1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Afraid to start this thread, hopefully someone else will

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Another Brother, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Pimphand24

Pimphand24 Member

There are certainly other reasons an American can root against the USA Basketball team, as Whitlock pointed out, (style of play, rooting for the underdogs, etc) but I believe that the borderline-racism is a big factor, if not the greatest factor. I believe there is some miscommunication in this article between Whitlock and some readers: he uses the word racism differently than in a dictionary. Racism has to do with discrimination based on physical characteristics such as color of skin.. the "racism" Whitlock is talking about it is better described as a "cultural prejudice" or "cultural discrimination" that is associated with the African American race.
    One, we're happy with these black players as long as they win. Nobody complained that much about the style of play as long as they win. And in fact, we love this individualistic style of play. Let's just say, America will always prefer watching the Lakers over the Pistons... I think that sums it up best. (Or Heat over Pistons)
    The style of play wasn't a problem until we started losing. So why the backlash on this team? America loves the underdog? more so than patriotism? Some people may be like that, but I am pretty sure MOST people do not root against the USA Softball Team despite them being hands down favorite. And we don't root against our other "hands down" favorites in other events. So let's throw out the style of play, and underdog argument as significant reasons for the backlash. (I also think Whitlock is NOT talking about racism towards Team USA amongst big basketball fans, but rather amongst Americans who do not ordinarily watch basketball and don't really know basketball or styles of play.) So let's throw those out and discern what Whitlock was saying.
    The reason Whitlock was suggesting, was not a racism against skin color, but about a cultural prejudice.
    American suburbanites love Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Ray Allen, Tim Duncan and USED TO love Kobe Bryant (before the rape accusation and tats).... these guys didn't sport the tattoos, the fancy jewelry, the urban slang... why don't we say it? These guys didn't resemble the stereotypical N****.... Suburbanites RELATE to them more because they are more like them. They don't want to see the urban culture: the stereotypical "thug" who "talks brashly about himself," wears the "bling bling," cornrows, and speaks "ebonics."

I'm not suggesting this about you MadMax, because you are rooting for the USA team. And you're probably even thinking, "Who the hell would root against their own country?" And I believe, although it was a good article, Whitlock did not explain his position so well and there it's very easy to misinterpret what he was trying to say. He didn't spend enough time fleshing out his position before making accusations. (But this is Page 2 of espn.com i guess, not exactly Wall Street Journal)
    Yes, we can come up with all sorts of possible reasons why someone would root against their own country. But to tell the truth, there ARE many Americans rooting against them.
    (The following is a true story and I'm not making it up so to support my argument) I saw it myself when I went to a restaurant in the Memorial area while a game was on and I'm pretty sure these soccer moms were not rooting against USA because they LOVE underdogs, or because they were big enthusiasts of team basketball. No, I heard them say it themselves, they wanted the other teams to basically punish them for being too cocky and lazy... and teach them a bit of humilty. But honestly, who on that team, other than Carmelo, has shown a lack of humility? These guys were the ones who went over there while everyone else dropped out. These guys are sacrificing not only their free time, but risking injury, and fatigue in the upcoming season... It's all self-sacrifice being shown by them. This was said by Lamar Odom recently: "In '92, everyone wanted the Dream Team to win, including the teams they played against," says Lamar Odom. "Everyone wants to see us humbled. There's tension out there."
    Even if you want to deny what Whitlock is saying, there is no denying that blacks are perceiving this, so it's a problem we have to confront no matter what.

Once again, this is the negative bias being shown. I'm not saying most white Americans are like this, but most Americans rooting AGAINST the basketball team ARE like what Whitlock described.
    It's a culture clash, between white culture and black culture and that's the "borderline racism" that Whitlock is talking about. The truth is, tattoos are fashionable in African American culture today. The urban slang is fashionable, speaking assertively is encouraged as well. What's the problem with all these? Nothing at all, except whites describe the slang as ebonics, and describe speaking assertively and the big jewelery as being conceded or egotistic and cocky, the tattoos and cornrows as thuggery etc... they see all these values as negative. Since blacks are the one's expressing this culture and these values, it undoubtedly becomes a race issue as well. I don't know why, but white America HATES this culture with a passion. So once the team starts losing, they jumped on the problems they see, but really it's a problem of a culture clash.
    Why do these culture differences have to be a problem? Why must we see other people's values in a negative light? Must there be a winner and a loser; one group that gives in and conforms to the other? Or can it be possible that different cultures can co-exist while maintaining their distinctiveness? This remains to be the problem, and in the melting-pot we live in, it demands an answer because ignoring it will not, and has not made it go away.

Fin

(I did not proofread, so I apologize for any generalizations or grammatical errors I make)

2. Pimphand24

Pimphand24 Member

Apparently this has become a D&D topic :(

3. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Francis started getting more and more criticism from the fans during his 3rd year. As his 4th and 5th season were completed people about had enough of his play. So, it wasn't like he wasn't getting credit for wins early on. Yao joining the team just magnified Francis's flaws that much more.

Now, while SF was able to carry a team to 40+ wins (minus his migraine season) it was clear to most people (not you) that he helped win as many games as he helped lose games. This is something that you refuse to acknowledge. This is the byproduct of a turnover prone PG and his ISO-happy shooting. I know you like to compare Hakeem to Francis a lot. And you like to say, "Hakeem got credit for wins and losses, but Francis only got blamed for the losses..." Well, like I said. It wasn't that way SF's first two years. There were plenty of fans that were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt (more time). Well, time ran out. And it was more evident that he wasn't going to get better. I mean, it's not like he's getting quicker or smarter. And that was a bad sign. A trade was in order (Akeem got more time because he lead his team to the Finals after two years).

So, as far as being "biased." Not sure what you mean? Yes, I'm "biased" against turnover prone PG(Francis), choking 1st basemen(Bagwell), and soft centers(Yao). Yeah, and? At least I explain my position and why.

You are biased in favor of ONE PLAYER, regardless of what he does. Francis could kick your dog and you'd still love the guy. Now, that's what I call BIASED and BLIND!

biased
    adj 1: favoring ONE person or side over another; "a biased account
    of the trial"; "a decision that was partial to the
    defendant" [syn: colored, coloured, ONE-sided, slanted]
    2: excessively devoted to ONE faction [syn: one-sided]

#83 DavidS, Aug 26, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

pimp --

you're right. i tend to discount the racism factor because i don't come from that mindset...it's hard for me to understand. but, unfortunately, i'm learning more and more about it everyday. thankful that i had parents who made that crap clear to me.

frankly...even if it isn't real...even if it's just perception in this instance...isn't it sad that we've created an environment that fosters those fears so readily?

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

People always bring race into discussions.

I would hardly think anyone is rooting against the US basketball team because of their race.

I think it is more that people are dissappointed in the style of play.

Sure, there are some that will root against black players, but I tend to think those people are in a very small minority.

I just can't bring myself to root against the USA...I want them to win at everything, and for those of you who have been rooting against AI, I have seen some serious maturation going on with him these last few years.

His interviews are all about playing the "right way" Marbury too....

I think the NBA put this team together to make a point to TEACH the young players how to play as a team.

They are learning a hard lesson, that may not have been learned in the NBA as quickly.

A shrewd move by the USOC selection committee...in fact if Steve Francis was on the team, I think he would have gotten a lot better too.

Nothing humbles people more than getting out smarted, and the US team was getting out smarted a lot.....now Larry Brown has them breaking down the zone and passing the ball.

And that is EXACTLY what David Stern wanted the players to learn.

IMHO.

DD

6. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

That's your take and you are welcome to it.

Mine is that the team was selected based on marketing the US's *up and coming* stars. I'll bet next time the team composition is much different.

7. DaDakota

Pipe,

That certainly makes sense too.

Either way, I think the players are getting a mountain of knowledge in how team basketball is played, and it will only benefit all of them.

DD

8. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

That's because of who you are DD and who MadMax is. You don't get it and it's because of the way you were raised.

Kudos to your parents, and much respect to you.:)

9. DaDakota

Actually AB, my parents were moderatly discriminatory.

I find it adhorent. Even to this day my father will tell an innappropriate joke that makes me cringe.

I told him it makes me uncomfortable to hear that kind of talk, so he respects my opinion and keeps it away from me.

My mom, well she passed away last year, not really a racist, but still uncomfortable around people of color.

We had many discussions about that, but I think being raised in an era where Blacks and Whites did not share a bathroom or a water fountain left a mark.

As for our generation, racism is still there, but it is getting much less prevelant.

Thank god !!!

Now if we could just quash that religion thingy.....

:)

DD

PS. By the way AB, what ever happened to us hooking up when you were in Austin. I never heard from you......SACRILIDGE !!

10. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Respect nevertheless...:)