen15clubber like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe at the start? But the thing is the Iverson system at least produced a finals appearance because Iverson invites contact and actively tries to go to the ft every play. Iverson has 8.9 ftas to Westbrick's 7.8...and thats with Westbrick breaking the usage record.

Tha_Dude and Yung-T like this.
  18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Where are getting 7.8 from? Westbrook is 10+ on ftas this year.

19. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

TO be honest, you take russ off the thunder team they are lottery bound, may not even win 25 games in regular season, he does help his team, not hurting them, it's just the way he plays is not enough to push this OKC team to the top, i don't know if there might be a another way that russ can help this team more, but if he continues this style they can say goodbye to any post season success or championship as long as he is there, it's not a good way to play a team sport and hoping for success

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He does both. He helps them be good enough to make the playoffs and then is the reason they are the worst team in the playoffs.

It's obvious that there's a way he can help his team more, the Thunder were killing the Rockets when Russ was being a facilitator and getting his teammates easy baskets.....but that doesn't fill up the stat sheet like he wants so he goes full Westbrick mode in the 4th ensuring his team has no chance to win.

If he cared anywhere near as much about team success as he does about individual success, the Thunder are a drastically better team.

Tha_Dude likes this.