1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Advice from bankers, or people w/ exp. w/ small business loans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ToyCen428, Aug 15, 2011.

1. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

I'm trying to get a loan of $150k for a small business. The lady I'm buying from, doesn't believe I'll get the loan. I'm 26 years old, no real assets. I'm trying to get my brother to co-sign for me who owns a couple of businesses and houses in North Carolina.

How little of a chance will I have?

Isn't everyone (bankers, government) pushing for people to open up more businesses?

My seller told me, I'd need about $90,000 in assets to qualify for a $150,000 loan. Sound about right?

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

You may have got a loan 5 years ago...not today. You probably need $50,000 liquid cash to get that kind of small business loan in this economy plus other assets.

3. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

What if I have a co-signed who has what you just said?

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

On top of that you will likely need experience in the business that you are buying.

Will the seller owner finance?

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Question about having your brother co-sign: Are you prepared to destroy your relationship with your brother? If you business fails, and the banks come after you for their money, they will go after your brother just as hard. He will be on the hook, legally, for anything you do that fails.

You may have the best intentions in the world, and brotherly love may seem like it trumps all, but if your business ruins his financial stability and credit, can you live with it? Can he? You say your brother already has businesses, if your business fails and he is unable to get credit and his businesses fail, how would your relationship turn out?

If your brother co-signs he is taking all of the risk with no reward.

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

do you have anything ongoing in terms of a business?

How do you intend to repay the loan? What turn around time are you looking at?

How many people are willing to sign their name on to your loan?

If you don't have much, and even with a great business plan, it will come down to the credit of the signers and like you mention assets...

Is this the mexican restaurant?

7. YaosDirtyStache

Without wasting 4 yrs of grueling business school and finance classes on the likes of you...

In short your chances are close to 0. Reason being, your lack of assets (Liquid or holdings), lack of experience, tightened credit, and the fact you are buying a business that may not earn enough for YOU personally to pay back the loan.

Theres a difference on keeping the lights on, and keeping your bills paid.

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds to me like perhaps you should be a little bit more patient ToyCen. Perhaps this is not the time for you to invest so much money in something if you don't have credit, assets, etc to get a loan on your own. I am not saying your business is going to fail and perhaps you have a solid strategy right now, but perhaps it is best to wait, even if you are going to miss out on a good deal.

You are only 26 and as long as you come up with a solid financial plan to be in a better position a few years down the road, it might be better just to wait. I do believe that you have to take risks in life, but I also believe you better have some solid cushion to fall back on if you fall flat on your face.

Best of luck.

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Just ask DD for a loan, he seems to have a lot of faith in you.....

3 people like this.
  11. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

coffee shop..... www.coffeebeanery.com

to give you the jist, the owner paid $450k for the business 3 years ago. She's a rich realtor who bought this for her daughter to run. Her daughter ran it for a year, was married to a guy in the Navy, and he got transferred to California. Her mother's been running the coffee shop for 2 years. Back in January she was hospitalized for high blood pressure. I've physically been to her house and seen the kind of shape she is in and believe me, she doesn't NEED the money.

I truly believe her story as it is the reason she is selling it and for cheap. She paid $450k, wants to sell it for $150k, she needs $100k by 9/15/11, then $2,500 a month for 20 months (until balance is paid)

I've seen her financial sheets. $17,000 monthly expenses (she's had to hire alot of new employees to run the shop, she can only physically work 6 hours a week) and her income in the slow months is around $21,000. In the winter time, she does upwards of $30,000. She opens at 6am closes at 6pm. She declined her alcohol license to sell wine. I think these 2 key points can be modified to bring her alot more income. She's right down the street from the College of William and Mary so there's alot of room for improvement.

12. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

You must mean revenue, not income.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They don't already have enough coffee shops in Roswell?

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

How much net profit did the business bring in for 2008, 2009, and 2010?
    How much was it making when she bought the store for 450k :eek:?
    How is it doing for the first half of 2011?
    Have you seen tax returns?
    Do you know if the expenses are accurate?
    Has your accountant seen the P&L statements and tax returns?
    Does she run it as an LLC or sole proprietorship?
    How much in assets are you buying?
    How much goodwill are you buying?
    What kind of earnings multiple do these types of franchises normally sell for?
    Do you have any experience in the coffee/restaurant business?
    How much will it cost you to transfer the franchise?
    Will you have to go franchisee training?
    How much are the franchise royalty fees?
    Will you be forced to make any upgrades to the store upon transfer?
    How much longer does the franchise license run for?
    How much longer is the lease going to run?
    Are the landlords willing to extend the lease upon transfer?
    How much would it cost you to get an alcohol license?
    Are you looking to buy the store to buy a job (ex. working 12 hours a day so you have low payroll costs)? or are you looking to try hire a manager to be able to run this store so you can look to expand into other stores? (E-Myths revisited would be a good book for you to read)
    How are you going to organize your business? LLC? C-Corp? S-corp? Sole proprietorship?

There are a ton of other questions to ask, but why is she selling? If she isn't really working at the store and she already has enough employees to be an absentee owner and still have the store produce a good amount of cash....then why is she selling this cheap?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sounds like you have the makings for a small biz loan, take those balance sheets and revenue stream numbers to a bank to see what they say.

Also, the government sometimes gives SBL's...check there too.

DD

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Or tell her you will give her $200k if she lets you pay it off over 10 years....

:)

DD

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

pretty much all of this time 100.

The big thing is see her taxes and bank statements. You can to see in and out and what is going on and what her incoming merchant and cash taken in. This should all be documented. This is all a must.

If the business checks out perhaps a bank might go for it.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Toycen, you're only 26? I always assumed you were a middle-aged man.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm sure she can be convinced.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

didnt want to make a new thread so posting here.... im about to go to the bank, i need a $10k loan today. Yesterday I got approved for one, and when i told them the reason (the truth) they backed out.

Reason is, $10k is trust money so the seller can trust I intend to purchase her business. The agreement is, I'll "train" for the business for the month of September and if I don't want it, I get my $10k back.

So from my point of view, its a safe risk for banks. But alot of them don't want to lend anything that has to do with a business.

So my question is, what's a good reason I can tell them I need the money so they will approve the loan?

1 person likes this.