1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

advice needed for new baby

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sw847, Jan 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. sw847

sw847 Member

Hey guys, my wife is 39 weeks pregnant and is scheduled to give birth in the coming weeks.

Some have advised me to store my baby's umbilical cord while others have said it is a waste of time and money.

Was hoping to get some advice from experienced fathers and mothers on the matter.

Is it worth the time and money to store the umblilical cord?

1 person likes this.
  2. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

likewise...I have 0 knowledge of this subject. Even though I'm an uncle 20 times over, I've never heard of this "umbilical cord" issue.

I'm going to error on the side of simplicity. Let the mother (your wife) decide.

4. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

dont shake the baby

1 person likes this.
  5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

39 weeks???!!?!?!?! :eek:

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Any natural childbirth expert will tell you that the core blood is very useful for newborns, and it is... Except even if you don't want to bank (store) it, most doctors don't care and cut the umbilical cord immediately thus not allowing the baby to benefit from the cord blood anyway.

So this depends on how natural a childbirth you want. If natural, then the best choice is to have a very specific birth plan that says you want to WAIT to cut the umbilical cord till its necessary - could be 10 minutes. But you have to let the doctor know and the nurses etc. good luck with that.

If you don't care much about that part of the birth then sure banking is a nice insurance policy. But like all insurance it's expensive and really only comes in handy for the rare unlikely emergency.

But then if that emergency happens to your kid....

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

waste of money

we donated it though so others might could benefit

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Idk. When I heard the cost, I opted against doing it. Who knows if it would come in handy.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

No experience in this, but may I suggest the name "Jontro" for your child?

10. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

We chose not to do it.

11. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

This.

12. VanityHalfBlack

Feed the umbilical cord to Freddy!!!!

[​IMG]

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

My wife is pregnant, and from the research I've done it's very rare that the baby can even use the cord blood if there is some type of emergency. We're opting not to do it.

14. Dei

Dei Member

What does a placenta taste like?

15. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Beware if you are anywhere around home plate when the baby is being delivered. There are unspeakable things that your mind will never be able to flush away that occur there. Just a warning.

We did not do this (blood banking) with any of my three kids. We did do the additional Down Syndrome testing and such...and I suspect that if any of the tests came up quirky that my wife's OB might've suggested doing so. I suspect that if the pregnancy has been normal and there are no apparent possibly complications then it might be ok to not keep the cord blood. Congrats and good luck. As I've said before, kids are the best toy you can ever have in life. Hug him/her every day.

And...I'm also in for the name Jontro!

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Unless you're prepared to spend the thousands of dollars that you'll need for the storage and potential use of the cord blood and tissue (Which is still under development) I don't suggest it. This is bleeding edge technology that hasn't been tested of refined. I don't see solid advances made for at least 10-15 years and even when it's ready it will cost thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars to implement.

17. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

18. Dei

Dei Member

What's the cord going to be potentially used for?

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Stem cell research for all kinds of potential aplications. The theory is that you could store the blood and eventually it could be used for helping heal your child if he ever got sick of lost a limb or developed a severe mental disorder.

It's Sci-Fi now but it could be reality in 10 years....for a nominal fee of course.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I will echo Swoly's emoticons here. She is 39 weeks pregnant and due to give birth in the coming weeks? Is 39 a typo?

Anyway, good luck to you, your wife and new baby.