1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Advice for proper job interview attire

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GATER, Aug 13, 2003.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That's so weird, I thought the same thing when I glanced at the title the first time.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Excellent advice!

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Always wear a suit.

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Actually, if you interview wearing a suit and tie and nobody in their office ever wears a suit and tie, it will make it look like you know nothing about the company.

You need to swing by and see what everybody is wearing and dress the best you possibly can withen those confines.

I had a business prof who told a story how he interviewed at a tech company and he showed up to the interview with a suit. They guy interviewing him was in a t-shirt and jeans. He did not get the job because he "wouldn't fit it." You want to match what they wear.

That being said...even if they don't wear ties...wear a tie.

EVERY button on your shirt should be buttoned. Collar buttons, BOTH buttons on the cuffs if there are two. The only way to make it look right is to wear a tie (unless you wear a dress shirt without collar bottons).

Never let a white t-shirt poke out of the top of your dress shirt. Thus, wear a tie and botton to the top.

Don't wear a jacket if NOBODY else in the office is wearing a jacket. If a couple of people are wearing blazers, go ahead and wear one...it doesn't need to break the bank..just go to Dillard's and buy a decent navy blue or black. They can usually have them fitted in a day or two. If not, go to a tailor and pay to have it done sooner.

Make sure any leather you wear matches. No brown belt, black shoes. This includes any leather you might have on a watch band. Make sure any jewelry you wear matches. No gold rings with silver belt buckle. All gold or all silver.

Don't wear a plastic watch (you'd be surprised). In fact, wear the most classic designed looking watch you own.

This might sound stupid, but GROOM yourself. Trim your fingernails. Wear good deoderant and anti-perspirant. (don't want to have pit stains) SHAVE. Don't wear cologne, but use a good smelling shaving cream or after shave that has a clean smell to it, but is not overpowering.

Don't have wet, straight out of the shower hair. You don't want to look like you just rolled out of bed into their office with a shower inbetween. Use a blow dryer. Don't get a haircut the day before...do it at least 4-5 days before...you don't want the just cut look. You want them to think that you have lots of interviews and you didn't just get a haircut only for them.

Clean your ears. (this sounds gross, but you'd be surprised).

BTW: I'm telling you all this as I sit in on all the interviews in my small group whom I work with and these are some of the things that people notice.

Know what the company does, know what they want you to do in the job, and know a little history on the company. Know their numbers if they are a public company. Know how much money they made last year and whether it was a good year. Know how much the stock is worth, ect.

Last but not least....SMILE...be friendly. These people are looking for someone that will be working with them for 8+ hours a day for a long time. They don't want to hire a grouch or somebody that they can't get along with. They have most likely already read your resume, so they know what you've done. Now they want to know if you'd fit in with them. Its like a first date...its the first impression that matters.

I'll stop rambling.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd try to see what everyone in the office wears. The interviewer is looking for someone who "fits in". However, if everyone is wearing kaki's and golf shirts, I'd go with dress slacks, white shirt, tie and no jacket.

The suit minus the jacket is a good combo IMO. You're not over dressed because you're technically not wearing a 3 piece suit. You're not under dressed because you have dress slacks, clean pressed white shirt and a sharp conservative tie. Best of both worlds.

You probably already know this, but research the company and have at least 5 questions to ask. The interviewer will always say "do you have any questions for me?" at the end of the interview. Most people say no and just act relieved the interview is over. If you have questions, it will set you apart from all the other hacks. :)

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great advice. Take it.

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Hmmm...like Dell, but not Dell. Gateway? HP? IBM?

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

First and foremost, I read every response and want to thank each and every one of you for the feedback. To take time from your busy lives and share your thoughts and experiences with me (a stranger) is certainly admirable and definitely appreciated. My hope is that (if I get hired) there is at least one Rockets fan in the office! :)

One of the reasons I pushed back on getting a suit (apart from the $) is the fact that most 42L & 44L suit jackets come with 36" or 38" waists. I am a 32/34 which looks terrible when taken in that much. I have learned in the meantime that 1) there are more mix and match options for that jacket/waist combination than there were 6-8 years ago and 2) alterations of this type no longer take 1 week...1 business day is possible in this millenium!

I need the suit, so I am going to get it. There is time to decide if it is appropriate and I have also thought of a creative way to address the issue verbally if I am "over dressed". I will share if it works.

For those who are interested, it is a company that does major IT outsourcing for Dell so that's the operating environment. One of the many beautiful aspects of Austin...it's still hard to tell the entrepreneurs from the slackers...at least at first glance! ;) And therein lies the reason I had to ask ya'all in the first place. Thanks again.

PS - I have also decided to not were cologne and "take care of business" before heading to the interview! ;)

#28 GATER, Aug 14, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2003